Proposed changes to ODI's

Sureshot said:
:noway

Well Andrew that would almost certainly mean an all rounder as 12th Man someone like Collingwood although he wouldn't be 12th man. Not sure who that would be for us. We might not even us one. Batty maybe?
This is the thing, who do you have as your sub... a "bits and pieces" player who can perform either role, a genuine all-rounder, a batsman or a bowler? If you named your team after the toss, it would be a much easier decision.

My takes....

1. ICC wants some one to break Ali Brown's highest score.
2. ICC are a bunch of blundering Jackasses

andrew_nixon said:
The one thing people seem to be forgetting about the substitute rule is that you still need to select your starting XI before the toss.

I think it should be starting XII rite? I dont think any one else other than the 12th player can substitute any one from the XI on the field! It would then not be a good move because you can literally bring in anyone to replace anyone!

saisrini80 said:
I think it should be starting XII rite? I dont think any one else other than the 12th player can substitute any one from the XI on the field! It would then not be a good move because you can literally bring in anyone to replace anyone!
You pick a starting XI and one substitute, all before the toss.

andrew_nixon said:
This is the thing, who do you have as your sub... a "bits and pieces" player who can perform either role, a genuine all-rounder, a batsman or a bowler? If you named your team after the toss, it would be a much easier decision.

Dimi Mascarenhas could be in line then.

I think I like the field restriction rules and the substitutes. The new field restriction rules will take out the lull in the middle of the innings, unless the fielding team enforces the additional overs right after the the mandatory first 10 over field restriction. If that happens then instead of 15 overs of field restriction it will be 20 overs of field restriction. however, this may bring some strategy into to ODI game in the 25-40 over period. Right now, the 20-40 over period is pretty monotonous and the only strategy is stem the run flow and if wickets come along then its a bonus. But, the additional 10 overs of field restrictions can liven up the game in the middle overs.

The substitution rule too is good but I am not too particularly intersted in it. Its another way of telling the teams that you are allowed to play with 12 players provided the batsman being subbed isn't out and bowler being subbed hasn't completed his quota of overs. Ageing bowlers like Kumble will find this rule to their liking. They can bowl 9 overs and then be ready to be subbed by a better fielder or may perhaps an additional batsman. Imagine Mcgrath been subbed by A. Symonds after McGrath has bowled 9 overs!!

A friend and I discussed the possibility of subbing off a centurion or half-centurion for a fresh batsman, thus gaining two wickets worth of batting out of the same batting position, enabling the batting side to push their advantage. Combined with the expected greater focus on batting, thus a greater opportunity for large individual scores, perhaps this could prove a clever exploit?

rahulk666 said:
Imagine Mcgrath been subbed by A. Symonds after McGrath has bowled 9 overs!!

Very interesting point didnt think about it that way, if Aus bowled first that would be one extra batsmen although wouldnt want to be the guy telling mcgrath he is subbed as he loves his batting

Just yesterday our team was paid a visit by none other than Sanjay Manjrekar. He had some really cool concepts about the rules.
Some of them are like :

1) Players like Laxman will make hay with this rule as you need one of your players who is to be replaced to be really good in one department and bad in the other.

2) The maximum advantage of this rule would be to the AUstralian cricket team.It isnt new to them as it has been tried before in thier domestic matches. Also they are the fittest teams around and dont use substitues in the field for fielding and thus thier substittion would be intact as compared to someone like India or England.

3) All-rounders will loose thier prominence to a smaller extent which again adds up to Aussie profit.

4)Spinners(genuine) wont be seen in bunches or pairs anymore (Aussies would love it too).

Just drop in your comments on this also.

More changes.

1. The cateogry of ODI member has been abolished.
2. This means that Kenya will no longer get an automatic place in the World Cup or Champions Trophy. Their place in the 2007 World Cup remains intact.
3. The top 6 associates will be eligible to play ODIs, against the test teams or each other. The top 6 will be Kenya and the top 5 teams from the ICC Trophy. If Oman finish in the top 5, the 6th placed team would be one of the top 6 associates instead.

ronny_kingsley said:
Just yesterday our team was paid a visit by none other than Sanjay Manjrekar. He had some really cool concepts about the rules.
Some of them are like :

2) The maximum advantage of this rule would be to the AUstralian cricket team.It isnt new to them as it has been tried before in thier domestic matches. Also they are the fittest teams around and dont use substitues in the field for fielding and thus thier substittion would be intact as compared to someone like India or England.

just drop in your comments on this also.

They are slow in the field. They have 2 members under 30 in their ODI side brett Lee 28 and Clarke 24.

Also, Watson's 24 and Katich is 29 (but only just). You don't magically become slow once you turn 30. I know Ponting and Martyn are still quite nimble, as is Hussey.

Users who are viewing this thread