Problems with Xbox controllers spinning the ball

@OP, I had similar problems spinning the ball with the PS3 controller. For a week I tried perfecting the rotation thinking that somehow I was getting the rotation wrong. Then I borrowed another PS3 controller from a friend and found out that the stick wasn't registering the rotations properly and as a result that sort of thing was happening. So I got myself a new controller and everything's fine now.
It seems strange that you are having problems with two controllers. You might want to borrow a controller from a friend and try it out just to be sure that it's not the controller's fault.

Interesting, they are both the same type of controller, Xbox imitation types, not the real deal. However it is strange that they used to work fine.

I'll try a different controller I guess

Cool man didn't know that because I've never bowled a spinner in career as I am a medium pace all rounder in my career. That was just from what I knew as I found spinning the ball easy with a good rated player in casual play. It's definitely not the xbox controllers.

Well give the guy some tips then as I take it ur a spinner in ur career.[/QUOTE

Medium pace allrounder? the deliveries get very slow after few overs. Isn't it irritating to bowl continuous slow deliveries and ball not carrying to the keeper? :facepalm

I'm a medium/fast bowler. And No I love bowling. My fastest delivery with my career player is 144kmp full speed and his avg speed is around 137kmp. My deliveries carry perfectly to the keeper. It depends on what pitch u bowl cause sometimes my deliveries won't carry cause it's a slow pitch.

Spin

I have been reliably informed that if you hold the right stick either left or right the ball will drift in that direction when bowling spin,tried it and it didnt work for me.:lol

Drift is all physics; bowlers can't "choose" drift in the same way that swing bowlers can choose swing. A drifting leg-break is always going to drift into the batsman before spinning away: anything else would be physically impossible.

You need to be smooth with rotations, I think some people are trying to rotate too fast because they think it will create more turn.

I'm a medium/fast bowler. And No I love bowling. My fastest delivery with my career player is 144kmp full speed and his avg speed is around 137kmp. My deliveries carry perfectly to the keeper. It depends on what pitch u bowl cause sometimes my deliveries won't carry cause it's a slow pitch.

This is precisely why it would be great if you could move the wicket keeper and slips closer to the wicket.
I've been watching the Lords test against Sri Lanka. The pitch has become so 'low and slow' that the keeper and slip cordon have moved up much closer to the stumps. We need to be able to do this otherwise, if there are more edges after patch 2, they won't carry.

Im sorry, but Im having the exact same issue, the spin meter keeps resetting to zero, after each rotation in leg spin... I too have tried with 2 controllers so far, 1 chinese and 1 original xbox 360 controller... Plz let me know how this issue can be resolved...

Apologies if this has been asked before

I have two Xbox controllers and both are having trouble when spinning the ball (rotating the left stick).

As I rotate the stick, the spin increases slowly, but then it stutters and returns to zero spin. I am turning it slowly and it has worked before.

This means I can't get any decent spin as it keeps stuttering.

Has anyone experienced this? Is there any other way I can spin the ball?

I've actually seen this problem playing someone (not on my computer). Those weren't official Xbox controllers to my knowledge though.

How is the computer? How well does it run the game? Is it stuttering at all in game?

Are they official Xbox controllers. If you don't mind are you able to post a picture of them?

Idk about the guy who started the thread, but for me this is the one and only issue in the game... Everything else works perfectly fine...
The controller was original, ive returned it now... So cant post a pic
@OP Did u buy a new controller??? If yes, then did that fix the issue.... Heeeeeelllllpppp

Last edited:
Ok so I bought another xbox 360 controller for windows... Same issue... Seriously stuck... What should I do... I have checked the callibration aswell, its fine... The spin meter just keeps going to 0 on each rotation :(
And 1 thing I've noticed is that the spin meter always goes to Zero when the left stick reaches bottom left, during the rotation

Last edited:
The 'problem' is absolutely not with the controller. It's a user error issue.

I was able to replicate the problem by being less precise and controlled with my stick movement. Simply turning the stick is not enough, and the speed at which you turn it will not affect the spin. You're simply looking to get the third turn completed at the same the time you push the RAS up. Timing matters, but speed does not. If you try to do it too quickly, you're less precise and controlled, and that's where the issue with the spin meter is caused.

Use the outside rim of the LAS to guide the stick around. Turn it in a smooth motion and not too quick. Practice the timing instead - dont just start turning as soon as you can. Sometimes you have to wait half a second.

The problem is not the controller, it's poor technique.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice video Joe - I found your other one quite useful showing the complete over, as although I was getting it into the green zone most times, I was rotating the stick much faster than necessary and now I'm more consistent with it. I agree that it's most likely user error rather than controller issues at play here - if the controller works fine when doing everything else it's not likely to play up when performing simple rotations of the analog stick.

If you do want to check that your controller is functioning correctly, go to;

Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers

Right click your controller and click 'Game controller settings', from this menu click your controller and hit 'Properties'. This will allow you to play around with the inputs and see visual feedback on how it is responding which should let you know whether it is functional or not.

My name isn't actually Joe by the way, it's just the name of one of my career players! ;) The joke being "You must be joking!" :lol

You can call me Joe though, if it suits :)

But yes. The problem is easily replicated by doing everything I used to do when I started learning how to bowl spin in this game. Knowing what I know now about spin bowling in this game, helps me because I know what not to do.

Nice to know my videos are helping people though. Great stuff!

The 'problem' is absolutely not with the controller. It's a user error issue.

I was able to replicate the problem by being less precise and controlled with my stick movement. Simply turning the stick is not enough, and the speed at which you turn it will not affect the spin. You're simply looking to get the third turn completed at the same the time you push the RAS up. Timing matters, but speed does not. If you try to do it too quickly, you're less precise and controlled, and that's where the issue with the spin meter is caused.

Use the outside rim of the LAS to guide the stick around. Turn it in a smooth motion and not too quick. Practice the timing instead - dont just start turning as soon as you can. Sometimes you have to wait half a second.

The problem is not the controller, it's poor technique.

Thank You for the reply... Trust me I have spent hours adjusting my movements with the left stick... Tried everything... The thing is I cant even get past the 1st rotation, let alone the 3rd... Each complete rotation causes the meter to go to 0... No matter what the movement pattern... If it was user error, then I would get it right atleast a few times wouldnt I???

----------

Nice video Joe - I found your other one quite useful showing the complete over, as although I was getting it into the green zone most times, I was rotating the stick much faster than necessary and now I'm more consistent with it. I agree that it's most likely user error rather than controller issues at play here - if the controller works fine when doing everything else it's not likely to play up when performing simple rotations of the analog stick.

If you do want to check that your controller is functioning correctly, go to;

Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers

Right click your controller and click 'Game controller settings', from this menu click your controller and hit 'Properties'. This will allow you to play around with the inputs and see visual feedback on how it is responding which should let you know whether it is functional or not.

Yea I did that, everything is fine there... Its perfectly callibrated...

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread