PS3: Ranji Trophy Competition | Punjab Warriors (Kushari) WIN THE LEAGUE

Guys, for the tournament structure, I am still undecided. I am deliberating between the following:

Format A: 3 groups of 3 each, followed by semis and a final.

This means 5 teams play 2 matches each, 2 teams play 3 matches each, and 2 teams play 4 matches each. I think this is not enough, and don't want there to be a disparity between the number of matches each person gets to play. If one loses, the penalty should only be a lower ranking in the table, not a lesser number of matches. All this effort of creating teams (by the Ishaan, myself, and especially the manager himself) and he only gets to play 2 games - not enough in my opinion.

Format B: 1 league of 9 teams, with each playing 4-5 matches (similar to an earlier IPL format).

The advantage of this is that everyone gets to play the same number of games and retains interest till the end. The advantage is also that everyone gets to play more games. The tournament itself will take the same time to complete, since the maximum number of games played by any team can be 4 (same as in the first format).

I am leaning very heavily towards Format B. The only thing I am waiting for is to see exactly how long it takes to play a test match on DBC, and how fun or boring it is to do so. Especially playing a test match online. I am trying to avoid a situation where some people get bored midway through the tournament and leave.

I'll have to wait till this weekend before I can play DBC, but for those of you who have started, just let me know how you are finding it.

@Solomon of course I am playing the game..The learning curve is quite difficult.. It will take much time to fully understand and get comfortable with the controls..

I will try to put some screenshot if possible..desperately want to try playing with my Punjab Warrior Playing 11.. Let see when Ishaan make the Teams in CA and we can start practicing with our teams.

I am game for practice matches.

Btw I read there are some concerns regarding online gameplay. We need to see how this need to be managed. Maybe the teams should save match at sometime. But the concern with that is, when we save we don't have an option of save and continue. Only save and exit is there. Plus need to see how smooth the gameplay is going to be with the connectivity.

What is the internet speed? Mine is 40 Mbps

im doing it on imovie @arjwiz since i dont know how to put it up on planetcricket I think ill post it on youtube

Guys, for the tournament structure, I am still undecided. I am deliberating between the following:

Format A: 3 groups of 3 each, followed by semis and a final.

This means 5 teams play 2 matches each, 2 teams play 3 matches each, and 2 teams play 4 matches each. I think this is not enough, and don't want there to be a disparity between the number of matches each person gets to play. If one loses, the penalty should only be a lower ranking in the table, not a lesser number of matches. All this effort of creating teams (by the Ishaan, myself, and especially the manager himself) and he only gets to play 2 games - not enough in my opinion.

Format B: 1 league of 9 teams, with each playing 4-5 matches (similar to an earlier IPL format).

The advantage of this is that everyone gets to play the same number of games and retains interest till the end. The advantage is also that everyone gets to play more games. The tournament itself will take the same time to complete, since the maximum number of games played by any team can be 4 (same as in the first format).

I am leaning very heavily towards Format B. The only thing I am waiting for is to see exactly how long it takes to play a test match on DBC, and how fun or boring it is to do so. Especially playing a test match online. I am trying to avoid a situation where some people get bored midway through the tournament and leave.

I'll have to wait till this weekend before I can play DBC, but for those of you who have started, just let me know how you are finding it.

I would favor the Plan B. But as you mentioned about the interest level of players is something we need to take into account. My only concern is the connectivity problem. If the connectivity gets dropped the game flow won't be the same. Someone who is on top of the game while batting and suddenly the net goes off can be pretty annoying. I haven't personally played the game and I would like to hear more from people who have played the game online. Can you guys throw some light?

I heard that save and continue is indeed there, it is just a question of finding it.

This is one of the reasons why one can play multiplayer across several sittings.

I have 76 Mbps.

Player trading out:Baba Indrajith (Tier D all rounder)
Player requested: Baba Aparajith (Tier D Allrounder)
good trade guys:)

Player trading out:Baba Indrajith (Tier D all rounder)
Player requested: Baba Aparajith (Tier D Allrounder)
good trade guys:)

I will hold on to Aparajit as he is a better batsman

I would favor the Plan B. But as you mentioned about the interest level of players is something we need to take into account. My only concern is the connectivity problem. If the connectivity gets dropped the game flow won't be the same. Someone who is on top of the game while batting and suddenly the net goes off can be pretty annoying. I haven't personally played the game and I would like to hear more from people who have played the game online. Can you guys throw some light?

