Really giving up with batting?!!

ellgieff

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Especially cross bat shots like the cut, a lot of times I get an edge, and the problem that is where there is wide open spaces in the field

I think (on my 2nd career, just got into the 2nd year) that I'm finally getting a bit of a handle on batting. It's practise, and patience, just like real cricket.

Of course now that my 17 year-old who can be counted on to get 20 odd is such a threat, Surrey decided to have 4 men behind square, and their bowler bodylined it at me.

It was kind of hilarious, but mostly really fire-trucking frustrating.

*edit: added* And now I've got the yips. I appear to be completely unable to play any stroke except step to on, block to off. This doesn't work out all that well.

Except when it's a fuller ball on middle, then I can only manage to walk in front of my stumps and leave it.

*sigh* I hate this game, and I can't wait to play it again.

Last edited:

Haynes123

Club Captain
I think (on my 2nd career, just got into the 2nd year) that I'm finally getting a bit of a handle on batting. It's practise, and patience, just like real cricket.

Of course now that my 17 year-old who can be counted on to get 20 odd is such a threat, Surrey decided to have 4 men behind square, and their bowler bodylined it at me.

It was kind of hilarious, but mostly really fire-trucking frustrating.

*edit: added* And now I've got the yips. I appear to be completely unable to play any stroke except step to on, block to off. This doesn't work out all that well.

Except when it's a fuller ball on middle, then I can only manage to walk in front of my stumps and leave it.

*sigh* I hate this game, and I can't wait to play it again.

Lol, ye also sometimes hate it but cant get enough of it! I am alright with the batting, the first few games it was strange, but now its easier. My biggest problem or weak point is patience especially with spin, I get impatient and then gets out, maybe its because I have limited time to play this and when I was younger I had much more time on my hands. But as you say its like real cricket and patience and time will help, this is why this game is so defining for me because it is challenging and not easy to master

Going to put this game on a back burner. Play something else and maybe come back to DB14 later on. Batting is just so unrewarding for me. No point in playing defensive shots.... may as well just swing the bat on a front foot shot and see what happens. Plus other issues that have been discussed over the past month or so (warp speed fielders... keepers need to whip of the bails at nearly every opportunity). Now then.....where are my Champion Jockey and Farming Simulator games?

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
I'm not finding the batting that difficult. Playing on Pro, and find that just posting on the front foot and watching the ball closely does the trick. I get the large majority of my runs on the leg-side, especially with the leg-glance. I also try and get right across my stumps. I'm pretty confident that anything straight I'll be able to whip through the leg-side, so it's then just making the most of the ones outside off, and defending when necessary. The running between the wickets is posing me more issues than the actual batting!

I'm not finding the batting that difficult. Playing on Pro, and find that just posting on the front foot and watching the ball closely does the trick. I get the large majority of my runs on the leg-side, especially with the leg-glance. I also try and get right across my stumps. I'm pretty confident that anything straight I'll be able to whip through the leg-side, so it's then just making the most of the ones outside off, and defending when necessary. The running between the wickets is posing me more issues than the actual batting!

Ironically, I've got the running between the wickets down to a fine art!! Call for run... hit the sprint trigger...get ready to hit the 'dive for crease' button. :yes
It's the batting that I suck at!

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
It's the defending I suck at :D
Playing a defensive shot (adjusting rather than premeditating) usually results in me getting out!

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Yeah, to be fair, defending has got me out a few times. Once edging behind, and I just got out to Sidearse trying to defend, hit my pad and rolled onto the stumps. Pretty annoying.

D

Dutch

Footwork and keeping a straight bat to the angle of the ball is crucial in defending, as in real life.....

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I haven't played it in about 2 weeks now, got fed up of either getting out for 12 or getting 15 wickets a match for about 20 runs.

batting's so hard that not even the AI can do it.

Frostyvegi

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I finally got up the nerve to play a cut shot.. so far I think I'm 3 for 3 playing against the spin with a nice open field in that area. Felt really nice doing it. Also with my pure batsman got quite a few shots forward of mid square leg playing a not-so-late late on side drive. Getting the timing right is key, but yes, it appears you need a decent batsman to give you enough of a timin window to pull it off. I still fine leg glance a few when I intend on playing this shot just due to the lateness and the length down leg that the delivery is going, fortunately everything has been keeping low and not being touched by the keeper.

The_Pharoah

International Coach
I finally got up the nerve to play a cut shot.. so far I think I'm 3 for 3 playing against the spin with a nice open field in that area. Felt really nice doing it. Also with my pure batsman got quite a few shots forward of mid square leg playing a not-so-late late on side drive. Getting the timing right is key, but yes, it appears you need a decent batsman to give you enough of a timin window to pull it off. I still fine leg glance a few when I intend on playing this shot just due to the lateness and the length down leg that the delivery is going, fortunately everything has been keeping low and not being touched by the keeper.

I've tried the cutshot to a spinner twice without any issues so far. The early leg glance through mid wicket (for want of a better title for the shot) is one of my favs and usually gets me easy runs). My fav shot now is the late cut through 3rd man. I used to hate how the AI would never have slips and would therefore pack the on/off side fields making it harder to score until I got the nerve to do the front foot late cut (LAS = up, RAS = down) and realised there's easy runs there. Not just that though...score through 3rd man, and suddenly the AI usually puts 2 or sometimes 3 fielders in that area! lol.

topanaris

School Cricketer
I haven't played it in about 2 weeks now, got fed up of either getting out for 12 or getting 15 wickets a match for about 20 runs.

Yeah I feel your pain. I am not normally a big gamer. But I really dont believe batting should be like this so I stopped playing and moved on to something else - which blows because this is the only reason I got a PS3 in the first place - which then ended up in me buying a 360 as I started blaming the PS3 controller, so I ended up buying the game twice.

I am not enjoying the game it just feels like a grind trying to bat, I dont care what anyone says but this whole "if you dont time the ball 100% on the leg side you will get caught philosophy" is really farcical. On the flip side I bought and started playing some other stuff, which I am enjoying - just finished Batman Arkham Origins.....

When patch 2 releases I will try again.

I've been watching some gameplay on youtube and someone has loads of time to choose what shots he wants to play....fasties included. Playing some tasty shots relevant to delivery. Have they just reduced bowling stats for opposition team? If this is so, then I would be willing to try that and get back into the game.

Helpman

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I've also given up playing this game for a while. After owning it for over a month now, I find my batting is getting worse and worse. It is impossible to bat as one should and enjoy the game as it is. Don't get me wrong, I love a challenge and I've been playing cricket games for some 15 years now but this just isn't much fun...

Facing a seam bowler is a lottery. The little amount of time you have to decide front/back foot, the direction of front/back foot and then the general direction of the stroke to play, means one has to premeditate shots on a pre-decided foot placement but then even that doesn't help much.

Facing spin is an absolute nightmare (there is literally no margin for error). I could go on and on about how impossibly hard, frustrating and soul destroying a gaming experience this is but then I'm sure you've all heard it before.

Waiting in hope that patch #2 fixes lots of these problems.

CaptainOZ

Panel of Selectors

I've also given up playing this game for a while. After owning it for over a month now, I find my batting is getting worse and worse. It is impossible to bat as one should and enjoy the game as it is. Don't get me wrong, I love a challenge and I've been playing cricket games for some 15 years now but this just isn't much fun...

Facing a seam bowler is a lottery. The little amount of time you have to decide front/back foot, the direction of front/back foot and then the general direction of the stroke to play, means one has to premeditate shots on a pre-decided foot placement but then even that doesn't help much.

Facing spin is an absolute nightmare (there is literally no margin for error). I could go on and on about how impossibly hard, frustrating and soul destroying a gaming experience this is but then I'm sure you've all heard it before.

Waiting in hope that patch #2 fixes lots of these problems.

Agreed. I come to these forums once every few days to see if the game is fixed.

You have to make the game more accessible to the everyday person. Providing 0.01 seconds notice within which to play a cricket shot may be real life to a real batsman in a real situation, but how many humans are skilled cricketers?

I still think an amateur setting in career mode is a step in the right direction, at least for now, until you can get the batting reaction time fixed up or provide more options to see and judge a delivery to play the appropriate shot.

Users who are viewing this thread