Playing Cricket vs. Watching Cricket

Cricket games should replicate more of...

• the experience of playing cricket, being on the field with ball or bat in hand

Votes: 35 72.9%
  • the experience of watching cricket, being entertained by the action as a spectator

Votes: 13 27.1%

• Total voters
...Even bringing back that awesome "player card" idea and being able to create/trade player cards. The lifespan on that wouldn't be long but it would be incredibly fun to make, collect and trade custom teams.... cough @MattW cough

if gwent and hearstone are anything to go by, player card games would be a fantastic addition in APP!

Loved. Loved. Loved the card feature in the last game. Would love to be able to do a team one...

Yea Biggs I had posted a request for that before db14 came out. They could also use the player cards when the player comes out to bat. A team card would be great, both as a trading game and to use in game.

I voted for option A but to be frank it has to be something in middle of the two scenarios. No game can surely incorporate that feeling of being in the middle. The simulation aspect can be achieved with VR but I don't know whether Bigant plan on bringing virtual reality into the fray. The real question is whether we want the experience to be more of simulation or arcadish. Most old time cricket game fans will probably like more simulation than hit and smash kind of gameplay. Bigant however seem to lean towards simulation when it comes to their cricket games. I hope they find the elusive balancing point where game can give you the feeling of being in the middle without being too taxing

making batting enjoyable from the bowler view is vital if you are option b type

I just don't see "Broadcast View" as an enjoyable experience any more... I switched back to Ashes 09 the other day and found "watching me bat" awful. I think BA are ahead of the curve on this one...

I just don't see "Broadcast View" as an enjoyable experience any more... I switched back to Ashes 09 the other day and found "watching me bat" awful.

Totally agree. With Ashes 09 the first job was to get back to where Brian Lara had got, and then build on it - I really regret we didn't get the player cam from IC10 into that, which was far superior to the old broadcast view (which I think we called "retro" view or something).

I do wonder if the reason Cricket games were always like that was because it played better, or how much of it was to do with the fact that graphically it was hard to make anything look good back in those days... Hadn't really thought about it before.

DBC is totally on the right path - Broadcast view is over - better to play the game like the sport, rather than like the TV representation of the sport.

Last edited:
Broadcast view is over

Its still there while bowling though?

For batting i cant get back to broadcast view whatsoever, and when i try old games it really seems so off that i cant really play them, after experiencing the batsman cams of DBC!

Its still there while bowling though?

For batting i cant get back to broadcast view whatsoever, and when i try old games it really seems so off that i cant really play them, after experiencing the batsman cams of DBC!

Now then. There IS something that needs saying - Behind-the-player cams feel much much better to play, BUT for OFFLINE MULTIPLAYER, broadcast is probably still the best option. Because being behind either the bowler or batsman is a real disadvantage to the other player.
I've never come up with a good way to do this.

Now then. There IS something that needs saying - Behind-the-player cams feel much much better to play, BUT for OFFLINE MULTIPLAYER, broadcast is probably still the best option. Because being behind either the bowler or batsman is a real disadvantage to the other player.
I've never come up with a good way to do this.

the player bowling needs to see much less than the player batting, especially in a post-DBC hang the pitch marker world. i'd have a 80/20 sideways split, behind cam batter/bowler.

the player bowling needs to see much less than the player batting, especially in a post-DBC hang the pitch marker world. i'd have a 80/20 sideways split, behind cam batter/bowler.

I actually can't remember how it works in DBC multiplayer? Ironically the removal of the pitch marker makes it harder to make behind-the-batsman camera work for the bowler. Would be very odd to use the current bowling mechanic if you were doing it backwards (mirrored).

I actually can't remember how it works in DBC multiplayer? Ironically the removal of the pitch marker makes it harder to make behind-the-batsman camera work for the bowler. Would be very odd to use the current bowling mechanic if you were doing it backwards (mirrored).

never played multiplayer.

i disagree that the removal of the pitch marker makes it harder. you're using your length determiner and the rhythm of the bowler. i also wouldn't be mirroring it.

i meant that on the left hand 80% you'd have the batsman and the right hand 20% the bowler. by default each would be behind.

the bowling player only needs to see the bowler, since his jump/release is determined by that. the batsman needs to see more, so the majority of the screen is given over the batsman, but from a camera angle perspective, both players are simply seeing it exactly how they would in single player. no mirroring, no control inversion, no complication.

never played multiplayer.

i disagree that the removal of the pitch marker makes it harder. you're using your length determiner and the rhythm of the bowler. i also wouldn't be mirroring it.

i meant that on the left hand 80% you'd have the batsman and the right hand 20% the bowler. by default each would be behind.

the bowling player only needs to see the bowler, since his jump/release is determined by that. the batsman needs to see more, so the majority of the screen is given over the batsman, but from a camera angle perspective, both players are simply seeing it exactly how they would in single player. no mirroring, no control inversion, no complication.

Ahh - You mean split screen?

Users who are viewing this thread