Proposed changes to ODI's

rahulk666 said:
It doesn't matter really. Even before the match begins the teams won't pick an allrounder. Just to give you an example if I were R. Ponting, I would not pick S. Watson at all. I would rather have Clarke and B. Lee. If I am batting first and clarke does not get not out, I can replace Clarke with Lee when I am ready to bowl. If I am bowling first I will bowl McGrath for 9 overs and then replace McGrath with Clarke. Howzzat??
That situation would be impossible.

You have to name the starting XI and the substitute before the toss. In your situation, the starting XI and substitute is named after the toss.

andrew_nixon said:
That situation would be impossible.

You have to name the starting XI and the substitute before the toss. In your situation, the starting XI and substitute is named after the toss.
OK you are clearly not getting my point.

I am R. Ponting and here is my Starting XI + substitute

1. Hayden
2. Gilchrist
3. Ponting
4. Martyn
5. Hussey
6. Clarke
7. Symonds
8. Hogg
9. Gillespie
10. McGrath
11. Kasprowicz

12. B. Lee

See at the start itself I do not need Watson. I already have Clarke in his place. So If Australia is batting first I can replace Hussey or any batsman who is not out ofcourse with Lee. If Australia get all out then its too bad. However if I am bowling first I can give McGrath 8-9 overs and then sub him with Lee.

rahulk666 said:
However if I am bowling first I can give McGrath 8-9 overs and then sub him with Lee.

won't Lee be able to bowl max 2/1 overs then?

Shailesh said:
won't Lee be able to bowl max 2/1 overs then?
Exactly. If you bring on a substitute for a bowler who is bowling at the time, he can only bowl the remainder of the quota.

rahulk666 said:
However if I am bowling first I can give McGrath 8-9 overs and then sub him with Lee.
As Lee would only then get 1 or 2 overs, what is the point in this substitution?

Wouldn't you want to have a batsman come on for a bowler?

I think the rule will be fairly exciting because there is no stability. Your plans can be totally upset by just the toss. I think most of the teams will choose their normal team and have their 12th man as someone on the fringe or from their weak side. For example, India's 12th man may be another bowler since we've been having trouble with that. Therefore, when Nehra gets carted all over the park with figures of 2 overs 30 runs, we can sub-in and get Zaheer Khan in or something.

As for the extra field restrictions, these will make the game more exciting and to some extent force captains to apply pressure. They may result in more wickets and more runs. It will also allow sloggers to gain an advantage. Most captains may choose to save the last block for overs 45-50, hoping that they are able to bowl out the batting team within that frame.

What I wonder is what will happen if a captain miscalculates and forgets to use a block of overs--?

rahulk666 said:
1. Hayden
2. Gilchrist
3. Ponting
4. Martyn
5. Hussey
6. Clarke
7. Symonds
8. Hogg
9. Gillespie
10. McGrath
11. Kasprowicz

12. B. Lee

See at the start itself I do not need Watson. I already have Clarke in his place. So If Australia is batting first I can replace Hussey or any batsman who is not out ofcourse with Lee. If Australia get all out then its too bad. However if I am bowling first I can give McGrath 8-9 overs and then sub him with Lee.
See now here's what you should be doing. Firstly, Lee is in your starting 11, he is performing well. Now say, we name Watson as 12th man.

Vaughan wins the toss and the Aussies are sent in. In this event, come the 2nd innings, Watson is subbed on for Hayden, Martyn or Hussey. Clarke and Symonds are much too important fielders compared to these three. Now Australia have an additional bowler to support the attack.

Perhaps the Aussies bowl first though. This is the easier sub. This is the best reason to have a batsman or an allrounder at 12. They get through the first innings and have several options. They can sub Watson on for a current batsman, preserving a wicket, or more likely on for McGrath, their worst batsman. Maybe they could have Katich as 12th man purely to use this advantage, given the standard bowling attack is more than solid.

In most cases, the first XI will still be the best XI. There will be no subbing on of Andy Symonds and certainly if Brett Lee doesn't make the XI, don't expect him to be subbed on later.

These changes will be fun for our ODI side. Bring in Bell out Vaughan please.

my pakistan team would be

salman butt
shahid afridi
shoaib malik
inzi
youhana
younis
razzaq
akmal
rana
shoaib
sami
12th man azhar mahmood for late fireworks

Well I didn't like the new rules. It's too complicated and I rather prefer the Old rules I like.

Well, then you seem to be simply against change. We can see the new rules, try and understand it and if it still fails to make any comprehension, we can picket against it. It's a little difficult to understand now because of all the strategies that can develop. I think we just have to wait until the England v. Australia pilot series (Natwest Challenge, in other words).

As someone said during the Natwest final (commentating), this may force all teams to take the extra bowler in their team early on and then bowl first. So this may be balancing out the extra field restrictions, in a way.

The player substitution rules are not required.It will ruin the player stats.

that is minor issue compared to confusing cases like todays match - "Australia introduced their supersub when Brad Hogg replaced Matthew Hayden although, confusingly, Hayden remained on the field for Watson. "

Well, with the introduction of "Powerplays" and "Supersubs" I think we should rename a few other things. The ball should be referred to as the "Orb of Destiny", boundaries can be called "Megascores", a cricket bat will be a "club-o-tron" the umpires are the "Decision masters", the wicketkeeper becomes "Frogman of Doom" and the fielder at gully can be "Superslip".

Users who are viewing this thread