PS3: Ranji Trophy Competition | Punjab Warriors (Kushari) WIN THE LEAGUE

Hi I would like to retain R Ashwin as my 3rd Icon

Latest squads to be posted here. Managers, please ensure your squads are accurate.

Code:
[B]Team 1: Punjab
Manager: Kushari
Squad:[/B]
1. Lala Amarnath / Navjot Singh Sidhu
2. Yuvraj Singh
3. Harbhajan Singh
4. Vacant

[B]Team 2: Bengal
Manager: Ishaan k
Squad[/B]
1. Saurav Ganguly
2. Mohammed Shami
3. Manoj Tiwary
4. Laxmi Ratan Shukla

[B]Team 3: Tamil Nadu
Manager: Solomon
Squad[/B]
1. S Venkataraghavan
2. M Vijay
3. Dinesh Karthik
4. Vacant

[B]Team 4: Mumbai
Manager: Valerian140
Squad[/B]
1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Rohit Sharma
3. Zaheer Khan
4. Wasim Jaffer

[B]Team 5: Baroda
Manager: bradthelad
Squad[/B]
1. Vijay Hazare
2. Irfan Pathan
3. Yusuf Pathan
4. Ambati Rayudu

[B]Team 6: Saurashtra
Manager: Rahulr
Squad[/B]
1. Amar Singh
2. ?
3. ?
4. ?

[B]Team 7: Karnataka
Manager: sarvesh_aus
Squad[/B]
1. Rahul Dravid
2. Robin Uthappa
3. Mayank Agarwal
4. Vacant

[B]Team 8: Delhi
Manager: arjwiz
Squad[/B]
1. Jimmy Amarnath
2. Virender Sehwag
3. Gautam Gambhir
4. Virat Kohli

[B]Team 9: Jammu and Kashmir
Manager: Angrypixel
Squad[/B]
1. Suresh Raina
2. ?
3. ?
4. ?

[B]Team 10: Kerala
Manager: azad
Squad[/B]
1. S Sreesanth
2. Vacant
3. Vacant
4. Vacant

[B]Team 11: Jharkhand
Manager: honu999
Squad[/B]
1. MS Dhoni
2. Varun Aaron
3. Saurabh Tiwary
4. Vacant
----------

Managers, please pick your legend and icons. Refer to Ishaan's post below for ideas.

Read the rules above to decide how many icons you want to pick. You can pick between zero and three. It is advisable to pick at least some so as to get your squad started.

• Replaced Mayank Agarwal with Vinay Kumar for Karnataka
  • Added R Ashwin to Tamil Nadu

If @AngryPixel and @rahulr don't respond by tonight confirming their availability for tomorrow and their icon players they will be removed from the competition.

Since we haven't heard from either rahul or Angrypixel, I am going to remove them from the auction and from the tournament. This leaves us with 9 teams, which is also a good number to play with.

Since Angrypixel did register his availability for tomorrow, if he does confirm by Sunday morning that he still wants to play, and gives us his list of icon players, then we will bring him back into the game. Same rule applies for anyone else who is interested in joining the tournament. Reply by Sunday morning with your icon players and you will be in the auction.

Auction rules coming up in the next 20 minutes.

Edit: Well those 20 minutes took an additional 2 hours! Finally, rules are here.

Last edited:

Auction Rules

Time

Sunday 30 March 2014 - 1300 GMT / 2pm London / 6:30pm India
(Remember, for those of you affected, Daylight Savings Time will come into play on Sunday)

The auction should last for about two hours, but could go on longer if everyone wishes to continue.

The auction will happen live on this thread. All managers should report before time to ask questions. I will be around from Sunday morning GMT. If we have a quorum of 4-5 interested managers, we could conduct a couple of mock draft rounds starting at noon GMT.

If you are late, the auction will begin without you. This would not be not fun for anyone, so please be there on time.

Objective

Each manager has to purchase six players using a budget of $100,000. This includes one Indian Tier A, one Indian Tier B, two International (non-subcontinental), one sub-continental (non-India), and one Associate nation player.

Each icon player not retained would require the manager to purchase an additional player in the auction, with an added budget of $6,000 for each icon not retained. This additional amount can be used on any player during the auction.

Format (read carefully!)

Before the Auction

The auction will be broken into 9 rounds, equal to the number of teams in the tournament (which we will finalise by Sunday morning, depending on additional signups or withdrawals).

Each round will include a list of six players being auctioned simultaneously - one Tier A, one Tier B, two Internationals, one subcontinental, and one Associate. The order of the auction is provided below further down in this post.

During each round

During each round of bidding, managers need to use their budget to bid for players of their choice. They can bid for between zero or six players, as long as their budget and squad structure allow for it. To bid, just copy and paste the list of players in the round from the previous bidder, replace that person?s bid with your own bids, and write your username next to the bid.