@arjwiz It would take half as long as it takes in real cricket match..even if you cut off replay etc, but still a fast bowler will take usual run-ups so it takes minimum 02 minute to complete 01 Over (06 Balls) if its a maiden over, and if there are running between wickets or 4/6 shot, then it may taker Maximum 03 minutes per over. So for a full 270 Over Match, we are looking potentially a match length of 810 Minutes (03 Minutes Per Over), or 13.5 Hrs Per Match..

Now the problem would be how much 02 managers playing with each other can accommodate one another to finish through the match..I can see a situation, if one team is thoroughly dominated by other team, for example Team-A Bated 1st and gets all out for just 65 Runs , and somehow Team B for having greater Batsman attributes makes anything over 200 runs (With Just 01 or 02 Wickets down), I find it hard for Team-A to be motivated enough to continue with this match rather than playing his career mode. This would be a real problem with most of the guys (no matter whatever they claim right now about spirit of the game etc).....

I very strongly suggest, as it is anyway quite difficult to grasp this game in the beginning, we should 1st play an IPL style 20 Over match with each other and see how the online features are working..If the IPL style tournament is a success, we can always later on (In the Month of June / July) go ahead with this 04 Day Match thing with the same team..I don't see its a practical thing to invest in 270 Over of a game when we are still learning how NOT TO BOWL NO BALLS & WIDES..and HOW TO JUST SURVIVE WITHOUT GETTING OUT in DUCK..

Moreover, we all will play with each other for the very 1st time, and we all are from different time zones and different Internet Speeds, so why not play an IPL Style league as a warm up to the real thing and in that way, we can polish and take care of potential issues and problems which we may find during our 20 Over Matches..so that we are 100% ready to play 4 Day Match..

Finally, I believe we all are playing DBC14 in general and this Ranji League in particular for enjoyment only, it should not feel like we are going to sit for an Examination...I am saying this as I am now playing this game for last 04/05 days, and believe me it is nothing similar to IC10 (Thats a very very good thing though), and as soon as you all will get this game (whoever has not received it yet), then you will surely start playing your career mode (may be more than 01 carrier player simultaneously), it will be hard for you to invest time in a 4 Day Match (270 Overs), specially if you are type the one who takes time to grasp the game controls in the beginning..

Note: As for Team being formed based on 4 Day Match, does this really even matter????? A good player will of course adapt equally well in any circumstances, if not, he is not a good player at all..Moreover, no matter what ever is the attribute of the players, its actually you (The Managers), who have to play the games using this player, so Manager-A (Who has good control over the game) can make even an Amit Mishra bats much better than Sachin Tendulkar with Manager-B (Who is bad in playing the game)...

@valerian140 I know, that you know that I don't imply you are a Bad Player (Sachin is in your Team), that was just an example.. Anyway, how about playing an Online Game with me Tonight, let me know if you are interested..

Last edited:
Thanks @kushari. I see your point. You understand this better than I do because I haven't played the game yet.

I do think that because of the difficulty in batting, not every innings will last the average of 70 overs, which is good for the speed of the game. I'm not in favour of a T20 change at the last minute, especially after the auctions. This was always supposed to be a Ranji tournament and managers who signed up knew that it would require some time. Some of us have joined multiple leagues (you, me, brad, solomon), so we have to arrange our playing time accordingly.

But if we feel it gets too long then we can cut it down to a single innings test of 140 overs maximum, with the hope that teams get bowled out for much less. Since we have two weeks to finish these games versus 1 week for the t20 games, the difference in time spent over two weeks won't be much at all.

Let's start by playing a few practice overs with each other this weekend. I'm at home all weekend and will play DBC non stop if you guys want to join. :)

@Ishaan k do you have an estimate of when the teams will be ready?

Thanks @kushari. I see your point. You understand this better than I do because I haven't played the game yet.

I do think that because of the difficulty in batting, not every innings will last the average of 70 overs, which is good for the speed of the game. I'm not in favour of a T20 change at the last minute, especially after the auctions. This was always supposed to be a Ranji tournament and managers who signed up knew that it would require some time. Some of us have joined multiple leagues (you, me, brad, solomon), so we have to arrange our playing time accordingly.

