Premeditation Solutions

Local multiplayer.

For the future iterations maybe a vertically "split screen" option would be great to have so both the offline users (batsman and bowler) can choose their own preferred camera without forcing the other player to use the camera he/she is not comfortable with. Take my example for instance... I'm so used to bating with the "far behind the batsman" camera that there's no way I can bat in the broadcast cam if I've to play offline multiplayer. Thankfully i didn't need to but for me the offline multiplayer mode would be sort of broken given that I can't use the game as it was designed. The vertically split screen option would address this concern.

it would be great if Ross can shed some light regarding his balancing views and premeditation solution so that we can further give him feedback for fine tuning before the game releases

All.observarions on Pro cam.

Each time u premeditate a shot and it goes wrong, the games reminds u to just watch the ball ,play late, play the ball under your nose
And then by doing all this , all seems OK.

Its just pure simple criket. Watch the ball.

Dbc17 nets @ legend level seems to b easier and more accurate while batting. I can play the shot late and get good results.

Its just pure simple criket. Watch the ball.

This is the easy part.

Converting what you see into the right shot, taking into account ball trajectory, speed, swing/spin, and field placements....THEN translating that to the left thumb, right thumb, left finger, right finger....or a combination of the lot all within the time frame required to hit the ball sweetly is where it slows down. Watching the ball isn't the issue...being able to play the right shot in the time allowed from ball release is. I'm not trying to be facetious - I've played quite a few hours with DB14 and I still struggle to get the right shot away. I think its a hand/eye/brain coordination thing.

eg. how many of you actually have enough time to play the following shots to a fast bowler:

1. back foot pull shot
2. back foot up 'n under to third man

Maybe its just me but i struggle to identify the ball quickly enough then get my brain to order my hands/fingers to press the correct combination. Its just too quick. And no 'practice' isn't just the answer because I practiced.

I've noticed that my brain can think better when I have the correct foot selected so that I'm only trying to do two combo's eg. RS = shot + LT = six hit, etc. I think its just too fast. Remember, IRL we don't think like this - we move our feet/hands/etc automatically...but in DB, we HAVE to think of this.

playing from day 1 of Dbc 14 academy realease,Back in I think dec13.

Finally settled on pro cam with 0 hud elements from last 1 year.
What ive noticed it majority of online players do play on broadcast cam which obviously not allow an authentic experience of watching the ball on bat, and thus the premeditated shots comes into play.

Lost all my online games due to playing on pro cam with 0 hud elements.

In the end it's the choice one has to make, between pure cricket pleasure or an
arcade (but fun also) gameplay experience.

eg. how many of you actually have enough time to play the following shots to a fast bowler:

1. back foot pull shot
2. back foot up 'n under to third man

I can chip in here and honestly say this . Ive played this game exclusively in the Online Arena against the best the PS3 can offer since day 1 for at least 3 Pro20`s a week .

BUT , there is just no way that I have enough time to rock back on the Backfoot to nail a Back Foot Pull Shot . With the Fast mediums , maybe , and easy for spin and medium.

I end up pulling of the front foot , or just hitting square leg/square drive constantly against any ball bowled , as they are the most "safe" and overpowered shots in the game.

It most surely needs a slight tweak in terms of their omnipresent power , vs nailing a straight/cover drive for example.

For the future iterations maybe a vertically "split screen" option would be great to have so both the offline users (batsman and bowler) can choose their own preferred camera without forcing the other player to use the camera he/she is not comfortable with. Take my example for instance... I'm so used to bating with the "far behind the batsman" camera that there's no way I can bat in the broadcast cam if I've to play offline multiplayer. Thankfully i didn't need to but for me the offline multiplayer mode would be sort of broken given that I can't use the game as it was designed. The vertically split screen option would address this concern.

Unfortunately it's too big a hit on frame rate as you're essentially rendering the scene twice.

We know Ross is very much inspired by MLB games behind batter view but the thing is it worked for MLB because user only has one thing to concentrate i-e direction of the ball but in DBC one has to pick length as well as direction which is where the problem lies because most human minds are not capable of parallel processing but if BAS is really insisted in using this system then kindly allow Auto Foot Selection option for all difficulty levels that way it will be very similar to MLB because user will only have to worry for the direction and it will be as fun as MLB games , Also kindly use the realistic bowling speed because the thrill of facing real fast bowler in pro mode is missing in this game :( Also i don't think any one will complain about fast bowling speed with the auto foot selection option there helping them)
Just give it a whack mate in the next update and see peoples opinion on it.

We know Ross is very much inspired by MLB games behind batter view but the thing is it worked for MLB because user only has one thing to concentrate i-e direction of the ball but in DBC one has to pick length as well as direction which is where the problem lies because most human minds are not capable of parallel processing but if BAS is really insisted in using this system then kindly allow Auto Foot Selection option for all difficulty levels that way it will be very similar to MLB because user will only have to worry for the direction and it will be as fun as MLB games , Also kindly use the realistic bowling speed because the thrill of facing real fast bowler in pro mode is missing in this game :( Also i don't think any one will complain about fast bowling speed with the auto foot selection option there helping them)

pathetic.

Imo i think its a good point about mlb having a much simpler decision making process then dbc, because the 'footwork' is non-existant in mlb, also you have to remember that the ball doesn't lose speed through the air like dbc because its doesnt have to bounce, and that game still feels really satisfying to play... even though its a much simpler decision making process

Good point about MLB, i.e., in baseball it's mostly about judging the line and not the length. As for making auto-selection for footwork, that will take out a huge part out of batting. The fundamental part of batting is to judge line & length and if that part is made automatic, it will take away from batting as it will be no different from batting with pre-meditation. Currently we pre-meditate while batting but using auto selection AI would be the one performing that pre-meditation role.

Last edited:
Good point about MLB, i.e., in baseball it's mostly about judging the line and not the length. As for making auto-selection for footwork, that will take out a huge part out of batting. The fundamental part of batting is to judge line & length and if that part is made automatic, it will take away from batting as it will be no different from batting with pre-meditation. Currently we pre-meditate while batting but using auto selection, AI would be the one performing that pre-meditation role.

What can I say BAS is obsessed with the current marker system so I am trying to find solution under this system.

What can I say BAS is obsessed with the current marker system so I am trying to find solution under this system.

Ross has already mentioned DBC 17 is different so let's wait and watch. But in case DBC 17 has a similar concern then Big Ant will need to think of a better solution rather than dumbing down batting by taking footwork out of the equation. But we will cross the bridge when we get there.

Users who are viewing this thread