Really giving up with batting?!!

you might want to try invert the batting controls, somewhere in the options. It all depends on what camera you are using as well.

I find sometimes i want to cut and it drives, I think its just where you are putting the controller, if you miss the direction it is just a totally different shot.

for spinners i just sweep/reverse sweep and block. No drives and nothing fancy at all. For pace I start by blocking and only clipping it off my pads if its down leg until they plug that gap. Then there is normally free space on the off side or straight and I try hit that gap when I can. Cut is my favorite shot though it is awful when you pick the yorker to do it.

Putting my silliness to one side, I'm actually certain that it's a case where I haven't pushed the sticks where I thought I've pushed the sticks - and that they get rolled around to where I wanted them before I check.

Which is why, like blockerdave, I really want some feedback when batting.

I've started sweeping the spinners, but it makes me feel dirty. It's an ugly shot, and offends my delicate sensibilities.

I started sweeping but now I have started usung a shammy cloth on spinners and that really upsets them.....

I started sweeping but now I have started usung a shammy cloth on spinners and that really upsets them.....

You're doing it wrong...

ManSweeping.gif

I've started sweeping the spinners, but it makes me feel dirty. It's an ugly shot, and offends my delicate sensibilities.

i can only sweep if they take out short leg, otherwise i hit him every damn time.

hit him a couple of times with full blooded hooks too... wouldn't mind if there was an injury animation... nah, he just shrugs it off. once he even caught me like it was nothing. tosser.

i can only sweep if they take out short leg, otherwise i hit him every damn time.

hit him a couple of times with full blooded hooks too... wouldn't mind if there was an injury animation... nah, he just shrugs it off. once he even caught me like it was nothing. tosser.

Isn't short leg cockney not-rhyming slang for "target practise"?

Batting

I might be missing something here,but how can you tell as a batsman what kind of delivery is coming next,ie short,good length or yorker?.
I know what the response will probably be but in ashes 2009 the bowling marker would let you know.
I know real cricket isnt like that but not knowing is making me play on the front foot constantly.

I might be missing something here,but how can you tell as a batsman what kind of delivery is coming next,ie short,good length or yorker?.
I know what the response will probably be but in ashes 2009 the bowling marker would let you know.
I know real cricket isnt like that but not knowing is making me play on the front foot constantly.

red is short
green good
yellow full

the shape of the circle will give you an indication of line: left hand circle = on leg etcetera....

with practice you can judge each ball....takes practice and patience and waiting for the ball...wait, wait wait....

I can only speak to Pro difficulty (I think it might disappear on the harder levels?) but there's a coloured circle around the ball as it's delivered.

If the circle is Green, the ball is a "good" length. Yellow is full, Red is short.

Note that there is some variation within this, however - a good length ball can actually be a little shorter or fuller.

As to how you can tell before it's delivered, as in the old-school games with a pitch marker: you can't. And long may it stay that way :P

*edit* Ninja'd

Batting

But when you are playing online i find it really hard to see the colour of the circle,especially when there is lag.

After an earlier post on what has worked for me to improve my batting, I have learned some new things that has helped me improve further. After you have played your shot, keep the sticks in position for a bit before you start your next action e.g. run. In other words, don't flick the right stick. Keeping the sticks in position, the batsman seem to "follow through" on his shot and I believe that he is timing his shots better and keeping them down.

I am also struggling with spin, pretty much got the hold of swing, fast and even slow medium bowling on veteran mode, but pretty much struggle with spin bowling, it is really difficult to play, almost an art to play shane warne ect like it was probably in real life

I've realised if you new to cricket games you will take a good while or even never get use to batting on higher than pro and will never like batting in general. And in career mode you will brake your controllers regularly haha :)

I'm in my 1st year about 10 games into my career and I have shocking averages for my 1st couple of games . It's hard!

But like everything else if u put the hours in and play wisely you find batting awesome and realistic. I love the fact that it's so hard to get a half century. What a reward when u actually do.

This is the 1st cricket game ever that's been a challenge for me.

Can't wait for Patch 2.

This is the greatest cricket game ever!

ye it is really challenging and that's how a cricket game should be, or for me any sport game because you quickly get to master games especially all the rugby and cricket games that has been released since the 2000's until now, and even before that if I can think of Jonty Rhodes and Brian Lara Cricket etc.
I am still between a rock and a hard place to decide which one is best for me, Brian Lara 99 or DB 14

problem is, as noted above a timing metre doesn't really work, since you can legitimately play "late" and this doesn't equate to bad. (i think it applies less to early). so what is really ideal can't be computed until you have played the shot.

it's not a metre we need, rather a feedback mechanism. so my idea would be you've played a shot and you see the direction you played both LAS and RAS, and a colour-code on RAS for timing.

so maybe you got bowled around your legs, and you see you moved LAS wrong, you were caught and bowled on your cover drive and you see you played early and moved RAS too straight. at the same time, your cut down to third man shows colour code late, but you know this is exactly what you wanted, because you wanted it behind square.

Nah, we don't need it. Its not hard to work out whether you've timed the shot or not. Thats the beauty of cricket. How many times have we seen good batsmen mishit and still get the ball to the boundary? It happens. All you can do is learn from it - thats what I do. IRL, you don't have a batting meter - you just have you to decide whether you've done well or not.

You won't always get the same ball in the same spot every time. Someone posted on here that early shot = raised, late shot = ground and it works. Quite a few times I've done a late leg glance and just seen the ball dribble to fine leg which is what you'd expect it should do.

So...I say, leave it out. Want to get better? Hit the nets (thats what I do). What we SHOULD be asking for is to be able to use OUR career batsman in the nets, not 99 rated Sir Don Bradman. If my late cuts are slow because my players' skills are low...then let me practice how early I need to play the shot. Maybe if we had this as an option (in the career menu screen instead of 'Play next game'), that would relieve some angst re batting.

You do need to see timing as feedback as the feedback coz I've no idea when I edge behind against spinners whether I played late or early. In real life you know whether you are late on the shot or early, but it's not easy to do so in a video game.

I would suggest a feedback mechanism which is a combination of timing and footwork after a shot is played. It can be an optional feedback mechanism so that those guys who don't want to get this info in a match don't get to see it.

@blockerdave regarding there may not be an "ideal" time for a shot and late or early may be the way to go... it would still be helpful to view the timing as based on the outcome of the shot and the timing you would know that the shot you played was late and since it went along the ground for boundary, it was the right shot for the delivery. Plus you will get to know that in case you want to hit an ideal shot against a delivery with the same pace, you will need to be a bit early.

Users who are viewing this thread