India's team for the World Cup 2007

Do you think the current Indian side is fit for the World Cup?

• Yes, the team is perfectly balanced and ready for WC

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • No, we want players like Saurav, Laxman, Kumble,etc. back

Votes: 17 70.8%
  • Can't say

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Online Cricket Games Owned
Ganguly can bowl, bat and used to field in the slips - a position where he did very well before becoming skipper. He has experience to, and can fire up the squad as well as anyone.
Even if you don't want Ganguly, fine, but for the sake of Indian cricket, please don't let Dravid be skipper. Kaif is the answer.

blackleopard92

Panel of Selectors
U are jokin!!!

kaif as skipper, u are mad.
He has just come into international cricket.he hardly has any experience, infact i would rather have yuvraj as captain than kaif.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I would not choose Ganguly for the ODI side. If any side, I would pick him for the test side. Ganguly's application and temperament in ODI's is very questionable, when it comes to his own performance. He frequently destroys the momentum while batting, and he is a definite liability in the field.

Giving Kaif the captaincy at this stage would be a shrewd and possibly negative move. It would not only put mindgames into the head of Dravid, who has been told he has been selected till the World Cup, but it would also put added pressure on Kaif, who has only recently figured out how to use the bat to score runs.

So, I would disagree with you on both counts. Captains are not supposed to make the impossible possible. If our batting had been performing as it should have, we would have won this series. If you point out bad batting order as the reason--the same ploys worked earlier, so why would one be led to believe that they wouldn't again?

blackleopard92

Panel of Selectors
sohummisra said:
Captains are not supposed to make the impossible possible.

absolutely.If only people understand that.

sohummisra said:
If our batting had been performing as it should have, we would have won this series. If you point out bad batting order as the reason--the same ploys worked earlier, so why would one be led to believe that they wouldn't again?

That's true too.

Batting order is a gamble.we win some , we lose some.

In fact, cricket is a gamble too.

And I think we are going off topic.We should discuss WI tour in its own forum

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I would want Ganguly in the ODI team because he is more of an ODI player than a test player. He has had the most success in the one day format of the game. Laxman is not needed for the one dayers. Kumble and Ganguly should be brought back. May be captaincy need not be switched now, but if the team repeatedly fails under Draviv, they need to think abt it sooner or later.

This would be my ideal ODI squad (of 15) with all players fit and available

Sachin Tendulkar
Virender Sehwag
Saurav Ganguly/Suresh Raina
Yuvraj Singh
Rahul Dravid (captain)
Mohammed Kaif
Mahendra Singh Dhoni
Irfan Pathan
Harbhajan Singh
Ajit Agarkar
Zaheer Khan
Anil Kumble
S Sreesanth

Whenever Sachin is not available, Ganguly needs to be in the team to balance out the loss of an experienced hand for the younger players!

gaurav_indian

International Coach
I remember I started a thread on India Tour of WI 2 months ago and it was closed by mods by saying that it's ages away.And there are still 10 months remaining before the next world cup.May be this thread will be better if its 2 months before World Cup bcoz anything can happen in the next few months.

Ritwik

co-founder
saisrini80 said:
Whenever Sachin is not available, Ganguly needs to be in the team to balance out the loss of an experienced hand for the younger players!
Yes, Ganguly or Laxman could be used in one dayers when Tendulkar is not available to lend more experience to the team. That would be a more sensible approach than bringing Ganguly in at the expense of a younger player.

I strongly believe that Dravid should be persisted with as skipper for at least the next couple of years given his skills, temperament and experience (and anyway, his performance as skipper will always be better when Tendulkar is around to assist him, which was also the case with Ganguly). But, Kaif should be in the running two or three years hence, given that he has a very good captaincy record (India won the under-19 world cup under him) and can catch the opposition unawares by doing unorthodox things.

nightprowler10

Executive member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
gaurav_indian said:
I remember I started a thread on India Tour of WI 2 months ago and it was closed by mods by saying that it's ages away.And there are still 10 months remaining before the next world cup.May be this thread will be better if its 2 months before World Cup bcoz anything can happen in the next few months.
This thread is a bit different than the one you are talking about. First of all, it concerns the mother of all tournaments. Second, its not a thread about who will win the World Cup or something like that, its a thread with solid discussions about who shall represent India in the WC. And the timing is perfect since India just lost an ODI series where the WC will be played, which obviously raises some concerns for the fans. I don't see anything wrong with this thread. Then again, I'm not a moderator. :p

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Ganguly has definitely had his successes at an ODI level, but I believe he has matured into a test player. In his last few innings in ODI cricket where he made a mentionable score, his innings was more of a sheet anchor, was slow, and kept the innings steady. The only problem was that India had gotten off to a flyer in most of those cases.

I wouldn't mind having Ganguly back in the team when Tendulkar is not available. But reinstating him as captain would be something I would be against. I personally believe that Ganguly is now better-suited for test cricket, where he can take time to play himself in.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Yes but any future leads up to a World Cup. Building up during a World Cup is stupid.

Id like Ganguly back because he will be humble instead of conceited as when he left

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Also, at the comment about this thread and its applicability, this is basically the home-stretch for the World Cup. This is when all the countries will begin finalizing their squads, drawing up a list of players who they are thinking of taking. In fact, it would be very unlikely that random, new players would be tried out by India in the coming ODI series, just because they'd want to get some experience and confidence into their current unit.

blackleopard92

Panel of Selectors
I don't know why u people run after ganguly.He has been sorted out by every team in the world.
In fact Sehwag has also been sorted out, however, he is still delivering.Hence, playing.

BigCrickNan

Chairman of Selectors
One thing i don't understand about Ganguly is that he did well on a tough pitch in Karachi a few months ago and still got dropped!

Ritwik

co-founder
As I've said above, the way Ganguly was shown the door was bad - he could've been treated with more respect as a succesful past skipper. But bringing him back as captain will serve no purpose at all, and take the team back by 7-8 months in which it has been rebuilding under Dravid and Chappel.

Indian fans need to give the team some more time, most of these players are very young and such contradictory behavior - they're feted after one victory and lambasted after a loss, can only be bad for their maturing process. We just need to face the fact that Ganguly's time is at the fag end of his career, some ganguly-worshippers here would do well to properly study his record since 2001, and it would become clear that most of his noteworthy scores have been against weaker teams in easy conditions, with the exception of course of the century in adelaide in Australia which was a class act.

Zoraxdoom said:
Ganguly can bowl, bat and used to field in the slips - a position where he did very well before becoming skipper. He has experience to, and can fire up the squad as well as anyone.

I've some bad memories of Ganguly in the slips, including one time at Sharjah when he dropped 3 catches in one over (2 of them on simultenous deliveries). Dunno when he was a good fielder, in the slips or otherwise. The less said about his bowling over the past 3 years, the better for the man and his dignity.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Ritwik said:
I've some bad memories of Ganguly in the slips, including one time at Sharjah when he dropped 3 catches in one over (2 of them on simultenous deliveries). Dunno when he was a good fielder, in the slips or otherwise. The less said about his bowling over the past 3 years, the better for the man and his dignity.
I have seen him field in the slips, and he was pretty good. But that was when he was new and before he was skipper.
And his bowling is more than useful. He has been working more on it. It is better than Sehwag's to say the least...

Users who are viewing this thread