Possible knockout clashes?

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I've been doing some crystal ball gazing with the help of my world cup wallchart and an over-active imagination and here are a few random thoughts:

England must beat Sweden in order to avoid a quarter-final against Argentina. If we do win the group the chances are that our QF opponents will be between Portugal or Holland (what a cracking second round match that will be).
The lower quarter of the draw (winner E, RU F, winner G, RU H) seems to be much the weakest (on current form). Chances are that one of Italy, Croatia or France will make it to the semi (probably against Argentina).
It's in Spain's interest therefore not to win their group which will send them into Brazil's quarter but instead to be runners-up and be in the weak quarter above. As they've already tonked their nearest rivals in the group this is pretty unlikely.
Holland are probably the team to feel most sorry for. They're next 4 matches could easily be Argentina, Portugal, England, Brazil (then Argentina again!).
Anyhow I'm going to stick my neck out and make some calls.

QF's will be: (bit boring I realise)
Germany v Argentina
Italy v France
England v Holland
Brazil v Spain

SF's will be: (no longer boring!)
Argentina v Italy
Holland v Spain

Final
Argentina v Spain

I know that Italy are looking wretched but I can't see who's going to beat them in their part of the draw. As for Brazil, I think that Spain are one of the few teams with the ability to beat them. Spain are the perennial WC under-achievers and I think it's time they stepped up to the plate.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
usy said:
Spain? waky waky,

You're going to have to translate that for me...
Spain have the most successful and most skillful domestic league in Europe and a national team stuffed full of talented guys who seem to choke as soon as they're not wearing club colours. They have the might of Tunisia and Saudi Arabia to overcome to win the group and then a probable second round match with Switzerland or South Korea. I think Spain are not to be under-estimated.
Having said that they probably won't even qualify from their group now! :p

BigCrickNan

Chairman of Selectors
Interesting predictions there Colin. I agree Liverpool might go far, before they realise they're playing for spain.

EDIT: Sorry for that, my friend though it would be good to add in.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I think it would be better to predict the second round matches before this.

Last edited:

edgarisapimp

Club Cricketer
Spain v. Brazil will most likely occur, but won't turn out like everyone (or at least the media) think it will. Brazil is not the same as in 2002, and Spain will attack their weak defense. Spain is going to surprise a lot of people, this time in a good way :D!

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
barmyarmy said:
I've been doing some crystal ball gazing with the help of my world cup wallchart and an over-active imagination and here are a few random thoughts:

England must beat Sweden in order to avoid a quarter-final against Argentina. If we do win the group the chances are that our QF opponents will be between Portugal or Holland (what a cracking second round match that will be).
The lower quarter of the draw (winner E, RU F, winner G, RU H) seems to be much the weakest (on current form). Chances are that one of Italy, Croatia or France will make it to the semi (probably against Argentina).
It's in Spain's interest therefore not to win their group which will send them into Brazil's quarter but instead to be runners-up and be in the weak quarter above. As they've already tonked their nearest rivals in the group this is pretty unlikely.
Holland are probably the team to feel most sorry for. They're next 4 matches could easily be Argentina, Portugal, England, Brazil (then Argentina again!).
Anyhow I'm going to stick my neck out and make some calls.

QF's will be: (bit boring I realise)
Germany v Argentina
Italy v France
England v Holland
Brazil v Spain

SF's will be: (no longer boring!)
Argentina v Italy
Holland v Spain

Final
Argentina v Spain

I know that Italy are looking wretched but I can't see who's going to beat them in their part of the draw. As for Brazil, I think that Spain are one of the few teams with the ability to beat them. Spain are the perennial WC under-achievers and I think it's time they stepped up to the plate.
I love you for that mate!

Sureshot

Executive member
barmyarmy said:
Spain have the most successful and most skillful domestic league in Europe and a national team stuffed full of talented guys who seem to choke as soon as they're not wearing club colours.

Their league has alot of South American influence.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
barmyarmy said:
Spain have the most successful and most skillful domestic league in Europe and a national team stuffed full of talented guys who seem to choke as soon as they're not wearing club colours. They have the might of Tunisia and Saudi Arabia to overcome to win the group and then a probable second round match with Switzerland or South Korea. I think Spain are not to be under-estimated.
Having said that they probably won't even qualify from their group now! :p
Waky waky = Wake up!

:eek: I don't see Spain going through the Second Rounds mate, I bet you, I won't make any signatures for 2 weeks if Spain go to the Finals, The Bet is ON! :p

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
usy said:
Waky waky = Wake up!

:eek: I don't see Spain going through the Second Rounds mate, I bet you, I won't make any signatures for 2 weeks if Spain go to the Finals, The Bet is ON! :p

You can't see Spain beating South Korea or Switzerland? :confused:

@ Sureshot - I know they're league has massive south american influence but I see that as an advantage not a disadvantage for them.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
yes, but you're taking them too far, to Finals.

They can't beat Brazil, if Spain do go to Finals, that will be one of most boring World Cup finals ever, although they have some great players.

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
usy said:
yes, but you're taking them too far, to Finals.

They can't beat Brazil, if Spain do go to Finals, that will be one of most boring World Cup finals ever, although they have some great players.
That's bollocks! Spain has some of the most attack minded and entertaining players in the World. Only Brazil (and I mean only Brazil) can beat them in this regard.

Also if you did see them play against Ukraine, I am certain you wouldnt want your team to be facing them anytime soon.

Sureshot

Executive member
barmyarmy said:
You can't see Spain beating South Korea or Switzerland? :confused:

@ Sureshot - I know they're league has massive south american influence but I see that as an advantage not a disadvantage for them.

Oh I absolutely agree with you, don't get me wrong on that.

But it's not the Spanish players that have as much as an influence on their leagues as English players do in the Premiership.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
m_vaughan said:
That's bollocks! Spain has some of the most attack minded and entertaining players in the World. Only Brazil (and I mean only Brazil) can beat them in this regard.

Also if you did see them play against Ukraine, I am certain you wouldnt want your team to be facing them anytime soon.
I know their Players are really 'entertaining', but you tell me they go to finals, that's the boring part.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Maybe it's better to wait when all second round matches are determined, to make predictions. Czech Republic were praised in heaven after the first match, but after their second match some don't even see them getting through. And Spain so far had played one great match. But I can't see them losing against Tunisia and Saudi-Arabia.

And they might even encounter France in the second round.

Users who are viewing this thread