World Cup Quarter Finals Discussion

1.The fact that the media isn't sure who will play doesn't really matter. Pretty sure it will be rillee 99%.
2.Steyn is a class, he gets better the more he bowls. He was distracted by the fire that nearly burned down his house. He will be ready for when it really matters. Champions step up for the big games.
3. Philander is a class act + he offers more with the bat then abbot.
4.You haven't watched him much if you think he is a shocking finishers. He is one of our better finishers. As to this absurd notion that if ab fails SA fails, we have won plenty of games were ab hasn't performed. In fact from a statistical point of view Amla is much more important, we win 85% of games were he makes 50 or more.

I'm not bothered about the media. I'll take your word that Roussow will play. Either way, this should not have been a subject of discussion before a QF. I assure you, I can name the XI for at least three teams, before the QF stage begins. A team like SA, is expected to be in that bracket.

Dale Steyn, is the best fast bowler of this generation. I doubt, he won't be a consideration in any all time World XI. I heard about the fire, and it's disturbing. I grant him that. However, if there was ever a time the proteas needed him to deliver, it's NOW. The kind of form Sangakkara is in, will require either a blunder from himself, or some magic from Morkel/Steyn. Believe you me, I've followed Sanga a lot, and he will be looking for number five tomorrow. Four won't satisfy that fat stomach of runs.

I don't care what Philander offers with the bat. He's there to pick wickets and he's just not going to do that in Australia. It's the same with Bhuvaneshwar Kumar from India. He offers more with the bat, but, Mohit is a better ODI bowler in Australian conditions, although Bhuvi is better with the bat.

I really rate JP. But, I don't believe he's done enough in pressure situations. You look at the finishers around the world and Duminy doesn't make the cut for most people. I've not seen him steer SA in a 8/9 RPO chase in the last 10 overs ever. He's a middle order batsman at the moment with the responsibility of bowling ten overs.

Last, but not least. I really really feel for South Africa. I desperately hope, they can shut a lot of people up. I'm a deep lover of their cricket and more than seeing journalists gobsmacked, I want to see the likes of De Villiers and Steyn end up with cricket's richest prize because talent like that comes once in a generation. I also am well aware that a lot of their success is owed to the likes of Graeme Smith and Jaques Kallis who gave their lives and were honest servants of the sport. I want to see the rainbow nation joyous, if it's not the tri colour that flies high. You may not believe me, but my feelings are as honest as they come. It's a true true de Villiers fan, that stands outside hotels to get his autograph.

However, like I said, the heart is 50:50, the mind says that it's all going to be over tomorrow.

ABD says:

"No one is going to ask us if we played exceptional cricket when we win the World Cup, we're just going to say that we won the Cup, so we're just going to find a way to win the game tomorrow. All I can say is we're not going to choke. We're just going to play a good game of cricket tomorrow and come out on top. Simple."

I think, this is a very good frame of mind to be in. Ofcourse if this is only for the media or if the team actually does feel this way, we will find out tonight

Loosing Irfan and that too before match against Australia is the final nail in the coffin for Pakistan. Irfan is much like Saeed Ajmal and now we don't have any mystery or xfactor bowler. Since Pakistan don't have many options for match against Australia so I hope they include Yasir Shah instead of Ehsan Adil. Aussies are pretty weak against spin except probably Steve Smith and Michael Clarke and trial by spin is the only way to make things in favor of Pakistan.

ABD says:

I think, this is a very good frame of mind to be in. Ofcourse if this is only for the media or if the team actually does feel this way, we will find out tonight

I am not sure that is a great frame of mind to go into a KO with to be honest. Not confident that they will play their best, and hoping that even if they play poorly they will eventually scrape through and win the cup anyway.

Thats like one of the worst things for a captain to have said before the KO.

It sounded more like "everyone just stfu. We are going to win tomorrow, by hook or by crook". It shows a desperation to win instead of an elitist mentality like we are the best team in the cup and we are bound to win. I like it :cheers

Ofcourse, only Abd knows what he actually means and what kind of a mindset the team actually is in.

SriLanka is in the driving seat now by just winning the toss. Anything above 280 will be very hard to chase for South Africa.

OMG! SL have got a major advantage here by winning the all important toss. If Sanga continues his recent WC form and is helped a bit by the likes of Dilshan and Mahela on this Sydney pitch, a 300+ should be very possible. And then you know..... I won't say it! Its so tempting to keep it floating around.:p

On a lighter note, I like the Sri Lankan national anthem. Sounds very much like an Indian aarti (i.e. a song sung in praise of the lord).

Abbott has been really impressive for South Africa and he has started brilliantly in this match as well. If they get Sanga here quickly, Sri Lanka will be in huge pressure. Still don't understand why Sri Lanka changed their successful opening partnership.[DOUBLEPOST=1426650770][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh Dilshan is gone now, some excellent catching by South Africans.

SAF on fire ..another 5 overs like this and it will remove 300 from the equation

Hope Steyn hasn't broken his neck with that kind of a celebration.:p I understand how much a win here means, but they just need to stay calm. Man, I just feel a lot of sympathy for these guys right now.

SAF on fire ..another 5 overs like this and it will remove 300 from the equation

This partnership to get Sri Lanka back into this game. You heard it here first (i.e. if it works). :p

This is a good time for SA to bring back one of the quicks and try take a wicket. Just, for 3-4 overs.
I think if SL put up 250, with that mystery spin, a nervous SA batting and a turning wicket, SL can win.
People will mourn about Sangakkara's S/R but if he stays there, he will get it around 100 soon!

Tahir is getting real turn here. I think he is a much improved bowler than he was say 2 years ago.

However the question is with the pitch offering this much turn, perhaps SL are in with a shot with even a score of around 250.

Users who are viewing this thread