A round will end only when no manager has posted a followup bid for four minutes.

Since this forum does not provide seconds in time stamps, we will use minutes, and assume that the bid was made in the first second of that minute.

For example, if a manager bids at 13:44, any followup bid must be made by another manager before (not including) 13:48. If he bids at 13:48 or later, the bid is not valid. If he bids at 13:44 or 13:45 or 13:46 or 13:47, then the bid is valid. This process continues until no manager has bid within the last four minutes.

This process gives every manager enough time to make his calculations. It also keeps the auction process 100% transparent, eliminating the need of an arbitrator. Keep refreshing your pages!

If you edit your post, the edited timestamp will be considered.

Example
As an example, round one may include the following hypothetical list, which I will post as a template at the beginning of each round:

Code:
[I]Posted by arjwiz at 13:10[/I]
[U]Round 1[/U]
(IndA) Rahane - $0
(IndB) Binny - $0
(Int) Clarke - $0
(Int) Broad - $0
(Sub) R Herath - $0
(As) Ed Joyce - $0

[I]Posted by Solomon at 13:12[/I]
[U]Round 1[/U]
(IndA) Rahane - $0 
(IndB) Binny - $8000 Solomon
(Int) Clarke - $11000 Solomon
(Int) Broad - $8000 Solomon
(Sub) R Herath - $0 
(As) Ed Joyce -$0 

[I]Posted by Ishaan k at 13:13[/I]
[U]Round 1[/U]
(IndA) Rahane - $100000 Ishaan k
(IndB) Binny - $8000 Solomon
(Int) Clarke - $11000 Solomon
(Int) Broad - $8000 Solomon
(Sub) R Herath - $0
(As) Ed Joyce -$3000 Ishaan k

..and so on.

After each round

At the end of each round, I will post the results of the round. I will do a sanity check to ensure that no one has bid more than they can afford or that no one is going to break the squad composition rules. I will also post the budget that each manager has used and that he has remaining.

If a manager wins a player that his budget does not allow for, then the next highest bidder will have first option to choose the player at the price he bid for, at the end of the round. If he does not want to choose that player anymore (perhaps because he bought some other player in the same round), that player will remain unsold for the moment, and will come back into the auction later.

After I make this post, I will then post the list of the following round (which is already known to everyone - no surprises or advantages for the auctioneer). I will take a few moments to make this post, so that everyone has an equal chance of seeing this post, and that I personally don?t have any advantage of making the post.

I would advise, for your own sake, that you maintain the budgets that you have remaining on an excel file or piece of paper during the auction. Also ensure that you are aiming to get one of each of the six categories of players, and remember that once you have won a player you cannot bid for another one from that category (except when bidding for a second International player). Another piece of strategy is to go for a diverse squad, since Ishaan plans on holding the games in multiple venues around the world, so you don't know what pitch or weather conditions your game will be played in.

Auction List

At the end of the auction, each of the 60 players listed in the first 9 rounds below would have been sold. Due to the structure of the squads, no player can remain unsold at the end of the auction. If someone is unsold at the end of a round, he will be brought back into the auction later.

The auction list is as follows (figures in brackets indicate base price):

Round 1
(IndA - $8000) Bhuvaneshwar Kumar - $0
(IndB - $6000) Praveen Kumar - $0
(Int - $8000) Peter Siddle - $0
(Int - $8000) James Anderson - $0
(Sub- $6000) Umar Gul - $0
(As - $3000) Sagar Pun - $0

Round 2
(IndA - $8000) Amit Mishra - $0
(IndB - $6000) Mohit Sharma - $0
(Int - $8000) Vernon Philander - $0
(Int - $8000) Ian Bell - $0
(Sub- $6000) Saeed Ajmal - $0
(As - $3000) Majid Haq - $0

Round 3
(IndA - $8000) Ajinkya Rahane - $0
(IndB - $6000) S Badrinath - $0
(Int - $8000) David Warner - $0
(Int - $8000) Kevin Pieterson - $0
(Sub- $6000) Misbah Ul Haq - $0
(As - $3000) William Porterfield - $0

Round 4
(IndA - $8000) Ravindra Jadeja - $0
(IndB - $6000) Mayank Agarwal - $0
(Int - $8000) Shane Watson - $0
(Int - $8000) Mitchell Johnson - $0
(Sub- $6000) Angelo Matthews - $0
(As - $3000) Peter Borren - $0

Round 5
(IndA - $8000) Shikhar Dhawan - $0
(IndB - $6000) Abhinav Mukund - $0
(Int - $8000) Michael Clarke - $0
(Int - $8000) Chris Gayle - $0
(Sub- $6000) Mahela Jayawardene - $0
(As - $3000) Ed Joyce - $0

