India's team for the World Cup 2007

Do you think the current Indian side is fit for the World Cup?

• Yes, the team is perfectly balanced and ready for WC

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • No, we want players like Saurav, Laxman, Kumble,etc. back

Votes: 17 70.8%
  • Can't say

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters

yashved

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
What do you think about the current Indian side under Rahul Dravid's leadership? Is it fit to go for the World Cup 2007 or are there some changes required to be done....

I personally think that the present Indian side is not at its optimum level as compared to the team under Saurav Ganguly in World cup 2003. The team under Saurav Ganguly was much more passionate, dedicated and integrated and had an almost perfect mixture of youth and experience, as compared to the present Indian side.

No doubt, the current Indian side has its own merits, especially in the new additions of all-rounders like Dhoni and Pathan. The initial victories of Rahul's team were only in favourable sub-continent conditions, which was not the same with World Cup 2003 Team under Ganguly.

I have nothing against Rahul Dravid here, he is a fairly good captain, but sometimes, it all leads to a feeling that the image or the role of an aggressive thinking captain in the form of Ganguly is somewhat missing in this new Indian side. The management/board has blindly gone in search of young talent instead of a mixture of youth and experience.

Although this has led to rise of wide range of young players, the experience factor would still be missing, especially under challenging situations in world cup.

I think it is high time now that the BCCI realizes that alongwith young players, India also needs experienced players like Ganguly, Laxman in the side, atleast till the World Cup, after which the young players can be groomed properly to suit the needs of the side.

What do you guys think?

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Remember India's first two games at the World Cup? Did anyone think they would get to the final after those two games? They struggled against minnows and then they lost, badly, to Australia.

Then they hit the form of their lives.

I think India just lost some form, and that's okay for me, as long as they get the peak at the correct time, right before the Cup.

BigCrickNan

Chairman of Selectors
I think the current Indian team is good but they need to adjust to the conditions in the West Indies as they showed in the ODI series. Their spin attack is well balanced with Powar and Harbhajan and their pace attack is doing well. I think their batting let them down againt the Windies so i think expereicned players should come back in like Ganguly and Laxman.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
I think Indian Cricket Board can sort the team out in 10-11 months, yeah?

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
I wan to see Ganguly back, and as skipper. If they aren't going to bring him back, someone else should be captian. Dravid is just poor at setting fields, swapping bowlers, especially in pressure situations. I would prefer to see Kaif as skipper if Dada won't be returning.

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
ZoraxDoom said:
I wan to see Ganguly back, and as skipper. If they aren't going to bring him back, someone else should be captian. Dravid is just poor at setting fields, swapping bowlers, especially in pressure situations. I would prefer to see Kaif as skipper if Dada won't be returning.

I think no chance for Ganguly again.....Dravid has done well according to me.... Just becos of this one loss we cant blame him!!!!

The WC squad for India should be likely,

1)Sachin
2)Sehwag
3)Dravid
4)Yuvi
5)Kaif
6)Raina
7)Dhoni
8)I.Pathan
9)H.Singh or Powar or Kumble
10)Fast Bowler
11)Fast Bowler

Fast Bowler : Agarkar/SreeSanth/Munaf/RPSingh....
Mostly Agarkar and Sreesanth will make up a good combination!!!!

I think this will do the right composition!!!! India has got this squad now....only thing they have to do is, "Practice Hard"!!!!

In this tight 11, no chance for Ganguly even to peep there... :rolleyes:

Still a long time to go!!! Before that we have to concentrate on Champions Trophy!!!!

:cheers :cheers :cheers

cricket_lover

International Cricketer
If Ganguly can perform very well in county and domestic, he can still make it. You cannot write of anyone.

I strongly feel Kumble should be picked for ODI's. He's among the most successful ODI bowler, and his experience will be more than an asset.
Laxman is a hard one. I felt he would have made a difference in the ODI series against WI. He can keep the scoreboard ticking, and get the boundaries. He has improved as an ODI player, but his running between the wickets and fielding have led to his downfall. If he can improve, he might get a chance in the WC.

Like i have always stated, you got to have stability in the batting line-up. With Tendulkar returning, i'm sure that'll be fine.

Powar is fine, atleast until the WC. I think Yuvi, Sachin and Sehwag will need to get some overs as well, just in case.

BigCrickNan

Chairman of Selectors
cricket_lover said:
I strongly feel Kumble should be picked for ODI's. He's among the most successful ODI bowler, and his experience will be more than an asset.

If i was Indian i would prefer Powar playing, so Kumble could play tests for 2 more years maybe.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
I would say it's too early to predict. Since a lot can happen between these months. Just like the past two weeks. India were a bit high, but West Indies showed they're capable off.

And Even Ganguly could be captain again if India keeps losing. :rolleyes: That's how quickly things go there when things go wrong.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
surendar said:
I think no chance for Ganguly again.....Dravid has done well according to me.... Just becos of this one loss we cant blame him!!!!
I never wanted Dravid as skipper. I though he was poor against RSA and Lanka too. It should be either Kaif, or Dada should return.

cricket_lover

International Cricketer
Drewska said:
If i was Indian i would prefer Powar playing, so Kumble could play tests for 2 more years maybe.
that may be the reason for his omission, and i don't actually mind that. But it would be great if he can perform in the WC.

Ritwik

co-founder
I think most of the Indian fans are over reacting. India have lost in alien conditions and they were missing Tendulkar who would be an automatic selection in any squad. Dravid admitted that Indians could not adjust to the low pace of the wickets and more importantly - WI played very well as a unit. This Indian team is just inexperienced, and this WI series will do a world of good in that department for the young players.

Its time to look at the future of Indian cricket, which does not lie in returning to players in their 30s who cannot field well. This applies equally to Ganguly, Kumble and Laxman. In one day cricket you want utility players who can bat, bowl and field well and thus create chances for the team. Raina for example, can effect wonderful run-outs and catches which can energise the entire team.

This is the first time I've seen an Indian selection panel look at an issue dispassionately and with the best interests of Indian cricket in mind - I agree that the manner in which Ganguly was effectively shown the door did leave a bad taste in the mouth, but now its done there is no reason to go back in history, else it will be a case of one step forward, two steps back.

Everyone here seems to be chanting "Ganguly, Laxman and Kumble". Have they forgotten that Ganguly almost completely sidelined Kumble during his reign as skipper (ironically, It was ganguly who always pushed the youngsters ahead of the seniors and now he can't complain that the roles have reversed). As far as Laxman is concerned, he did not play even in the 2003 world cup and has always been selected only intermittently for ODI sides.

The only thing that the present WI-India one day series has exhibited is how important Tendulkar still is to the balance of the team - he can contribute effectively in all 3 positions, gives the team great flexibility in batting and always plays with passion and pride, which has an enabling effect on the rest of the players.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
surendar said:
The WC squad for India should be likely,

1)Sachin
2)Sehwag
3)Dravid
4)Yuvi
5)Kaif
6)Raina
7)Dhoni
8)I.Pathan
9)H.Singh or Powar or Kumble
10)Fast Bowler
11)Fast Bowler

very good Squad, how about Raina at 7 and Dhoni at 6.

yashved

School Cricketer
Even if Ganguly is not brought back as skipper, atleast he should be in the side as a player. His expert advice and guidance could be match winning especially under close match situations as was the case with most of the matches in Ind-WI ODIs. Dravid for me is too passive for a captain..... :)

blackleopard92

Panel of Selectors
and I say ritwik is damm right.

U can't go by records, u have to see the future.Ganguly, kumble may have good records, but they are nearing retirement.Not to mention ganguly was failing for over 4 yrs.

And kumble himdelf knows that he is not up to ODI crickets.Hence he retired from it.

as for presence of tendulkar, I think he lends a mental stability to Indian team

Users who are viewing this thread