Review Playtest Review/Preview(Review Links, Updated in First Post)

A different Question, regarding resolution. Is Ashes 09 HD 720p or HD 1080p ?

it better be 1080p!

quick question that I have asked and not yet been answered, did any of the testers find out if there is an online ranking system?

Aha! I knew there was a good reason to attempt a full ODI. Yes, modern rules limited overs rules, including the batting and bowling Powerplays, are in force. When available, players are prompted to take a Powerplay, with the bowling team getting first choice. In retrospect, it could get a little annoying to be asked 20 times if you want to take your Powerplay, but oh well.

In regards to the batting mechanics, you'll find many things are possible, but the focus is on actual skill being the main factor. The batsmen can play a wider than ever range of shots. You may be able to make the batsman sidestep and play a highly unorthodox shot, but the margin for error will be small and the timing of the shot will be quite different to a safer shot. Plus, I'm sure the front/back play has been mentioned. You can play with automatic footwork, but you will be rewarded with more accurate placement for choosing the most appropriate stance.

The bowling mechanics are intuitive. Accuracy is important, but it's not just about landing the same delivery six times on a coaster. Producing a good change-up affects how the batsman must time the ball and could induce the chance you couldn't get because you were getting a bit predictable. It's a little bit about dealing combinations to a batsman and holding onto your ace until it's most effective. Due to the double-tap nature of the controls you can also use this to disguise the ball you're really going to bowl.

If your batsman is playing straight and mostly defending, the best chance of a catch will be to the keeper. Cross batted shots also tend to behave and a top edge doesn't just veer off to the slips. The slips come into play for attacking off side shots.

You can actually play quite a few streaky shots without creating a genuine chance. Yes, the edge sometimes goes racing away. It might sound frustrating, but it's a much more enjoyable bowling game as a result. There are reasons to go "ooh" and "ahh". You can actually enjoy the overs where you don't take a wicket, because you're in the contest.

The atmosphere at games I'm sure has been covered in review. Light in the game does vary, but not dynamically; the reason being that it just doesn't look as good. One thing you never get from screenshots is that the game has very slick animation and a lot of work has gone into the way the game looks in motion. There will be some shots or plays where you'll be dying to see the replay. The actual fields vary between the various grounds, as do things like smog or sunshine and of course there are plenty of ambient effects to keep you immersed. There is a considerable variety of music and different locales have their own tastes.

Aha! I knew there was a good reason to attempt a full ODI. Yes, modern rules limited overs rules, including the batting and bowling Powerplays, are in force. When available, players are prompted to take a Powerplay, with the bowling team getting first choice. In retrospect, it could get a little annoying to be asked 20 times if you want to take your Powerplay, but oh well.

In regards to the batting mechanics, you'll find many things are possible, but the focus is on actual skill being the main factor. The batsmen can play a wider than ever range of shots. You may be able to make the batsman sidestep and play a highly unorthodox shot, but the margin for error will be small and the timing of the shot will be quite different to a safer shot. Plus, I'm sure the front/back play has been mentioned. You can play with automatic footwork, but you will be rewarded with more accurate placement for choosing the most appropriate stance.

The bowling mechanics are intuitive. Accuracy is important, but it's not just about landing the same delivery six times on a coaster. Producing a good change-up affects how the batsman must time the ball and could induce the chance you couldn't get because you were getting a bit predictable. It's a little bit about dealing combinations to a batsman and holding onto your ace until it's most effective. Due to the double-tap nature of the controls you can also use this to disguise the ball you're really going to bowl.

If your batsman is playing straight and mostly defending, the best chance of a catch will be to the keeper. Cross batted shots also tend to behave and a top edge doesn't just veer off to the slips. The slips come into play for attacking off side shots.

You can actually play quite a few streaky shots without creating a genuine chance. Yes, the edge sometimes goes racing away. It might sound frustrating, but it's a much more enjoyable bowling game as a result. There are reasons to go "ooh" and "ahh". You can actually enjoy the overs where you don't take a wicket, because you're in the contest.