Round 6
(IndA - $8000) Suresh Raina - $0
(IndB - $6000) Jaydev Unadkat - $0
(Int - $8000) Dale Steyn - $0
(Int - $8000) Stuart Broad - $0
(Sub- $6000) Shakib-Al-Hasan - $0
(As - $3000) Mohammed Nabi - $0

Round 7
(IndA - $8000) Piyush Chawla - $0
(IndB - $6000) Parthiv Patel - $0
(Int - $8000) AB DeVilliers - $0
(Int - $8000) Brendon McCullum - $0
(Sub- $6000) Kamran Akmal - $0
(As - $3000) Geriant Jones - $0

Round 8
(IndA - $8000) Cheteshwar Pujara - $0
(IndB - $6000) Umesh Yadav- $0
(Int - $8000) Alistair Cook - $0
(Int - $8000) Shivnarine Chanderpaul - $0
(Sub- $6000) Kumar Sangakkara - $0
(As - $3000) Ryan Ten Doeschate - $0

Round 9
(IndA - $8000) Pragyan Ojha - $0
(IndB - $6000) Ashish Nehra - $0
(Int - $8000) Hashim Amla - $0
(Int - $8000) Ross Taylor - $0
(Sub- $6000) Younis Khan - $0
(As - $3000) Niall O?Brien - $0

Backups
(IndA) Wriddhiman Saha, Stuart Binny, Ashok Dinda, Rahul Sharma, Munaf Patel
(IndB) Abhimanyu Mithun, Yogesh Takawale, S Aravind, RP Singh
(International) none
(Subcontinental) Junaid Khan, Umar Akmal, Rangana Herath, Shoaib Malik, Mohammed Hafeez, Tamim Iqbal, Dinesh Chandimal, T Dilshan, Thisara Perera, Ahmed Shehzad, Mushfiqur Rahim, Kusal Perera, Shaminda Eranga, Ajantha Mendis, Nuwan Kulasekara, Upul Tharanga, Jeevan Mendis, Asad Shafiq, Nasir Jamshed, Wahab Riaz, Azhar Ali, Bilawal Bhatti
(As) Kevin O'Brien, Paras Khadka, Dawlat Zadran, Paul Stirling, Ben Cooper, Tom Cooper, George Dockrell, Jamie Atkinson, Kyle Coetzer, Boyd Rankin, Trent Johnson

Manager budgets and backup bidding

@kushari - $106,000 (1 backup needed)
@Ishaan k - $100,000
@Solomon - $100,000
@valerian140 - $100,000
@bradthelad - $100,000
@Sarvesh_aus - $106,000 (1 backup needed)
@arjwiz - $100,000
@azad - $118,000 (3 backups needed)
@honu999 - $106,000 (1 backup needed)

A total of 6 backup players need to be bid for, based on the list above. Backup bidding will only commence once the 9 initial rounds are complete. The backup auction will be conducted as one extra round, similar to the other ones, only for those managers who did not retain all three icons. These empty slots must be filled from the backup list only. Same base price rules apply. As long as your budget allows, you can pick from any category of player.

--

This has taken a lot of effort (I?m not complaining, I enjoyed it). I appreciate everyone making it before time on Sunday. Hopefully we can do a mock round. Ask me any questions now.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Is this the Final Player List...I would like you to have a Cut Off time and produce the final player list for Auction and Draft so that we can prepare in advance..
There should be cut off time for someone to claim a new team now...or we will still be in dark till the last moment that who will be the final players on the auction list...

----------

Since Angrypixel did register his availability for tomorrow, if he does confirm by Sunday morning that he still wants to play, and gives us his list of icon players, then we will bring him back into the game. Same rule applies for anyone else who is interested in joining the tournament. Reply by Sunday morning with your icon players and you will be in the auction.[/B]

What is the Cut Off time you are offering for someone to join, I don't think it is OK if someone want to join just before the start of Auction..I think you should announce the Final Cut Off time and then Final List of Player within next 01 hrs.

Last edited:
Player list look very interesting. I have my eyes on the 6 players I want. :)

The base Price of the Player Should be mentioned along with names during the auction, for example:

Round 1
(IndA) Bhuvaneshwar Kumar (Base Price)- $0
(IndB) Praveen Kumar (Base Price) - $0
(Int) Peter Siddle (Base Price) - $0
(Int) James Anderson (Base Price) - $0
(Sub) Umar Gul (Base Price) - $0
(As) Sagar Pun - $0

Last edited:
Dear arjwiz,
Bhai, Can you include the below player in International Player List. I would like to have few of them in my team.

1) Gj Bailey
2) GJ Maxwell
3) DE Bollinger
4) JP Faulkner
5) SPD Smith
6) DA. Miller
7) Q de Kock
8) Ravi Rampaul
9) S. Narine
10) K. A. Pollard
11) DJG Sammy
12) CJ Anderson
13) KS Williamson

These are some lovely questions and it makes me feel like most of you have a good understanding of the process in general.

I have tried to answer everything below.

@arjwiz will the drafts commence straight after the auctions or are they set for a different date?
Good question. Drafts will happen over the course of a few days. You don't need to be online for that. It will be a snaking-order draft for Tier C and D Indian players. Ishaan will create the list after the auction and will include all Indian A & B backup players who have not been bought today. I will explain the details after the auction.

So I can purchase a total of 6 regular plus 6 backup players?
You personally can only pick 6 regular players through the auction, and do not have access to the backup list. Same goes for anyone else who has picked three icons. You already have 4 players in your squad, and will get 6 more through the auction. The remaining 4 will be Tier C and D India players obtained through the draft.

Is this the Final Player List...I would like you to have a Cut Off time and produce the final player list for Auction and Draft so that we can prepare in advance..
There should be cut off time for someone to claim a new team now...or we will still be in dark till the last moment that who will be the final players on the auction list...
This is the final list. Angrypixel and rahulr are out. I have already included Angrypixel's original legend pick, Suresh Raina, in the Tier A draft. We are 9 managers.

Player list look very interesting. I have my eyes on the 6 players I want. :)

Me too. It will require patience from us to avoid being greedy and bidding for players we don't want! :D

The base Price of the Player Should be mentioned along with names during the auction, for example:

Round 1
(IndA) Bhuvaneshwar Kumar (Base Price)- $0
(IndB) Praveen Kumar (Base Price) - $0
(Int) Peter Siddle (Base Price) - $0
(Int) James Anderson (Base Price) - $0
(Sub) Umar Gul (Base Price) - $0
(As) Sagar Pun - $0

Good idea. I have added this now.

Dear arjwiz,
Bhai, Can you include the below player in International Player List. I would like to have few of them in my team.

The player list includes the exact number of players that need to be auctioned in today's draft, none more that will remain unauctioned. This is in interest of time and simplicity. The list that is submitted is a subset of Ishaan's original list. Including any other players will only come at the cost of excluding some of the current players. The current players have all been selected based on their ICC Test Rankings and popularity (for example, Gayle and Pieterson were selected ahead of some other players who were slightly ahead of them in the rankings). Therefore I think it is unlikely anyway that players from your list will get sold ahead of the high-quality players in the actual auction list of 18 International players.

However, this is a game to be enjoyed after all, so if all players agree before or all agree after the auction, we can have an extra round of snake draft for 9 additional International players, therefore making it a final squad of 15 each. Personally I am against this idea, since I think there will always be some players that you wanted in your team but no one can access, even if your squad is of 20. I think the way it is currently is the simplest format, which is what Ishaan and I were going for, since this is an inaugural competition. :)

Adding extra players who will remain unsold will extend the auction time a lot. We are already pressed for time in trying to complete these 9 rounds within 2 hours, which I think is fairly unlikely.

--

I have a question of my own. Have any of you created a cool excel spreadsheet with formulae that you are willing to share? If not, I am building my own after breakfast and will try and share it with you all if I am successful. It will come in handy during the auction.

In case managers are exhausted after a few rounds of the auction or have prior commitments and need to leave (after 1500GMT), as I mentioned earlier, we will reschedule or conduct another form of auction for the remaining players.

I expect to be online regularly from now until the auction, so fire away with questions. Also, if you guys want, let's do a mock auction starting at 12pm GMT (in just under 3 hours). Just reply to this thread indicating if you will be there at noon GMT. I will.

I hope I have answered all your questions. @valerian140, yours especially.

Last edited:
Yes thanks my questions have been answered. I do not mind having a mock auction. I have not prepared an excel sheet as I would be travelling around that time to work. So will try to manage the auction somehow and get my required players. Rules are simple and with limited number of players and a limited budget, it should not take much time I hope.

First of all I would like to offer my sincere thanks & gratitude to both ARJWIZ and ISHAAN for taking this responsibility for creating this Online Tournament and also framing the rules for the auction.. You guys rocks...

As for the auction, I dont feel the need for any mock auction, rather if all the Managers are somehow present say by 1200 GMT, I would like you to commence the auction ASAP (Provided everyone is available) so that I dont miss on the India vs Australia Match this evening..It will be quite difficult to concentrate on both at the same time..

Lets the play begin....(I will be mostly online throughout today from now on)..

Yes I agree with Kushari. If all players get online a little early, it would be better to start the auction earlier if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread