Player of THIS Decade?

Nope in his younger days many locals touted Gibbs to one day be as good as some foreign greats like Lara, Tendulkar and certainly better than Kallis. He scored quite a few double hundreds from under15 level and shattered some school records and if you watch some of his best knocks you can see why, he does everything to perfection (footwork, balance, hand-eye coordination etc) but where he really fails is mentally, he does not have the mental capability to be a great player. Barry Richards, Graeme Pollock, Alan Donald all have said on quite a few occasions in the last decade that Gibbs had the most talent of any SA batsman since re-admission (1992). Sad case though.

And no he's not my favourite player ;)

Well your post clearly points out that he doesn't deserve to be in the same sentence as Tendulkar, Ponting, Lara, Kallis, Richards. What he did in the Under15 level doesn't mean anything really, its what he did as a international player that he is judged on. Gibbs was a good player in both forms of the game but I can name 10 other batsman of this era that are better then Gibbs.

Virat Kholi, Ross Taylor, Jesse Ryder, Hughes and Broad and most likely Vettori will play the whole decade coz NZ would implode if he retired.

Vettori's a good one to mention actually.

Harbhajan as well, both are in their late 20s but that's young(ish) for a spinner, the review system is also going to shake up LBWs so you never know what could happen with them.

Ross Taylor and Jesse Ryder for New Zealand. I'm also thinking of Shaun Marsh, Umar Akmal and Stuart Broad. Graeme Swann has a real good chance with the form that he's in.

Well your post clearly points out that he doesn't deserve to be in the same sentence as Tendulkar, Ponting, Lara, Kallis, Richards. What he did in the Under15 level doesn't mean anything really, its what he did as a international player that he is judged on. Gibbs was a good player in both forms of the game but I can name 10 other batsman of this era that are better then Gibbs.

Well the whole point of that was to show that natural talent does not start at international level. You can't suddenly develop natural talent. Gibbs had it in spades, KP didn't to the same extent, but we all know who is the better player now. Naming 10 better players is pointless for this discussion.

article on cricinfo opened my eyes a bit.

Upul Tharanga anyone? 4-5 years ago he was touted as the next big thing, then he went A-wol and was never spoken of again. just about to turn 25, he's certainly not missed the boat, gambhir's career followed a similar path.

good fielder as well, which I always thinks points to natural athletic ability.

Well the whole point of that was to show that natural talent does not start at international level. You can't suddenly develop natural talent. Gibbs had it in spades, KP didn't to the same extent, but we all know who is the better player now. Naming 10 better players is pointless for this discussion.

I agree with you on the talent thing. Another guy I would add into that is Shiv Chanderpaul. Not the most gifted cricketer but he made a big name for himself by working hard and improving on his game all the time. Heard something like this somewhere "Talent gets you to the big show, hard work keeps you there".

Darren Bravo. ;)

For some reason he didn't play in T&Ts domestic match. Maybe he is injured I am not sure but I was expecting big things from him in this years domestic competition and was expecting him to push for a spot in the ODI team for this upcoming ODI series vs Australia.

Dare added 12 Minutes and 45 Seconds later...

Thirteen to watch | Opinion | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com

good article on cricinfo about 13 players to watch out for this decade.

S.Smith, A.Rashid & M.Marsh???

Tbh Hughes is better than all of them :doh

Well the 3 you mentioned are held in high regard by allot of people. I am surprised that they don't have Hughes but then they don't have a few other guys that I personally would include.

Mohammad yousuf can also be there his odi record is awsome

Mohammad Yousuf (Asia/Pak) 2000-2009 246 235 34 8494 141* 42.25 11258 75.44 13 56 13 690 77
with number 3 posotion
WITH Jaysuriya sehwag sanjakara jayawardene dravid etc behind him and they most of them played good 9+ years
he also broke 37 OR 35 OR WHAT EVER it year record which none of the greats do it
http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/index.html?id=200;type=decade
courtsey cricinfo

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread