India's team for the World Cup 2007

Do you think the current Indian side is fit for the World Cup?

• Yes, the team is perfectly balanced and ready for WC

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • No, we want players like Saurav, Laxman, Kumble,etc. back

Votes: 17 70.8%
  • Can't say

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters

jkartik

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
well..i think we really need some experience in the Indian Squad.
the current squad can do good in home conditions but they struggle
in foreign pitches as seen in the WI tour.

although i wont totally blame the indian squad for the defeat !
they played in home pitches / sub-continent for like 6 months continously and they
got so used to it that they are failing to a team like WI in foreign conditions :eek: :eek:

the bowling dept. really lacks experience. the only current bowler
who is experienced is agarkar but he cannot be trusted too much.
he has been in and out of the side for years now ! :(

i woudnt panic too much abt the WC squad right away. we still have like 10 months and lot of things can change. you never know ! ;)

Ritwik

co-founder
ZoraxDoom said:
I have seen him field in the slips, and he was pretty good. But that was when he was new and before he was skipper.
And his bowling is more than useful. He has been working more on it. It is better than Sehwag's to say the least...
He didn't really get much oppurtunity to field in the slips when he was new IIRC. There was Azhar at that time, who was a brilliant slip fielder by all accounts, apart from the reliable Dravid You may have seen him field in a few matches, but he was not a regular slip fielder, ever. In fact I remember now that Ganguly got this brainwave that fielding in the slips would allow him to keep a better eye on his bowlers' line and lenght once he became captain, but he had to quit the idea following his very poor performance fielding there.

Sehwag is not bad for a part time bowler, which is evidenced from the fact that during the last years of his reign as skipper, Ganguly used to bowl sehwag much more than himself.

The sad truth remains that Ganguly has been working on his bowling and fielding only since he was removed as skipper and he began (correctly) fearing his place in the team. He should've done that when he was the captain, and such a situation would not have arisen.

On top of all that, its not that Ganguly has been dropped inspite of brilliant performances. Experts and commentators ranging from Gavaskar to Boycott to Shastri often acknowledged during his reign as skipper that if weren't skipper, he could not command a place in the Indian test side solely on account of his batting.

Unfortunately, the only factor on which Ganguly can hope to make a return is his experience, which can be useful when Tendulkar is not around, as I've stated above.

slade

Club Cricketer
Ganguly shouldnt even be let near the team hotel let alone the team and the captaincy. He was a great player but he declined so badly and tried to drag down indian cricket with him.

Although theres a quetsion mark about Kumbles fitness and fielding, he maybe an option. THe two west indian spinners, Gayle and Samuels are tall and bowl flat through the air. Powar tries to flight the ball and good batsman (Lara, Sarwan) simply got to the pitch and hit him out of the ground. When he tried to bowl quickly, since he isnt very tall, he started dragging the ball into the ground and bowling short, which no spinner can afford to do. Kumble who is tall and bowls quickly and doesnt really rely on turn could be a very good option.

For Laxman, I dont really see who he could replace. India needed to bat much better in the last ten overs. I think they did a decent job building a platform, but it might not be such a good statergy in WI. The batman should take more calculated risks during the middle overs and settle for a run a ball during the slog. Hopefully tendulkar can come back and improve the batting.

My team:

Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Yuraj
Kaif
Dhoni
Pathan
Agarkar
Harbajan
Kumble
Sreesanth

I feel india should play five bowlers and make sure the batsman get the runs.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
I would never open with Dravid.

Sehwag
Sachin
Dravid
Yuvi
Kaif
Ganguly/Powar
Dhoni
Pathan
Agarkar
Harbhajan
Sreesanth

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Dravid did get a string of 50's and 100's while opening, in the recent series' that India played. He's not the ideal opening batsman, but he has got success in the recent past. If you take the West Indies series as anything to go by, the only batsmen that should be in our team from the current crop are Yuvraj, Kaif and Sehwag.

True Geek

School Cricketer
It wont be easy for ganguly to make a comeback, Especially when this craps are running the BCCI. Greg Chappel is the worst coach india has ever. He is a big ganguly hater. So is rahul Dravid and Sehwag. You know what-------------------------------

BCCI SUCKS BIG TIME

blackleopard92

Panel of Selectors
True Geek said:
It wont be easy for ganguly to make a comeback, Especially when this craps are running the BCCI. Greg Chappel is the worst coach india has ever. He is a big ganguly hater. So is rahul Dravid and Sehwag. You know what-------------------------------

BCCI SUCKS BIG TIME

I suppose u understand that there are many members here that support all the various changes that took in BCCI.
Many toning down the post will help.
:)

Indiangod

International Coach
My India 11 for the world cup 2007 would be a team with expierence, a strong top-middle order, plenty of bowling resources, a good feilding side, and a good fit side.

Sehwag
Tendulkar
Ganguly
Dravid
Y singh
Kaif
Dhoni
Agarkar
Kumble
Zaheer
Sreesanth

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Sreesanth should bat above Zaheer and Kumble. He is a lot better than people think.
But where are:
Raina
Harbhajan
Pathan
???

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Indiangod said:
My India 11 for the world cup 2007 would be a team with expierence, a strong top-middle order, plenty of bowling resources, a good feilding side, and a good fit side.

Sehwag
Tendulkar
Ganguly
Dravid
Y singh
Kaif
Dhoni
Agarkar
Kumble
Zaheer
Sreesanth

i shd say u are a very Good optimist!!!! Keep it up mate!!!

Its a tough job for Zaheer and Kumble to enter current ODI team!!!!
Also same thing with Ganguly!!!
All these three are waiting in a long queue!!! they need something special to prove themselves more than the existing players!!!
So its a tough job for them to enter the team....Almost MissionImpossible ;) ;) ;)

Indiangod

International Coach
ZoraxDoom said:
Sreesanth should bat above Zaheer and Kumble. He is a lot better than people think.
But where are:
Raina
Harbhajan
Pathan
???

Pathan to me is inconsistant with the ball, he is often too expensive when we need good tight bowling.

Kumble is a good attacking bowler, who is consistant with the ball, he bowls tight spells, and can get wickets at crucial stages. Kumble is quite hard to hit for runs, he can play on the batsmens mind, he has a lot of variations in is armour, he mixes the balls up, we could use his expierence, and is better then Bhajji.

Raina is a good find for India, a very talanted batsmen and a very good feilder, but I would like to have Ganguly back into the team, opening the batting, or come in at number 3, we could use his expierence, if Gangs cant get back has captain, then make him vice-captain, he is better then Raina, Ganguly has improved on his running between the wickets and feilding, he can give more to the team with his medium pace bowling.

Ritwik

co-founder
Indiangod said:

Sehwag
Tendulkar
Ganguly
Dravid
Y singh
Kaif
Dhoni
Agarkar
Kumble
Zaheer
Sreesanth
Mate we're talking of the 2007 World Cup and not the competition held in 2003. We're in 2006, remember ?

Indiangod

International Coach
Ritwik said:
Mate we're talking of the 2007 World Cup and not the competition held in 2003. We're in 2006, remember ?

Mate I know that, thats the starting 11 I would have in my opinion for the world cup 2007.

nightprowler10

Executive member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Indiangod said:
Mate I know that, thats the starting 11 I would have in my opinion for the world cup 2007.
You would have Ganguly in the WC? Would you like him to be the captain as well?

Users who are viewing this thread