World Cup Quarter Finals Discussion

Sad way to see Jayawardene and Sangakarra bow out of the game but they've done exceptionally well for the 'Bridesmaids' over the years, good luck to SA when they face NZ in the semis, will be rooting for the Kiwia, SA may choke![DOUBLEPOST=1426681526][/DOUBLEPOST]
Last match for Sanga and Jayawardene?

If yes then while its not been the farewell they wanted, but they go out as legends.

Yes.

Both are going on a high for sure. I mean Sanga is retiring right after scoring 4 back to back centuries in a world cup. He will be proud

But what a performance by South Africa. Total domination

A huge disappointment as far as the contest goes, but good to see SA finally getting rid of that knockout hoodoo. I expected them to win this (at some point, they have to bury the tag) but didn't expect a humiliation like this for Sri Lanka.

Well done to the duo of Sangakkara and Jayawardene. Sri Lankan cricket and the rest of the world will surely miss them in the intl arena. Sanga is retiring on a huge high which is very commendable.

So India v BD today at MCG. *beginning the procession*

Its a 50/50 chance for both teams and I would go as far as to say it could be advantage BD as they are going up against an Indian team that is hardly ever known for its consistency. Let alone outside the subcontinent. Not to mention, the onset of complacency that almost always sets in after a series of wins

Just read the preview: showers could be expected during the game. A shortened/interrupted match would make BD deadlier

Last edited:
Sad way to see Jayawardene and Sangakarra bow out of the game but they've done exceptionally well for the 'Bridesmaids' over the years, good luck to SA when they face NZ in the semis, will be rooting for the Kiwia, SA may choke![DOUBLEPOST=1426681526][/DOUBLEPOST]

Yes.

NZ has lost 7 semi finals, so who really is the chokers when it comes to the semi's....

I think people misunderstand the chokers tag associated with South Africa. Its not about losing in big matches. Its the absolute capitulation that happens to the team in big games from a very strong position. The run-out in 1999, the ridiculous miscalculations against SL in 2003 and the absolute chaos against NZ in 2011.

Sad way to see Jayawardene and Sangakarra bow out of the game but they've done exceptionally well for the 'Bridesmaids' over the years, good luck to SA when they face NZ in the semis, will be rooting for the Kiwia, SA may choke!

alternatively, they may lose

Choking is losing an important game that you really should definitely win or throwing away a game when you are in winning conditions. If South Africa lost to Sri Lanka by being bowled out for 100 in the game just passed then that would be choking. They aren't going into a game against New Zealand as overwhelming favourites by any means, and its quite likely that New Zealand could set 320 and bowl South Africa out for 280 with both teams playing well but with New Zealand just playing better. Just because South Africa lose a game of cricket doesn't mean that they've "choked", it could easily mean that they've been outplayed by a better team!

NZ has lost 7 semi finals, so who really is the chokers when it comes to the semi's....

In most if not all those occasions they were rated as underdogs! For what its worth I want NZ to win and in my book NZ are the better team in all areas, better fieldsmen, better bowlers and better batsmen. I will agree that on paper SA look better but NZ is playing relentless cricket and everyone is chipping in, their attitude in general exceeds that of SA.

Last edited by a moderator:
alternatively, they may lose

Choking is losing an important game that you really should definitely win or throwing away a game when you are in winning conditions. If South Africa lost to Sri Lanka by being bowled out for 100 in the game just passed then that would be choking. They aren't going into a game against New Zealand as overwhelming favourites by any means, and its quite likely that New Zealand could set 320 and bowl South Africa out for 280 with both teams playing well but with New Zealand just playing better. Just because South Africa lose a game of cricket doesn't mean that they've "choked", it could easily mean that they've been outplayed by a better team!

Well its a never ending argument with the use of the word 'choke', however it has been synonymous with South Africa since they have been on the wrong end of many close encounters or cases in which they were expected to win and they didn't. I do see the point you're making though since both NZ and SA are both top class teams, so rather than choke they may lose, agreed.

So India v BD today at MCG. *beginning the procession*

Its a 50/50 chance for both teams and I would go as far as to say it could be advantage BD as they are going up against an Indian team that is hardly ever known for its consistency. Let alone outside the subcontinent. Not to mention, the onset of complacency that almost always sets in after a series of wins

Just read the preview: showers could be expected during the game. A shortened/interrupted match would make BD deadlier

Giving India equal odds ... !! India are a poor team and have been extremely lucky so far. B'desh will destroy India tomorrow.

The Indian posters who are saying that Bangladesh should be odds on favourite to win today should be ashamed of themselves. It is the most ridiculous thing I have heard

The Indian posters who are saying that Bangladesh should be odds on favourite to win today should be ashamed of themselves. It is the most ridiculous thing I have heard

Theyve done similar in the Group B matches:

World Cup - Group B - Pool Matches Discussion Thread | Page 15 - Cricket Discussion on PlanetCricket Forums

I dont think they meant anything bad but they need to understand that by posting like this they are insulting the fans of Bangladesh, as they have done the WI fans and others.

I dont think they meant anything bad but they need to understand that by posting like this they are insulting the fans of Bangladesh, as they have done the WI fans and others.

It doesn't sound good when you post this.

One thing that will be very interesting to see is how Sri Lanka and its board along with the selectors grapple with the task of making sure SL do not fall away after the retirement of Sanga and Jaya. For a country that's not as batting rich as some of the other countries like India and Australia, it can surely be a massive task to fill these two big holes. What we do not want is for Sri Lanka to wither away like how the West Indies did. SL selectors need to find batsmen with good flair and personality.

Both these guys were very good gentlemen of the game. They existed in that era of gentlemen cricketers and are close to being the final "rare species" of that breed of gentlemen cricketers. They are very few more left in the game (e.g. Dhoni, Amla). Next time we play SL, Indian fans will definitely miss the presence of Sanga and Jaya.

Users who are viewing this thread