Potential future stars from the U-19 World Cup

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I think we have seen quite a bit of the players turning out for our respective nations in the current U-19 WC. Which all players do you think will go on to make it big in the real world ? How many can be counted upon to be potential future captains of Test stars for your country ?

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I think Australia's hoping that Kurt Patterson goes onto become a top class batsman. He's only played 1 game for NSW, but he made 157 on debut. Most of the team haven't played for their state yet, so I think it's going to be a while before any of them hit the international scene.

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
Kevin Kasuza from Zimbabwe looks to me as an exciting prospect. He has not done much in the ongoing world cup but is definitely the man to look out for. He has been very consistent in domestic cricket so he might get a chance to wear the Zimbabwean colors.

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
I saw Lake's century in a losing cause against India. That innings was a quality knock. That guy looked super solid. I would love to see him play for Zimbabwe.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Whoever managed to win that PNG vs AFG game is probably going to get drafted straight into the World T20 squad.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Kamal Passi is an exciting prospect for India. We need that kind of an allrounder who can contribute significantly with both bat and all. Of course, Unmukt Chand has been earmarked in recent times for India glory in the upcoming years. Harmeet Singh bowled well in that first match vs WI and his first class record (although only 3 matches) looks pretty good at already 17 wickets.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Yeah, Harmeet Singh, looked very good in the match against West Indies, will try to follow his Domestic whereabouts.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Probably only Quinton De Cock from South Africa.

But really unlike the football youth world cup, in all my years of following under-19 world cups its never been much of good guide as picking out potential stars or judging teams future's.

Last edited:

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I'm more curious about the likes of Chris Kent. These days a lot of associate players can expect opportunities in first class cricket, but it varies by region. Can a PNG player hope to maybe work his way up in Brisbane club cricket, or is he not much better off for performing in an u19 tournament?

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
I missed a lot of what happened earlier on in the tourney but managed to catch a few highlights here and there. The one player who really stand out for me is Unmukt Chand. He looks a terrific batsman who can play on both the front and back, with a beautiful ,flashing cover drive.

Azizullah from Pakistan also looks a good bowler with decent pace, still needs a lot of work but from what I saw his attitude and talent were apparent. Bosisto also impressed in the final for Australia.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
I was very impressed by the way Bossisto played yesterday in final. Even though wickets were falling on one side he still took singles and doubles and steadied the whole innings.

For India, of course Chand, Harmeet Singh and Baba Aparjith.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer

I've always found what Ian writes and says to be at times...how can I put this without making people mad (he is a legend)....stupid. None of these players are ready for international cricket. They first need to strengthen themselves physically and put in some hard yards in the first class game. I know India and Pakistan, especially Pakistan, love throwing a teenager out there but more often than not they fail at the highest level. I know this article is about 2 Indian players but I think the exact same applies here. Don't put too much pressure on the kid, let him play his natural game, help him when he needs it and possibly in 2 years, if he continues to improve, pick him in the international set up.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I've always found what Ian writes and says to be at times...how can I put this without making people mad (he is a legend)....stupid. None of these players are ready for international cricket. They first need to strengthen themselves physically and put in some hard yards in the first class game. I know India and Pakistan, especially Pakistan, love throwing a teenager out there but more often than not they fail at the highest level. I know this article is about 2 Indian players but I think the exact same applies here. Don't put too much pressure on the kid, let him play his natural game, help him when he needs it and possibly in 2 years, if he continues to improve, pick him in the international set up.

Yea no doubt Chappell is a man of great knowledge and understanding of the game, but that statement was a bit knee jerk to be fair.

As i mentioned earlier in the thread, Under-19 world cups are historically a poor guide to how players will go at the international level in the future. The gap in quality is too big and thats always been the case, since i've been following under-19 cups since 2002.

Most i'd say from this tournament is that it was good to see the youngsters being tested on townsville wicket that tested the techniques of the batsmen at an early age. Would have hated it the tournament was played on flat pitches and 300 scores was the norm.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner

I agree with you here. Its too early to throw Harmeet and Unmukt into the international arena. Harmeet has played 3 first class games, and Unmukt has played 11-12 games in both first class and List A cricket. These guys need to find their feet in domestic cricket and perform well for their domestic sides consistently, and they will surely hit the selector's eyes.

Also another thing is, the bench for the Indian international team is overcrowded and already gasping for space. You have the likes of Rahane, Uthappa, Rayudu, Mandeep, etc beating the India ODI and T20 doors, and then you have Yuvraj coming back, Rohit Sharma still fighting for his spot, etc. Where will Chand play? He will be warming benches.

----------

As i mentioned earlier in the thread, Under-19 world cups are historically a poor guide to how players will go at the international level in the future. The gap in quality is too big and thats always been the case, since i've been following under-19 cups since 2002.

Most i'd say from this tournament is that it was good to see the youngsters being tested on townsville wicket that tested the techniques of the batsmen at an early age. Would have hated it the tournament was played on flat pitches and 300 scores was the norm.

For India though, the U-19 WC has unearthed quite a few stars for us, namely Yuvraj, Kaif, Harbhajan, Kohli, etc. Hope Chand also enters that category.

Users who are viewing this thread