Playing Cricket vs. Watching Cricket

Cricket games should replicate more of...

• the experience of playing cricket, being on the field with ball or bat in hand

Votes: 35 72.9%
  • the experience of watching cricket, being entertained by the action as a spectator

Votes: 13 27.1%

• Total voters
As an aside, it's not an argument, it's a discussion. That's why threads are created... to discuss. It's okay to disagree and belabor a point if the point is worth it, which in this case, it is. The game isn't designed using late 80's playing solutions like pitch markers, so there is no added benefit of the broadcast camera for the user as either a batsman or bowler... in fact, the word "immersion" is coined frequently and I couldn't think of anything less immersive than playing Don Bradman Cricket from the broadcast camera. It's exactly what the custom replays are for...

The game is not designed to be "viewed" it's designed to be "experienced" and batting using the behind-the-camera or close-behind camera mode as a batsman, gives you the time to see the ball and play the correct shot as the best representation of how you would experience it on the field. Pro-Cam also offers this to a greater degree, but it's almost a little too distracting and I don't believe it's quite "there" yet as a long-term viewing experience... but it's fun to play around with it.

I would rather see them perfect Pro-Cam, IMHO.

EDIT:

There was a direct correlation between users who found the game "difficult to play" in the early days after launch and "still used broadcast camera" when discussing their issues.

There's a clear reason for that.

If your hang-up on the game is surmised by "everyone wants the broadcast camera to be better" I think you're honestly better off with games that give you pitch markers and that ye-olde experience because I genuinely hope Don Bradman Cricket 17 spends the time it's more than earned to improve the immersive camera options presented in the first game rather than copy-pasting a presentation experience that we've had for almost 20 years.

It's time to innovate, not replicate.

Last edited:
Actually there is when you say:

Please cite who these people are and their [majority] numbers because as the way I see it time and time again for the past year; you've got about a dozen people that for some unknown reason can't play the game the way it's intended to be played and insist on viewing the game as it's presented on a television screen, rather than the actual way you play cricket IRL which is facing the bowler, not orbiting above him.

When you say this...

...you are ignoring the overwhelming logic and fact that...

Which we've already covered multiple times.

This is akin to people demanding a FPS mode in a Role Playing Game.

Addendum:

Whilst not specific, anecdotal evidence on this very page supports my argument with:

...I think 75.9% is a pretty overwhelming majority.

I don't think I said the majority want to play on broadcast. Obviously not everyone who purchases these games is a member on this website unless I'm the only one who enjoys playing on broadcast I can safely say there's others out there too. There's no citations for how many are playing on broadcast and how many aren't...just not possible to do for obvious reasons.

Again I'm not disagreeing that the developer had intended for the game to be played a certain way but as I said I don't see a problem people wanting to play a different way, whatever makes them enjoy it the most is what counts I think. Also a polished "Pro Cam" would be pretty nice it is sort of fun playing on that I have to admit and I have my reasons why I enjoy playing on broadcast a lot which I'll put down below as gunit123 asked :)

I don't want to create another argument here but what specifically do you enjoy/gain from using the broadcast camera? I genuinely can't understand how the broadcast camera adds more enjoyment/benefit than the close/far/pro cameras.

I think there was some arguing in the last few pages over this but no arguing here tbh. Anyway the main reason I like to play broadcast is because I'm as all of you probably are a huge cricket enthusiast and I really enjoy watching the sport and for me I don't play many games but the games I do play I love them to replicate what is seen on tv as much as possible. For example I legitimately get excited when I bowl a ball in DBC14 and they do a forward defensive which gets nicked and caught behind (thanks to francos hack) and that just looks so good to me and feels real...Now you may say "feels real" well when I play the games too I only play international teams and I sort of imagine this match is happening for real haha.

Another thing is when you see a batsmen play a lovely shot on tv it looks amazing from the moment they hit it even to the way the ball goes through the outfield, that's something I really enjoy seeing cricket games replicate too and I get a really nice feeling seeing the ball pierce the outfield and personally I don't really feel much when using the other camera modes, so I guess for me a lot of it is replicating what is on tv as it just makes me think an actual match is going on. Maybe I am an odd case when it comes to this but I don't really view it as playing a video game a lot of the time, I have fantasy stories going on in my head when playing :D

@Biggs I don't use any markers/pitch markers at all because I don't think they're necessary and I think DBC14 is the most authentic feeling game of cricket I've ever played.

but as I said I don't see a problem people wanting to play a different way

Neither do I. You're not reading what I'm typing, let me again be as clear as I possibly can: The game is not intended to be an optimal experience when you chose the broadcast camera. There is no such "improvement" that will change this for you because Big Ant's cricket games have evolved past the use of the broadcast camera to give you the closest experience of playing cricket. The functionality of DBC14 is that you are watching the ball when batting. Not the pitch, not the bowler, not fine leg, not the umpire.

Ergo, anyone is free to select whatever camera is preferred, but that selection impacts upon the fundamental design of the game. There's no improvement required that will change the fact cricket games, designed by Big Ant, have evolved past the need to use that camera as a crutch.

Another thing is when you see a batsmen play a lovely shot on tv it looks amazing from the moment they hit it even to the way the ball goes through the outfield

Expanded replay options along with the current custom replay option already do this very thing. There is no added benefit to being in broadcast view to achieve this.

Neither do I. You're not reading what I'm typing, let me again be as clear as I possibly can: The game is not intended to be an optimal experience when you chose the broadcast camera. There is no such "improvement" that will change this for you because Big Ant's cricket games have evolved past the use of the broadcast camera to give you the closest experience of playing cricket. The functionality of DBC14 is that you are watching the ball when batting. Not the pitch, not the bowler, not fine leg, not the umpire.

Ergo, anyone is free to select whatever camera is preferred, but that selection impacts upon the fundamental design of the game. There's no improvement required that will change the fact cricket games, designed by Big Ant, have evolved past the need to use that camera as a crutch.

This is an excellent summary of the point. People are free to play the game as they wish, but should accept there are limitations in some cameras, arising out of the design of the game. Broadcast camera is designed for a TV viewer watching the reaction of the batsman to the ball. That’s obviously not optimal for a batsman needing to watch the ball to react. I can sit on my coffee table, but it’s never going to be as comfortable as my armchair: one is designed for sitting, the other isn’t.

As I’ve also mentioned previously, it's not helpful to just say “I want a better broadcast cam” or “broadcast camera should be improved”, explain the shortcomings (as you see it) or problems that you’re having, and what changes will improve (or at least what specific experience you’re attempting to improve since you may not have an actual solution to suggest). Otherwise how is BigAnt supposed to know what you would consider to be an improvement? But be prepared that if your problem is “I struggle to bat in broadcast camera” the answer may well be “the batting system is not designed for batting in broadcast, since it’s designed for you to watch the ball”.

Its been mentioned way back, we arent asking for it because we struggle to bat currently. We are asking for the improvement merely because the current one looks awkward. It starts way out on the right and then drifts in and straightens which just doesnt look right. The Cricket 07 broadcast was good, its just a simple fix is all.

Neither do I. You're not reading what I'm typing, let me again be as clear as I possibly can: The game is not intended to be an optimal experience when you chose the broadcast camera.

Right back at you, I never once said the game is optimal in broadcast camera in fact I acknowledged the game is meant to be played a specific way multiple times ;)

Expanded replay options along with the current custom replay option already do this very thing. There is no added benefit to being in broadcast view to achieve this.

Of course there is the replay option but you have to understand some people just like seeing it in broadcast, even on tv I don't enjoy seeing the replays as much as the shot happening live in broadcast, has a different look, feel and crunch to it . Again I never said there was an added benefit merely stating that is how some people enjoy playing their cricket games which is of course an obvious thing to point out and @blockerdave I don't know about others but I only want the broadcast camera improved or given more options so it can feel more like watching the game on tv and that's it, I understand some people struggle to bat in broadcast but I haven't found it much of a problem....or maybe I have seeing as I get bowled out like a under 13s club team most of the time :p

Its been mentioned way back, we arent asking for it because we struggle to bat currently. We are asking for the improvement merely because the current one looks awkward. It starts way out on the right and then drifts in and straightens which just doesnt look right. The Cricket 07 broadcast was good, its just a simple fix is all.

yes, it was indeed discussed way way back...

But that is where a broadcast camera would end up after the run-up, unless you mean the static broadcast camera which unless you have a HUGE tv will be hard to time/judge because of the player scale.

one wonders if you're incapable of understanding or wilfully refusing to understand?

the game is not designed for batting in broadcast. end of.

You were the one who wasnt understanding WHY we wanted it to improve ! Ive explained it. Cricket 07 broadcast camera worked so just copy that. Get out of your bubble and open your ears !

i understood fully why you want it "improved" - because you want to use it for a purpose for which it wasn't designed.

Not everyone thinks like you mate. You are failing to undersand that. If people like playing it in broadcast then leave them be, you are arguing for the sake of it.

i understood fully why you want it "improved" - because you want to use it for a purpose for which it wasn't designed.
Your narrow mind is getting on quite a few nerves. Let the people have what they want, its of no inconvenience to you or anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Err....there should be a third option in this poll

P.s what is the default cam position?

Last edited:
on the one hand, a there's a person saying "play the game as you wish but accept its designed one way and if you play it differently the result might not be optimal. and if you want improvements suggest exactly what you're trying to improve."

on the other hand you've someome saying "wah wah, i like broadcast why isnt it like cricket 07, wah wah wah".

You're right, one of those people is an insufferably narrow minded douchebag.

You love crying for attention dont you? This actually has nothing to do with you ! A lot of people would like a slightly modified broadcast camera. As ive said, its no skin off anyone's back so just be quiet ! You want to stop the joy of quite a few consumers for something that doesnt effect anything other than your huge ego. Tad selfish and sad, that.

Users who are viewing this thread