Playing Cricket vs. Watching Cricket

Cricket games should replicate more of...

• the experience of playing cricket, being on the field with ball or bat in hand

Votes: 35 72.9%
  • the experience of watching cricket, being entertained by the action as a spectator

Votes: 13 27.1%

• Total voters
Now then. There IS something that needs saying - Behind-the-player cams feel much much better to play, BUT for OFFLINE MULTIPLAYER, broadcast is probably still the best option. Because being behind either the bowler or batsman is a real disadvantage to the other player.
I've never come up with a good way to do this.

A vertically split screen will solve the issue IMO.

I think a Broadcast Camera is much needed, as for some of us, we love to feel as if we are watching a real game, yet controlling the players. DBC 14 got the Broadcast camera wrong with its drift and it being too far and it was just awkward. The other camera angles were brilliant but i feel a proper Broadcast Camera should DEFINATELY be an option.
No, it's not my opinion: it's the stated position of the developer that the batting mechanism was designed to be used in cameras other than broadcast.

it is moronic to be not able to understand that. you may still decide you want to play the game in broadcast if the game allows that, but asking them to "improve" batting in the camera, when it is specifically designed not to be used for batting, is ridiculous.

i can use my smartphone to stir my tea. if i ask samsung to make it a better spoon they'd laugh at me, because it's not what it's designed for.

it's a very simple point.
He never asked for improving the batting in the broadcast cam he asked for improvement to be made on broadcast cam.

Exactly, I dont need batting to be adjusted to be at one with broadcast camera angle. Im simply asking for broadcast to be more like, well, broadcast on tv. Come on Dave, you are a smart guy, I expected you to get this sooner.

But that is where a broadcast camera would end up after the run-up, unless you mean the static broadcast camera which unless you have a HUGE tv will be hard to time/judge because of the player scale.

Everything you ask for was covered in the lead up to DBC14, it is simply that some people are determined to play the game in a manner contra to its design.

The game isn't designed to be "played" in broadcast.

Who cares just give us a broadcast camera angle for the fun of it !!!! Its no skin off anyones back !!!

Who cares just give us a broadcast camera angle for the fun of it !!!! Its no skin off anyones back !!!
Brother you are now pushing it. We are following Don bradman cricket's development since 2013. This game has been created to give players the real feel of playing cricket not watching cricket. Being a player who has played this game 800+ hours, i can state that behind the batsman camera is the best one for batting. They have put a lot of thought behind changing the broadcast cam cliche which used to restrict the developers in attempting something better. And Ross has said it again and again behind the batsman cam is the one which should be used while batting. And you should operate this game according to it's manual.
Still for bowling the broadcast cam can be tweaked. And ross has stated through twitter that there will be new angles of camera. So, i hope you will get what you want. But don't restrict yourself in old beliefs and try to play the game the way it should be played.

I think all camera angles should be equally as good as one another, none should be prioritized over the other. It should only be a matter of personal preference. Whatever suits the player playing the game

Kamrul, I use behind the batsman camera angle myself. The broadcast in 14 isnt good. I am simply asking for an improved one in case people feel like playing in 'TV' mode so to speak. Can we all stop the attacks now?

This whole debate is easily summed up by the following:

If someone in the office of games developer headquarters didn't one day say "Hey, Castle Wolfenstein is a great game, let's make that again, but stick it in space" and the other guy, Bob said, "Legit, but what if we moved the camera view so it wasn't JUST first person all the time, what about third person?" we wouldn't get the multi billion dollar 3P and RPG franchises that spawned from that shooter...

Innovation creates longevity which endorses more innovation. There will obviously be a broadcast camera option included, but the game is not designed to be experienced using late 80s cricket gaming camera options.

The broadcast camera doesn't need to be "better"

You need to play the game in the way it's intended to be played.

Just like games that have key-mapping options, they're very rarely good for anyone other than the individual who remaps to suit their preference. It also means the game isn't being played the way the developers intended so any issues faced from that point onwards is compromised, for the user.

OK, I'm happy enough with that. Whilst we all can have an opinion, in the end this is Big Ant's game and therefore it's a "Big Ant game".