But if we feel it gets too long then we can cut it down to a single innings test of 140 overs maximum, with the hope that teams get bowled out for much less. Since we have two weeks to finish these games versus 1 week for the t20 games, the difference in time spent over two weeks won't be much at all.

Let's start by playing a few practice overs with each other this weekend. I'm at home all weekend and will play DBC non stop if you guys want to join. :)

@Ishaan k do you have an estimate of when the teams will be ready?

sure buddy, I am ready to play anytime you want me to play.. But I would recommend you to play career mode a bit and other casual matches with AI before you play online match..But if you want I am ready..I have sent you and all other 08 Managers friend request through PSN..

I have been thinking over this for a couple days now. It's just a suggestion.

Like @arjwiz mentioned lets bring down the overs to 140, Lets keep it somewhere around 120-140overs (70 overs max for each team). They can decide on how to split their 70 overs (35-35 or 30-40 OR even less) In an innings the batting team can bat only upto a max of 40 overs, even if they get bowled out or declare after 20 overs in the first innings. They can even bat for 40 overs in the first innings and keep aside the final 30 overs to chase down and go for a draw. Its all upto the captains strategy. With this format I feel that the game can get more exciting and more involvement from both the sides. There are chances that the team who had fallen behind in the first innings can come back and win the match.

Let me know your thoughts. End of the day its the Admin Managers decision and all the members should support them.

Yes sure I like the idea of your T20 style league just for testing stuff. Let me know when you can be available for a game. I would be available in about 2 hours from now @kushari

Let me know your thoughts. End of the day its the Admin Managers decision and all the members should support them.

:) Thank you

Rest assured, any decision will take into account the best possible situation for everyone, including time involvement, basis of squad selection, maximising competition, maximising fun. As kushari said, we have to enjoy playing this tournament - it shouldn't be tedious at all.

I will think over it and discuss it with everyone later, once I myself have played the game offline and online. It will definitely not be a T20 or ODI. Let's decide and confirm the exact format of each match and of the tournament itself after a few weeks.

For now, as kushari said, let's focusing on practising playing the game and wait for our friend @Ishaan k to give us our teams :)

On another note, I asked this on the main forum but didn't get any response.

Does anyone know how CA normalises attributes and skills across different creators for players who are not on-disk? For instance, a player like Sachin or Amla will have on-disk counterparts, for whom BigAnt would have created stats and attributes (and Ishaan would download players of CA without overwriting their default skills and attributes). Similarly, for people not on disk that are created by one creator (let's say chandrakif), attributes and skills would follow a similar base. But what about players not on disk (for example, legends), who do not have common creators?

For instance, I noticed that Mohinder Amarnath's skills suggest that he is a pure batsman and that he cannot bowl at all. This is not actually true - Amarnath was a very good bowler.

Do you know how we counter this issue? Should we all let Ishaan modify stats (which is a cumbersome process) or is there a better solution?

----------

Yes sure I like the idea of your T20 style league just for testing stuff. Let me know when you can be available for a game. I would be available in about 2 hours from now @kushari

Yes, we can do warm up friendlies in any format - Five5, T20, test, whatever. They will not be organised by us and are therefore not part of the tournament. As soon as the teams are created, we can all set up friendlies, like kushari metioned.

Do you know how we counter this issue? Should we all let Ishaan modify stats (which is a cumbersome process) or is there a better solution?[/QUOTE]

I feel it will be too much for Ishaan to do all the work. Maybe once he creates the players, let the respective team managers put all the real life stats of players and then Ishaan cross checks it. This itself is time consuming as I have tried this before. I need to know how do we relink the players back in CA so that Ishaan can view it. SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES should only be taken care by Ishaan to avoid any discrepancies.

I feel it will be too much for Ishaan to do all the work. Maybe once he creates the players, let the respective team managers put all the real life stats of players and then Ishaan cross checks it. This itself is time consuming as I have tried this before. I need to know how do we relink the players back in CA so that Ishaan can view it. SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES should only be taken care by Ishaan to avoid any discrepancies.

Stats don't really matter, do they? It is only skills are attributes that do. Which I agree, Ishaan should do.

Firstly, we need to determine if this is a cause for concern only for non-linked players, or is this a problem also for players who have an on-disk counterpart?

Users who are viewing this thread