Really giving up with batting?!!

How perverse is this? Purely for testing out batting gameplay I played a 20 over casual match on amateur level....Durham v Leicestershire. Me as Durham bowled first and got the Foxes out for 42 in 8.4 overs. Durham batting....my openers reached the target in 7.4 overs. My conditions for batting were :-

* I played all shots only using the right stick.
* I didn't use any trigger or bumper modifiers.
* The batsman (a/I) generally played all balls correctly choosing front or back foot.
* All I had to do was choose when to take the runs.

Perversely.....this is probably the highest level that I could possibly have the time to choose foot position for the type of delivery....but there is no need to bother!......the a/I chooses this for you anyway. So I've been playing matches at this level....You can override the a/I...but why bother. :facepalm

I thought I'll bump my training up a bit by playing a casual test match on veteran with me playing RSA all-time-best against Australia all-time-best. I survived quite OK against the fast bowlers, trying to play each ball on merit, but very defensively (blocking and leaving unless I'm really comfortable that I have a good chance of playing a safe shot). I really enjoy the seam and swing and more than once I played and missed at balls from Glenn Mcgrath that seamed out. When I did play a shot, the shot executed also seemed to me to be more reflective of the shot I had in mind compared to on the lower difficulty levels where you are being assisted (well, it can always just be my imagination). But, then Shane Warne came on :eek:, and to be honest, I couldn't even manage to effectively block the ball because I didn't pick him and he ran through my team like I wasn't even trying. I loved the way the ball drifted, dipped and spun, but I honestly don't think I will ever be good enough in this game to be able to play Shane Warne... just call me Daryll from now on :p Is there any way to read which type of delivery a spinner is bowling?

Last edited:
Does anyone else find it harder with left handed batsmen? I think part of my problem is with the left handers if I try to turn it away on the legside, on occasions the batsman seems to try and execute a 'leave' and the ball just drifts onto the stumps or its LBW. Could be me of course but from what I can see you have to press R3 to do a leave and I'm sure I'm not doing that.

There must be something I am not getting but I give up! Batting for me is nigh on impossible, I made a 50 ONCE and I have tried and tried and tried. I even ditched the PS3 bought a 360 because I was blaming it on the controller. With that said I am gonna park this game for a while or until something is done about the batting, it is not fun it just feels like an absolute grindfest like trying to level up in an MMORPG without quests.

I find batting to be better in my second year. Still getting out for those occasional low scores from slips but feels much better to bat now. I stick to the bread and butter shots though. Probably have been averaging around 40 over the last few games.

----------

[/COLOR]
I thought I'll bump my training up a bit by playing a casual test match on veteran with me playing RSA all-time-best against Australia all-time-best. I survived quite OK against the fast bowlers, trying to play each ball on merit, but very defensively (blocking and leaving unless I'm really comfortable that I have a good chance of playing a safe shot). I really enjoy the seam and swing and more than once I played and missed at balls from Glenn Mcgrath that seamed out. When I did play a shot, the shot executed also seemed to me to be more reflective of the shot I had in mind compared to on the lower difficulty levels where you are being assisted (well, it can always just be my imagination). But, then Shane Warne came on :eek:, and to be honest, I couldn't even manage to effectively block the ball because I didn't pick him and he ran through my team like I wasn't even trying. I loved the way the ball drifted, dipped and spun, but I honestly don't think I will ever be good enough in this game to be able to play Shane Warne... just call me Daryll from now on :p Is there any way to read which type of delivery a spinner is bowling?

If you read the manual (yes the manual haha) it says you can look at the green circle to tell which line the ball will pitch on. There is enough time to read that with a spin bowler so just pay attention to the pattern of the circle and play on the line of the ball.

Are you playing in career mode?,the first seasons are really tough and you have to grind out everything. Early on I was grinding out tens off thirty off balls by only playing bad balls etc and blocking everything else until my confidence was up. Near the end of season two its still tough but I'm getting out for 30 odd most of the the now and scoring at a run a ball. If you're getting sick of.grinding exit career mode play a few t20is and satisfy the urge to smash it all over the show

If you read the manual (yes the manual haha) it says you can look at the green circle to tell which line the ball will pitch on. There is enough time to read that with a spin bowler so just pay attention to the pattern of the circle and play on the line of the ball.

Thanks, but that is not what I am referring to. I asked what "type" of delivery the spin bowler is bowling not the length ;). You very seldom need to play on the back-foot against spin, if ever - is that perhaps something that needs to be fixed in a patch? Playing against Shane Warne (the one I downloaded along with all of the updated teams when the patch came out) on veteran, it appears that he bowls more googlies than normal leg-spin deliveries. I'm beginning to pick up from the flight of the delivery if it will be a leg-spin or googly, but seeing as you can't make out much from his pixelated hand and arm at delivery, it would be nice if there is some other indication of which direction the ball will be spinning. So, my question still remains, is there any way to know the type of delivery the spin bowler is bowling other than just picking it up from the flight and direction?

On an aside, I have also noticed that it is much easier to keep the ball on the ground on veteran, but it is also much harder to actually get any power into the shot. The most I have made with a player (Shawn Pollock) was around 20 from 50 deliveries and only towards the end was he beginning to hit the shots with more power. It does appear though that if you choose the correct foot placement and an appropriate shot for the ball being delivered along with good timing, then you have a better chance of getting power into the shot.

Back to spin, a few times it has happened when I tried to play a front-foot leg glance or in other words a straight-bat shot aimed at mid-on or fine-leg, that the batsman then for some or other reason goes onto his back-foot and tries to do some sort of a pull. If somebody else can confirm this, I would suggest that it is also something that needs to be looked at for the patch.

Thanks, but that is not what I am referring to. I asked what "type" of delivery the spin bowler is bowling not the length ;). You very seldom need to play on the back-foot against spin, if ever - is that perhaps something that needs to be fixed in a patch? Playing against Shane Warne (the one I downloaded along with all of the updated teams when the patch came out) on veteran, it appears that he bowls more googlies than normal leg-spin deliveries. I'm beginning to pick up from the flight of the delivery if it will be a leg-spin or googly, but seeing as you can't make out much from his pixelated hand and arm at delivery, it would be nice if there is some other indication of which direction the ball will be spinning. So, my question still remains, is there any way to know the type of delivery the spin bowler is bowling other than just picking it up from the flight and direction?

On an aside, I have also noticed that it is much easier to keep the ball on the ground on veteran, but it is also much harder to actually get any power into the shot. The most I have made with a player (Shawn Pollock) was around 20 from 50 deliveries and only towards the end was he beginning to hit the shots with more power. It does appear though that if you choose the correct foot placement and an appropriate shot for the ball being delivered along with good timing, then you have a better chance of getting power into the shot.

Back to spin, a few times it has happened when I tried to play a front-foot leg glance or in other words a straight-bat shot aimed at mid-on or fine-leg, that the batsman then for some or other reason goes onto his back-foot and tries to do some sort of a pull. If somebody else can confirm this, I would suggest that it is also something that needs to be looked at for the patch.

Yeah you would be able to tell the spin as well. The indicator tells you which stump the ball will be headed towards so you just need to wait until the ball pitches then play any front foot shot. Ex. If the indicator says leg stump and the ball pitches around off you know its a googly. It helps with drrift as well. I doubt there is any other way to know the type of delivery being bowled.

Yeah you would be able to tell the spin as well. The indicator tells you which stump the ball will be headed towards so you just need to wait until the ball pitches then play any front foot shot. Ex. If the indicator says leg stump and the ball pitches around off you know its a googly. It helps with drrift as well. I doubt there is any other way to know the type of delivery being bowled.

Thanks, I haven't thought about it that way. I will take a look when I get a chance again. If that is the case, facing spin bowling should become much more reasonable.

How perverse is this? Purely for testing out batting gameplay I played a 20 over casual match on amateur level....Durham v Leicestershire. Me as Durham bowled first and got the Foxes out for 42 in 8.4 overs. Durham batting....my openers reached the target in 7.4 overs. My conditions for batting were :-

* I played all shots only using the right stick.
* I didn't use any trigger or bumper modifiers.
* The batsman (a/I) generally played all balls correctly choosing front or back foot.
* All I had to do was choose when to take the runs.

Perversely.....this is probably the highest level that I could possibly have the time to choose foot position for the type of delivery....but there is no need to bother!......the a/I chooses this for you anyway. So I've been playing matches at this level....You can override the a/I...but why bother. :facepalm

I think I must be missing the point of your post.

why is it perverse? You put it on easy mode and its easy. What are you surprised about?

I don't have a problem with spin when I play straight down the ground or defensive, but the problem is with the field settings is you will play two scoring shots there and then you will have a mid on, wide mid on, mid off, wide mid off and a long off and long on in place thus stopping any chance of scoring. I cant just block and play out the spinners the whole time I have to score, and that is where I start getting out

I think I must be missing the point of your post.

why is it perverse? You put it on easy mode and its easy. What are you surprised about?

It's on amateur mode...not easy mode. Maybe I just wanted to discuss or debate the limitations afforded to the (human) player regarding choice of footwork and shots.

There must be something I am not getting but I give up! Batting for me is nigh on impossible, I made a 50 ONCE and I have tried and tried and tried. I even ditched the PS3 bought a 360 because I was blaming it on the controller. With that said I am gonna park this game for a while or until something is done about the batting, it is not fun it just feels like an absolute grindfest like trying to level up in an MMORPG without quests.

Son of Bill Gates?

Batting

I really find batting on the backfoot hard,especially online,keep thinking i am gonna be bowled so i am always on the front foot.:facepalm

I really find batting on the backfoot hard,especially online,keep thinking i am gonna be bowled so i am always on the front foot.:facepalm

Especially cross bat shots like the cut, a lot of times I get an edge, and the problem that is where there is wide open spaces in the field

Users who are viewing this thread