Pontings captaincy

formula1man

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I know this has been debated many times, and this has nothing to do with whether I like him or not. But i feel its time to hand the captaincy to Michael Clarke. He shouldn't retire, just stop captaining. We need experience in the side, but if this is truly a rebuilding phase, I think you should have a young captain.

We have alot of young players in the side and I feel they lack confidence under Ricky. They are learning but Ricky was blessed with a great side when he started, and I think he doesn't handle losing well. I've noticed he gets angry, has bad body language and kind of puts down our youngsters. young people learn best from young teachers, and i think Clarke's optimism will help breed confidence in the young players coming in

P

pcfan123

Well if he retains the Ashes then there is no reason for him to go. Probably keep him for the 2010 Ashes too and then the 2011 WC is right around the corner. I reckon thats when he might resign, after the 2011 WC

chainsnatcher

School Cricketer
Why not give Mr.cricket a chance ? I know Clarke has the experience but is he capable of handling the pressure of full-time captaincy ? I don't think so.I feel he does not have the maturity to be a great leader.The only reason Ponting is still the captain is because he is the most experienced player in the squad and he has a pretty enviable track record if you dont take the last year and a half into account.

P

pcfan123

Mr Cricket might not be around in a year or so. Dont see him playing more than 10-15 more Tests if he continues batting the way he has been. Im willing to bet he will finish averaging less than 50 in his career, Clarke is young and seems to get along with the new breed. He will be around for a longer than Huss.

chainsnatcher

School Cricketer
The only thing I have got against Clarke is that he has got no class just like Punter.

P

pcfan123

an Australian with no class? also deserts are hot, rain falls from sky ;)

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I'm suprised how critical Warne has been on commentary of Ponting. I always knew there was needle with Warne being passed over for the job despite being the outstanding candidate but he's certainly not sugar-coating anything.

P

pcfan123

Warnie is not one to sugar coat anything, except his donuts

lexluger

Club Captain
Ponting's the best leader right now.Maybe wait for another year or two before someone else shows signs of leadership.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
I just feel Ponting should drop the captaincy because he's pretty poor at it. Poor body language, poor tactics, struggles under pressure. Give it to someone else who is not only younger, but a good leader and a smart cricketer.

jordox

International Cricketer
The trouble with giving it to Clarke is that he is one of the most over rated players in the world - who doesn't deserve to be captain.

Ponting's captaincy has been no worse than Strauss' this series. It's just that Australia happen to be loosing right now.

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
Why not give Mr.cricket a chance ? I know Clarke has the experience but is he capable of handling the pressure of full-time captaincy ? I don't think so.I feel he does not have the maturity to be a great leader.The only reason Ponting is still the captain is because he is the most experienced player in the squad and he has a pretty enviable track record if you dont take the last year and a half into account.

His position in the team is under threat, I wouldn't exactly give him the captaincy when he is struggling to hold up a position in the team.

OffCutters

International Coach
Just let him be if we win the Ashes. Then he`ll retire in 2-3 years and the captaincy will go to Michael Clarke.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
The trouble with giving it to Clarke is that he is one of the most over rated players in the world - who doesn't deserve to be captain.

Ponting's captaincy has been no worse than Strauss' this series. It's just that Australia happen to be loosing right now.
I think Strauss has had better body language, and seems to be doing a better job when it comes to talking to his team and bowlers. Tactics wise, I can't tell who is better as I haven't seen Strauss that much.

Clarke might not deserve captaincy, true. But their must be other options right? Hussey? Katich? Actually, come to think of it, Ponting's probably the only man for the job at the moment until Clarke starts handling pressure better.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Ponting has always being very harshly judged though, it's not his fault Australia were stacked with talent. I feel is captaincy is decent, but not that great. But some people seem to think he couldn't lead a team out of a huddle.

I'm not that convinced over Michael Clarke either. He migth prove to be a very good captain but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one, Ponting could actually look like a genius compared to Clarke if you ask me.

Users who are viewing this thread