Review Playtest Review/Preview(Review Links, Updated in First Post)

Thanks to all of those who took the time to post the reviews. They seem really positive and I'm looking foward to the game.

Just an aesthics question. Can scores be displayed in the English way and the Australian way? (Eg: 100/2 or 2/100)

The last thing posted in #413 says yes you can have runs/wickets or wickets/runs.

First of all, I would like to thank all of the reviewers for some excellent and in-depth reviews and for taking the time to answer all questions that have been asked of them. It has taken me a long time to read all of this thread, split up over a couple of days, and it is obvious that this is going to be an amazing cricket game, one that has been highly anticipated for a couple of years. However, it was not until a few minutes ago that i infact realised that all of my built up excitement had gone to waste, because i don't actually have a PS3, Xbox 360 or even a decent PC! Oh well, maybe next time.:(

Anyway, I was wondering, like the previous version, would their be a psp game released of the ashes 2009 or maybe even for the ashes 2010/2011? I felt that in fact, unlike the ps2 game, the psp game was a much more stable game and had a lot of the glitches removed (e.g the keeper constantly removing the bails). I realise I may be asking a bit too much, however it may be an idea for future development.

Thanks once again to the reviewers, and of course, Transmission Games.:clap

Two quick questions. One that wasn't answered earlier and a new one.

1) Is the turn & drift still exaggerated from better spin bowlers like Murali?
2) It's all fine and well that the AI is responsive in that it changes fields based on your shots, but does it also change fields based on the situation? For example, does it bring in fielders when 2 runs are needed off the last ball of the match?

i just have one question. if i remember correctly, in BLIC 07 u can come down the ground to hit the ball only if your confidence is full (i might be wrong, because i played it a long time ago. if i am wrong, ignore this question) Are we allowed to come down the pitch now anytime we want?

Sorry, dunno if this question has been answered as I'm a new member, but I thought I'd say I saw in a video of Graham Manou and Callum Ferguson playing it, and Manou charged down the wicket when it was 0/0 off 0.0, so I think it doesn't have much to do with confidence.

Just thought of something.

I'm sorry to be the one to throw a nasty, soggy, freezing cold wet blanket over all this, but weren't the playtest reviews from BLIC 2007 equally positive?

Feel very free to prove me wrong! In fact, I'd love it if I was completely wrong and talking utter BS! :D

Yeah, I haven't read them myself but a possiblity BLIC07's reviews were equally positive because they had less to compete with in the past. Only BLIC 05 and Cricket 05. You have to consider how AC09 is also being weighed against BLIC 07, and is noting improvements.

With the standard reviews here i can certainly say that this game will not disappoint us. Anyone knows exact date of demo release? In custom fielding can we keep fielders where ever we wanted? what are the minimum requirements?

One question here regarding the bowling:

How easy is it to plot the downfall of a batsman to get his wicket?
Is based on pure luck that i would get an edge or can i use real cricketing
strategies to make him play a shot that i want and get him out?

With the standard reviews here i can certainly say that this game will not disappoint us. Anyone knows exact date of demo release? In custom fielding can we keep fielders where ever we wanted? what are the minimum requirements?

I'm sure in custom fielding all the general international fielding restrictions for ODIs and Twenty20s will apply, ie 5 fielders max outside the ring, but only 2 (or 3 for powerplays I think). Oh yeah, that reminds me, there are powerplays in this game, which is great. As are free hits.

Hey, also, I was thinking if you keep putting up a players skill, with those upgrades apply to online matches?

And I have to agree with whoever said that continuous improvement will lead to everyone being 100 skill.

Also, another thing that occurred to me, and one that is probably not even possible to fix, is the ability to like, fake out the AI. Things like bowling wide yorkers when the batsman is expecting a straight one, or a slow bouncer (which is popular in Twenty20 nowadays) are likely to get mercilessly punished to the boundary.

Bringing the keeper up to Bracken and company would have been fantastic. :(

I'm sick with excitement for this game though, and now I've started to save for a 360, which I never thought I would do.

Last edited:
Oh yeah also, do the commentators really acknowledge records like fastest 50 ever and highest scores and stuff? And can you set your own to be stored in the game?

That would be awesome.

Also, with the designing of new uniforms, how far can we do this? Is it like the FIFA games where you can toggle through designs and assign different colours or do you just have to assign like an international one? Now that I've written this I realise it's a bit silly as you would hardly have had time to explore that. Ah well, I can hope.

For custom teams, anyone have any idea how you're supposed to make a uniform? Is it like FIFA where you could choose a design and then assign colours (which was brilliant) or is it gonna be like BLIC where you toggle through the international teams kits?

I thought the AI in the ODI was all about momentum, much like how players such as Chanderpaul within an instance can go from 1st to 5th gear, the AI could do this with good rated batsmen, against poor bowling then it would but the bad ball away as you would expect. If you took a wicket then they would sort of consolidate before going after the bowling again. Pacing was amazing, simply amazing how they have achieved this. Yea you did feel the pressure if they batted for a while because they were difficult to get out once set.

:O Does he have a BATTING* side on action!?

edit.

i would be grateful if someone could answer this.

am not sure if you got the time to check this but while batting , are we given the oppurtunity to choose the batting powerplay bcoz its the batting team that chooses it.
did jamie , heath or anyone else among the makers give any clue of how the powerplay worked in the game.

thanks

Thanks to all the fellas that did reviews, appreciate it.

Can't wait for the game to come out.

Can any of the reviewers tell me if the cut/late cut to third man has been revamped and made realistic. Dab to third man is one of the most important shots in cricket to get singles and keep the scoreboard ticking but no cricket game including blc 99 has captured this all important shot. I hope work has been done on this one. If some one from playtest has tried it, please let us know.

Thanks for the fantastic in depth reviews.

I know it has been asked before, but there was no real concrete answer - does the lighting change during a match (morning to afternoon). Also, can you play day/night one day matches, ie: day time for the first innings and night time for the second innings?

Cricket 07 failed with this.

Users who are viewing this thread