The atmosphere at games I'm sure has been covered in review. Light in the game does vary, but not dynamically; the reason being that it just doesn't look as good. One thing you never get from screenshots is that the game has very slick animation and a lot of work has gone into the way the game looks in motion. There will be some shots or plays where you'll be dying to see the replay. The actual fields vary between the various grounds, as do things like smog or sunshine and of course there are plenty of ambient effects to keep you immersed. There is a considerable variety of music and different locales have their own tastes.

WAO^E!!!!!!!!

hi angryangy Did you go to the midweek testing in australia if so is this your review if so thanks :D

What was the boundary music like? Is it like actual songs or are they random tunes haha. And oh yeah, thanks to all that gave descriptions. I'm really looking forward to playing it now.

Last edited:
Mods have been quite for quite a long time now. If i remember correctly, one of the mods saide last week that there may be some surprises this week.. Still waiting for the big news mods.:p:p

P.S: Was those EA Sports Cricket 09 Exclusive news were real or Fake?? I doubt it was latter and you mods have played a joke on the other users:banana2:banana2

P.S: Was those EA Sports Cricket 09 Exclusive news were real or Fake?? I doubt it was latter and you mods have played a joke on the other users:banana2:banana2

Well thanks for the vote of confidence. We've got no idea what happening with C09 but the info was, obviously, genuine. As has been said elsewhere the game has been finished and we know the features but EA may choose not to release it.

Well thanks for the vote of confidence. We've got no idea what happening with C09 but the info was, obviously, genuine. As has been said elsewhere the game has been finished and we know the features but EA may choose not to release it.

Holy hell theres a Cricket 09??

I can't believe I didn't know that. Are you sure? I've heard absolutely nothing about it. So do you reckon they're gonna release it soon?

dajesmac added 8 Minutes and 1 Seconds later...

Wait, I found it. Is it true it's only on PC?

No, we're not sure if they're planning on releasing but the game was completed back in February. See the C09 speculation thread for info.

Hi, in Ashes, do you guys think there are there going to be rain delays and if it rains long enough or almost long enough D/L method would come into play?

Alrighty, cheers Barmy

I actually found this too.

dajesmac added 1 Minutes and 29 Seconds later...

Hi, in Ashes, do you guys think there are there going to be rain delays and if it rains long enough or almost long enough D/L method would come into play?

Well, I think they would've mentioned something about it in like that interview with Jamie Firth (I think it was, and I hope thats his name), because it is a new feature. So I doubt it, but it would be a good idea.

dajesmac added 41 Minutes and 42 Seconds later...

It just occurred to me, does anybody reckon (or know) if they'll include the players that participated in that rebel Indian Cricket League such as Moh'd Yousuf, Shane Bond, Darryl Tuffey, Lou Vincent etc etc? It's an interesting thought. I know Bond just came back but that was only just recently.

Alrighty, cheers Barmy

I actually found this too.

dajesmac added 1 Minutes and 29 Seconds later...

Well, I think they would've mentioned something about it in like that interview with Jamie Firth (I think it was, and I hope thats his name), because it is a new feature. So I doubt it, but it would be a good idea.

dajesmac added 41 Minutes and 42 Seconds later...

It just occurred to me, does anybody reckon (or know) if they'll include the players that participated in that rebel Indian Cricket League such as Moh'd Yousuf, Shane Bond, Darryl Tuffey, Lou Vincent etc etc? It's an interesting thought. I know Bond just came back but that was only just recently.

no idea, but i hope they will have Brendon Nash and Dirk Nannes (if they have Netherlands that is)

Mods have been quite for quite a long time now. If i remember correctly, one of the mods saide last week that there may be some surprises this week.. Still waiting for the big news mods.:p:p

What news would that be? The release date may be???

Users who are viewing this thread