If it sales are poorer than expected, and players make consistent complaints about a lacking/suboptimal feature that had been mentioned before release, then Big Ant wear it, and can learn from it. If sales are good or better, then we keep on truckin'.

fair-enough.jpg

idiom-fair-enough

which is a pathetic, craven attitude. 99.94% of the people asking for pitch markers are still playing in broadcast cam and moaning they don't have time to pick their shots. of course they don't, because the system was never designed to be played that way. the game mechanic has moved on, it doesn't suit broadcast cam and people need to embrace it.

Big Ant have innovated, the game mechanics have moved on and broadcast is a relic, like a vestigial tail or a rancid appendix. cut it out.

This whole debate is easily summed up by the following:

If someone in the office of games developer headquarters didn't one day say "Hey, Castle Wolfenstein is a great game, let's make that again, but stick it in space" and the other guy, Bob said, "Legit, but what if we moved the camera view so it wasn't JUST first person all the time, what about third person?" we wouldn't get the multi billion dollar 3P and RPG franchises that spawned from that shooter...

Innovation creates longevity which endorses more innovation. There will obviously be a broadcast camera option included, but the game is not designed to be experienced using late 80s cricket gaming camera options.

The only problem here is that cricket is a niche genre unlike FPS and Big Ant's is the only game in town as it stands...so with that literally all of the people who still have an interest to play cricket games will play this one because it's all we have and a lot of those people will want to play using a broadcast camera even though it is not intended to be played like that people just enjoy it, people play games for different reasons and I don't think there is a right way to play the game or a wrong way to play as long as the customers are enjoying it how they want which is also a mark of a good game when you can have a variety of ways to play it. I think that adds to the longevity,

I for one will take broadcast cameras over whatever the other ones are but I still want to play in Pro Cam one day and that for me makes the game feel like it's got more in it to do.

and a lot of those people will want to play using a broadcast camera

Citation required.

The overwhelming anecdotal data in the DBC14 forum and feedback is that broadcast camera view is passe and the future of cricket gaming is moving forward away from it...

I repeat again...

Citation required.

The overwhelming anecdotal data in the DBC14 forum and feedback is that broadcast camera view is passe and the future of cricket gaming is moving forward away from it...

I repeat again...

There's no need for a citation, it's common logic out of however many people buy the next DBC not all of them will enjoy playing with whatever the correct/right way is and yeah the feedback for DBC14 has been good but again...not everyone who bought that version of the game is a member of planetcricket posting on the forums and there's also a lot of people posting that they enjoy playing with broadcast angles.

Also agree innovation does create longevity and they've done a good job thus far with DBC14 and I'm sure they'll continue to do so in 17, but I disagree people need to play the game a certain way because we're all looking for a different experience when playing any game, for me longevity is having a lot of variation and options to fiddle around with and DBC offers that coupled with the great gameplay.

I don't think there'd be any harm in improving the broadcast camera it only seems natural if you're updating and releasing a whole new game, apples and oranges I guess!

i don't want to repeat the arguments of before but:

saying improve the broadcast camera is silly. how should it improve, what are the short comings right now, what systems of the game become a better experience for that change??

if the answer is make it easier for batting, the response is as ive said before: the batting system isn't designed for that.

it is self evident broadcast cam is not ever going to be an effective camera in which to bat in a game with no pitch markers. so what is the improvement you want??

There's no need for a citation

Actually there is when you say:

a lot of those people will want to play using a broadcast camera

Please cite who these people are and their [majority] numbers because as the way I see it time and time again for the past year; you've got about a dozen people that for some unknown reason can't play the game the way it's intended to be played and insist on viewing the game as it's presented on a television screen, rather than the actual way you play cricket IRL which is facing the bowler, not orbiting above him.

When you say this...

I don't think there'd be any harm in improving the broadcast camera

...you are ignoring the overwhelming logic and fact that...

Which we've already covered multiple times.

This is akin to people demanding a FPS mode in a Role Playing Game.

Addendum:

Whilst not specific, anecdotal evidence on this very page supports my argument with:

Cricket games should replicate more of...
  1. the experience of playing cricket, being on the field with ball or bat in hand
    22 vote(s)
    75.9%
...I think 75.9% is a pretty overwhelming majority.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread