Review Playtest Review/Preview(Review Links, Updated in First Post)

Well done to all reviewers. This has provided some excellent and informative replies to the majority of the questions we would expect.

It would be fantastic for cricket to finally "break through" and have a wonderful and realistic computer game. It really is time that it caught up with baseball in this regard. For example, baseball games like MLB09: The Show receive high-scoring reviews and new games every year. In fact, if anything this game receives criticism for being "too realistic", mostly by players who don't spend the time practicing to become a qualified, major league player.

I am particularly excited by the Wii release. Imagine driving a half-volley through the covers for four using the Wiimote. That's sweet.

They should integrate that into all versions; isn't the Wiimote compatible with the PC?

MasterBlaster76 added 3 Minutes and 32 Seconds later...

Sorry to ask again, but with these five points cleared up, the game will be massively improved for me:

1. Did you see the ball go through the batsman's pads?
2. Did you see the AI get itself out by leg-glancing onto his stumps?
3. Are sixes a lot harder to time now?
4. Regarding sound/bounce, hopefully you can fix that as you did with 2007, if Codies don't get round to it?
5. One of the things I disliked about BLIC 2007 was the fact that it was almost impossible to bowl someone with a fast bowler, unless you bowled a yorker. Has that been fixed and do the stumps really go flying now?

How does the keeper catch the ball ? In BLIC 2007 they catch with single hand with some jerk. Hope they corrected this time around.In BLIC 2005 it was good

If you look through the thread you will know it's already been answered by lazy. He did it a couple of hours ago.

Sorry to ask again, but with these five points cleared up, the game will be massively improved for me:

1. Did you see the ball go through the batsman's pads?
2. Did you see the AI get itself out by leg-glancing onto his stumps?
3. Are sixes a lot harder to time now?
4. Regarding sound/bounce, hopefully you can fix that as you did with 2007, if Codies don't get round to it?
5. One of the things I disliked about BLIC 2007 was the fact that it was almost impossible to bowl someone with a fast bowler, unless you bowled a yorker. Has that been fixed and do the stumps really go flying now?

1 - no. loads of edges onto pads, nuts, etc., but none through. collisions really good this time it seems
2 - nope. i just got spanked everywhere instead
3 - yes, definitely on Test difficulty
4 - probably can
5 - stump collisions are the same code as 2007, and the only piece of code which has been re-used. not sure about bowling batsmen out. i was too busy being spanked all around Lords by Phil Hughes.

im really concerned about the ability of the AI to chase totals, that was the biggest drawback of the other games, some people have seem to forgoten that, after all what kind of game is it if you make like 300 in a ODI and the AI scores 30ao?

i really hope the AI is improved although lazy_chesnut did say they reused the AI code 4rm the 07 game for the ashes version whais is a downer,

how does the computer responds when human team has made a high total in ODI ? forexample in a 20 20 match if human team has made 200 runs then will the computer pace his innings according to the target or it is same for all whether human team make 80 in 20overs or 200 in 20overs.

what about powerplay ?is it in or not.does computer takes advantage of field restriction by means of hitting boundries or so.

is there any career mode ? does the game only contains ahses or other tournaments as well.

You say there are lots of edges onto the pad. So is it possible for bat pad catches happening for the spinners?

First of all, thanks very much for the reviews guys. You've been very helpful :). I wasn't expecting the game to brilliant, because it won't be. But from the sounds of it, it's a good cricket game. Not great, but good, which is what I've been hoping for. The batting difficulty being improved has really got me excited.

1 - no. loads of edges onto pads, nuts, etc., but none through. collisions really good this time it seems
2 - nope. i just got spanked everywhere instead
3 - yes, definitely on Test difficulty
4 - probably can
5 - stump collisions are the same code as 2007, and the only piece of code which has been re-used. not sure about bowling batsmen out. i was too busy being spanked all around Lords by Phil Hughes.

Thanks for that great bit of news, Lazy! Of course, let's just hope they haven't now made the AI too hard to dismiss!!

BowlingThe reverse options can only be chosen when the ball is old enough and the bowler is good enough. You can find out which deliveries are available by moving the right analogue stick south. This presents you with a menu which lets you look at bowler speeds, ratings, how old the ball is, how old it needs to be to reverse, etc. It's quite cool actually.

Yes! This is the one aspect of the EA effort that bothered me the most. How can I keep spending money on a game when the publisher doesn't even understand reverse swing. Great news and thanks a lot for taking the time to post all this.

Well, I better make this message ' with effort' as I have just been done for spam (?).
Anyway, a great huge thankyou is deserved to lazy because of how much effort he has gone into giving us a great idea of the game, and also Kamy with his huge review. I for one am extremely impressed as most of us here are, and I can't wait to experience the game. Just a couple of questions though:

1. How has the fielding been improved? For example: Anims, getting 'orange' in catch, and run outs.

2. How do the crowd react to the decisions and boundaries in T20?

3. Will this comment get done for spam?

Thankyou :D

Bad points of AC2009, and Fielding

I said I would post some more reaction to my playtest and here we go:

Fielding
The fielding mechanics are, in general, good. There is heavy usage of Jamie's risk/reward mantra in the fielding. Firstly there is the catching. As we all know by now, when a catch is on offer, the ball gets a coloured corona, going from red to orange to green. Press X/A or whatever in the red and you drop it, in the green you catch it, and in the orange, it depends on how near to the green you were, and also on the abilities of the player. I suspect there may be some dependence on the catch difficulty, but I'm not really sure about that. I found that this works pretty well, and even though the game is slowed to 'bullet-time' during the catching process, you still need good reactions and timing to succeed. The best point about this system compared to 2007 is that it actually feels like it was your fault if you drop it, rather than because the game cheated you (I know this idea was something Jamie was keen on throughout the entire game, and it shows).

Ground fielding is automatic and is well executed by the fielders, who behave quite realistically. For example, if you have a guy a short extra cover, and you smack it straight at him, he will probably stop it, rather than running off like a loony as in 2007. When it comes to throwing, you can either press nothing, in which case the ball is returned to the 'keeper (and I think with 0% chance of overthrows, but I may be wrong) with a kind throw. If there is a chance of a run-out, you can use the right stick to direct the throw to either end, and the end glows orange in the picture-in-picture of the pitch. This leads to a much harder throw, and can result in overthrows, especially if you throw to the bowler's end before the bowler (or someone else) has got to cover the stumps. These powerful throws along with the cool running-between-the-wickets system lead to genuine excitement when there is a run-out chance, especially when an attempted direct hit misses with you clean out of your ground.

Bad Points
These are all the bad points I can think of about the game, in no particular order.

Strange, out of context animations
During slip catches, often the slip will be running in whilst catching the ball, which looks a bit odd, but doesn't affect the way it plays. It's not every time, but more often than seems proper.

Crazy 'keeper
The wicket keeper still does his one-handed takes when the ball is wide of him, rather than moving his feet. Again, this is aesthetic and doesn't affect the way the game plays. Also, the 'keeper seemed to take some stupendous catches off edges from spinners. I'm talking diving catches with about 1ft of reaction time.

Overthrows
I'm not entirely sure on this one, but it seemed that there were slightly too many overthrows going on. However, this may have been because I was always choosing a powerful throw, even when there wasn't really a run-out chance. Time will tell on this one.

Loopy bounce
Already covered in this thread, but it seems that the bounce of the pitch is too high still.

Too many back-foot shots to full balls
I suspect that this may be due to the bounce of the ball being a bit tennis-bally, but basically, the default shots tend to sway heavily towards back-foot shots even when the ball would be too full to play that way in real life. Which leads onto....

'Good' length is actually a pretty bad length
When bowling, your cursor will change colour to tell you if the ball is aiming in a good position, but this 'good' position seems invariably to be a half-volley on or outside off-stump. Possibly due to the too-loopy bounce.

Dodgy cut shots to third man still in
A few times, the CPU spanked me for 6 over fine third man. This really made me cringe.

Test Match Batting AI
On hard difficulty, I got spanked for around 10 an over. However, this may have been because I had got the bowling marker colour the wrong way around, thinking green meant good for the bowler, when it actually means, easy for the batsman. Once their confidence was up they went mental.

No online save games
Same as in 2007, there is no way of saving a Test match online, which is a big shame. This is especially true if the AI isn't the best, and has the potential to make 'The Ashes' pointless.

When will I ever bowl a bad ball?
You can aim your delivery wherever you like, with no difficulty. This means you can essentially bowl perfect line and length every ball. You can bowl 'bad balls' by not getting into the light green section of the bowling 'goodness meter', but that just makes the ball easier to hit harder, rather than changing its pitch position (there is a good reason for this, which is that bowling a 'bad ball' would surprise the batsman and therefore make it a better ball). It would be nice if there was some degree of wobbling, latency or classic 'BLC99 floating' of the pitch point marker when aiming. Or at least have a bigger aiming circle for worse bowlers which then goes to a specific point at a time dependent on the bowler's ability (better bowlers should go to the specific point later on). There would then be some random element to the pitch point, which could be affected by skill, stamina, confidence, etc. At the moment the skill, stamina and confidence values only work with the 'goodness meter' to effectively give you a ball difficulty rating for the batsman to hit. This seems a little shallow to me. I'm sure it'll be worked on for the next version though.

That's the lot unless I can think of any others later on.

thanks a lot lazy, I just pre ordered the game, your review convinced me although in all honesty I was going to buy it whether it was good or crap. Just wondering what system you are getting it for? Ps3 is the only way for us Yanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a lot but think how long the bug list was for BLIC 2007! Plus, a lot of those points are either purely graphical, might be fixed in the final build, or might not even be problems anyway.

I own neither an 360 nor a PS3, so it'll be PC for me. But then I don't really have a gaming PC as I have a iMac with an XP boot partition, so the graphics card is basically a beefed up notebook card, I think. It's an ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro, if that means anything to anyone.

It is a lot but think how long the bug list was for BLIC 2007! Plus, a lot of those points are either purely graphical, might be fixed in the final build, or might not even be problems anyway.

I own neither an 360 nor a PS3, so it'll be PC for me. But then I don't really have a gaming PC as I have a iMac with an XP boot partition, so the graphics card is basically a beefed up notebook card, I think. It's an ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro, if that means anything to anyone.

my fast and terrible typing is at fault there, I meant "thanks a lot" which I have edited now. And you are right about the bugs mainly being aesthetic, I dont much care for that, just want to play a solid test match.
Did you find out if there is an online ranking system?

Users who are viewing this thread