Pontings captaincy

I think Strauss has had better body language, and seems to be doing a better job when it comes to talking to his team and bowlers. Tactics wise, I can't tell who is better as I haven't seen Strauss that much.

So you are judging them off "body language" and how well he talks to his team? Okay, so that means absolutely nothing coming from you. The only people who can judge that are the players and possibly officials. Not someone watching on tele.

Tactics wise (the only thing we can judge), Strauss has been no better than Ponting this series.

Body Language is a big thing. If he is drooping, looking annoyed, frustrated, it rubs off on the rest of the team. Strauss has looked calmer. Micheal Vaughan had the ability to never looked fussed regardless of what was happening, his calm demeanour mean when others looked at him, and saw him relax, they would relax as well, which is very helpful in pressure situations. Strauss has look a bit confused, worried and annoyed at times, but he has been better than Ponting who has made it very clear he is annoyed, angry, irritated at his bowlers and even argues with the umpires. Not good signals to send a young side.

And by talking I don't mean the words he says. It's the body language again. Ponting looks animated, irritated, annoyed. Strauss, again, looks calmer, more relaxed. One would presume this means he is being more re-assuring to his players than Ponting, but that could be wrong.

Tactically, I can't judge as I haven't seen Strauss enough. Ponting has always appeared to be short on creativity when it comes to tactics and tends to not have a plan B or a plan C when his main plan goes wrong. Can't tell if Strauss is the same, but it could be.

And by talking I don't mean the words he says. It's the body language again. Ponting looks animated, irritated, annoyed. Strauss, again, looks calmer, more relaxed. One would presume this means he is being more re-assuring to his players than Ponting, but that could be wrong.

That's probably because Ponting missed a run out then dropped a catch in the space of a few balls, and is being absolutely flogged by a team they should have beaten in the first test. Any human being on Earth would look annoyed after that. Add to the mix that Ponting is under more pressure, and I understand why he looks more annoyed than Strauss who is still new to it all and is doing great.

But yeah, from a tactics point of view I don't think Strauss is miles better than Ponting. Why on earth he was telling his bowlers to bowl short to Siddle and Hauritz, without a third man... Who knows. But yeah, it's easy to judge them from here. I think both of them are ok, and Ponting certainly cops more flack than he deserves.

Not only yesterday, Ponting generally looks irritated and lost when things don't go his way. True, any human would be annoyed, but a captain isn't supposed to show that. Again, I point to Michael Vaughan, even MS Dhoni and Graeme Smith. Kumar Sangakarra too.

True, Ponting cops too much, he is actually a very underrated captain, i dont mind him, he`s not too bad.

The trouble with giving it to Clarke is that he is one of the most over rated players in the world - who doesn't deserve to be captain.

Sorry? What was that? Overrated... Doesn't deserve to be captain... Hmm. I'm thinking his knock last night says something else.

There is nothing special about his captaincy He had the best side of the decade which helped him win two world cups.You can see the status of the new team:eek:

I agree with formula1man.
Clarke is all set to take the captaincy from Punter.
Ponting is a good captain, but only if his side has the players like pidge, warne, gilly, haydos, martyn,etc.
Now that they have gone, we can see how GOOD captain Ponting is

Sorry? What was that? Overrated... Doesn't deserve to be captain... Hmm. I'm thinking his knock last night says something else.

Sorry Matt, still doesn't convince me.

His knock the other day was brilliant - but it wasn't under pressure. The situation he and Haddin were batting in was perfect, it was like a batting net. No one expected Australia to win, so they could go out their with a license to bat naturally and play their shots.

The only bit of pressure that was ever on the pair was first session of today's play, and that didn't last long.

He's a brilliant player, but I'm still waiting on the day when he does something that saves Australia. He's capable of it.

Sorry Matt, still doesn't convince me.

His knock the other day was brilliant - but it wasn't under pressure. The situation he and Haddin were batting in was perfect, it was like a batting net. No one expected Australia to win, so they could go out their with a license to bat naturally and play their shots.

The only bit of pressure that was ever on the pair was first session of today's play, and that didn't last long.

He's a brilliant player, but I'm still waiting on the day when he does something that saves Australia. He's capable of it.

agreed, end of the day, he didnt save Australia. Just got his 100.

I agree with formula1man.
Clarke is all set to take the captaincy from Punter.
Ponting is a good captain, but only if his side has the players like pidge, warne, gilly, haydos, martyn,etc.
Now that they have gone, we can see how GOOD captain Ponting is

Same goes for your so call captain cool Dhoni, he will be a huge failure, once the maestros bails out. We have lost Ashes even in 2005, that time all the players you mentioned were present. So, don't talk utter rubbish.

Not to mention his over rate.

Same goes for your so call captain cool Dhoni, he will be a huge failure, once the maestros bails out. We have lost Ashes even in 2005, that time all the players you mentioned were present. So, don't talk utter rubbish.

Why are you talking about Dhoni all of a sudden? McGrath was injured for a lot of 2005

Users who are viewing this thread