Proposed changes to ODI's

I don't think they should increase the field restrictions to 20 overs..it's already hard for the bowlers. it'll be interesting to see how teams use (or misuse) substitutions..

20 overs is too much.
But substitutions would be interesting..makes the game soccer style.

Shailesh said:
I don't think they should increase the field restrictions to 20 overs..it's already hard for the bowlers. it'll be interesting to see how teams use (or misuse) substitutions..

But its at the discretion of the fielding captain when to use those 2 blocks of 5 overs!

I don't like the idea of substitutions, and the best way to handle the fielding restrictions is 3 out from 15-35 and 5 from 35-50, as we do in our domestic comp, no need to be screwing around with the game to this extent

It needa a renovation i think. Give it a chance it should be trialed in the Natwest Challenge between Aus and England.

the ODI game did need some renovation ! the pattern of ODIs was getting predictable with each passing game . now that the use of the 2 blocks of the 5 overs field restrictions are in place, we might see even wickets being lost in those periods if the batsmen go for the big shots and get out ! WE might see the record of the most successful run chase being broken in the next few months .
The substituion rule might prove to be a boon for India who have ben criticized for playing 7 batsmen . Our team composition can now be 6 batsmen , M.S.Dhoni and 4 bowlers with another bowler as the substitute . WE can play 2 spinners and 2 fast bowlers in the XI and one more pacer as a sub .
As with any new rule , it could take time for us to get used to but hey, it might well reduce the predictability of ODI cricket . Test cricket is stil fine and nowadays, its test cricket which interests me more than ODIs

It sounds like it will help most if you bat second, and then you can switch-hit your worst tailender with no reprisals.
Subbing your worst fielder is hardly a biggie but then it could come in handy if he's really bad and the game is close.
Swapping on a bowler could be very interesting indeed, if the captain finds parts of his attack getting carted. Could be a clever way to blood young players, or possibly a method of utilising a bowler particularly skilled with the old ball. Perhaps even if a team plays a swing bowler and conditions don't swing well, so on comes a leggie or an offie to push the initiative.

Personally, I think the 12th man of choice will probably be a batting allrounder, but with luck, the teams will develop their own unique strategies.

Hopefully these new changes don't have a horrible and devastating but unseen flaw. That could result in a few tough months for the ICC. And maybe some bad cricket.

In the past few months ODI cricket has become dull and predictable and it desperately needs a dynamic new innovation to make it as exciting as Twenty20 cricket.

After the first ten overs of fielding restrictions, the captain could choose to hold another five overs of them at 30 overs and the next five at 40 overs, then you are free for the remaining five overs to get the batsmen out with no restrictions.

Teams could use more bowlers when they bowl and more batsmen when they bat by using the substitute rule. It will give the fielding aspect more of a kick as teams used to concentrate on having lots of batsmen and only around three bowlers. They could choose to put a fast bowler on for a spinner if the ball isn't turning much.

I think this is a change for the better and I can't wait to see it in action. However, I'm puzzled as to why the Free Hit rule hasn't been introduced.

SkateBoarder2 said:
In the past few months ODI cricket has become dull and predictable and it desperately needs a dynamic new innovation to make it as exciting as Twenty20 cricket.

After the first ten overs of fielding restrictions, the captain could choose to hold another five overs of them at 30 overs and the next five at 40 overs, then you are free for the remaining five overs to get the batsmen out with no restrictions.

Teams could use more bowlers when they bowl and more batsmen when they bat by using the substitute rule. It will give the fielding aspect more of a kick as teams used to concentrate on having lots of batsmen and only around three bowlers. They could choose to put a fast bowler on for a spinner if the ball isn't turning much.

I think this is a change for the better and I can't wait to see it in action. However, I'm puzzled as to why the Free Hit rule hasn't been introduced.
I completely agree Skateboarder.Very well said. ;)

yeah they should even try the "one ball two wickets rule"

If the striking batsman is caught out and if the fielder throws the ball to hit the stumps
,then the second guy is also out.

This could make it more interesting.,many a times the other batsman is way out of his crease.

i reckon the ING cup or australia's one day domestic format shall be introduced to the international arena. This has been discussed above by brad.

iceman_waugh said:
yeah they should even try the "one ball two wickets rule"

If the striking batsman is caught out and if the fielder throws the ball to hit the stumps
,then the second guy is also out.

This could make it more interesting.,many a times the other batsman is way out of his crease.

:noway

Well Andrew that would almost certainly mean an all rounder as 12th Man someone like Collingwood although he wouldn't be 12th man. Not sure who that would be for us. We might not even us one. Batty maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread