Pontings captaincy

Why are you talking about Dhoni all of a sudden? McGrath was injured for a lot of 2005

One player does not decides the destination. The facts Yudi gave were absolute rubbish.

He just needs to learn how to rotate his bowlers effectively. Its a real mess up the way he does it.

Sorry Matt, still doesn't convince me.

His knock the other day was brilliant - but it wasn't under pressure. The situation he and Haddin were batting in was perfect, it was like a batting net. No one expected Australia to win, so they could go out their with a license to bat naturally and play their shots.

The only bit of pressure that was ever on the pair was first session of today's play, and that didn't last long.

He's a brilliant player, but I'm still waiting on the day when he does something that saves Australia. He's capable of it.

I was praying he got a double ton after I posted that. :p

It was pressure mate, our pride was on the line. Your telling me, when your trailing by 400, you would be happy to go out and hit 20 off 7 then get out as your team gets bundled and loses by 350? He went out there and took charge, kept a steady head and choose the shots to play. When he left those really wide half volleys he used to get out on you could see he meant business and he is a new player. Days gone by he would of got out for 25 in that situation.

He's a great cricket brain, his fields and bowling options are good in twenty20 matches and you can see he is in constant discussion with Ricky Ponting on field anyway, so he would be having some input in decisions.

Not to mention his over rate.

The over rate isn't entirely his fault. It's up to the bowlers to get back to their mark quickly, but it is also up to him to enforce it.

I was praying he got a double ton after I posted that. :p

It was pressure mate, our pride was on the line. Your telling me, when your trailing by 400, you would be happy to go out and hit 20 off 7 then get out as your team gets bundled and loses by 350? He went out there and took charge, kept a steady head and choose the shots to play. When he left those really wide half volleys he used to get out on you could see he meant business and he is a new player. Days gone by he would of got out for 25 in that situation.

He's a great cricket brain, his fields and bowling options are good in twenty20 matches and you can see he is in constant discussion with Ricky Ponting on field anyway, so he would be having some input in decisions.

I agree with this, despite your Clarke bias. Although half the time he's probably just asking for the ball. :P

I do lay blame on him for the overrates. He seems to have meetings every over which really should have been done before the days play. But so far they haven't been as bad or the commentators haven't been harping on about it every hour.

I do lay blame on him for the overrates. He seems to have meetings every over which really should have been done before the days play. But so far they haven't been as bad or the commentators haven't been harping on about it every hour.
Agreed. It's very over discussed, whether it's the English commentators, Jeff Thomson or Peter Roebuck, there's always someone calling for Ponting's head.

I'm of the view that he should step down as limited overs captain, and that Hussey should take over. Both Ponting and Clarke have been close to useless in the shorter forms of the game for quite some time now, and Hussey seems the best alternative as he may be able to captain the team while scoring runs at the same time. Clarke looks ready to take over the test captaincy, and I wouldn't be objecting to Ponting giving it up at the end of the this Ashes series. That said, the constant speculation probably makes him want to keep going, purely to spite his critics.

Users who are viewing this thread