Richie Benaud XI Draft

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
No for Bradman. Just want to clarify, don't know if it has been posted earlier. What are the stats that will be taken into account? Which format? :(

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Richie Benaud XI Draft

Round 1 (Fast Bowlers)

49907.jpg

Malcolm Marshall​

Arguably the best of West Indies' quick bowlers of the golden era and perhaps the greatest fast bowler of his time. Exceptional control, ability to out think the opposition batsmen, make him a true Legend! Amazing average of 20.94 and brilliant strike rate of 46.7 just add to that.

81 Tests, 151 Inns, 376 Wkts @ 20.94, S/R 46.7

018272.jpg

Wasim Akram​

Arguably the best left arm fast bowler of all time. The king of swing, he is known as. His amazing control over the ball, ability to swing it both ways and trouble the opposition batsmen at will prove that.

104 Tests, 181 Inns, 414 Wkts @ 23.62, S/R 54.6​

User's XI -

10. Wasim Akram
11. Malcolm Marshall

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
That's a nice start. Marshall is a champ, wish I'd seen more of him. Wasim...hmm, not so big a fan, but he was pretty decent I guess :rolleyes. Massive talent, imagine what he'd have done with a bit more patience and less no-balls :eek:

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Sifter, I wanted a left and right opening bowling combination. There's a 2 left arm players' requirement, so that adds to it. There were a lot of other tempting options though. :p

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
^Ah of course. Probably a good time to get a leftie since there probably isn't much of a gap between Akram and the other righties, as compared to other places where it might be hard to find a great leftie eg. opening batsmen. All depends where you pick in the rounds too I guess.

And are we going with 24 hour time limits? Because if so, I think cricket icon's time is up.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
^Ah of course. Probably a good time to get a leftie since there probably isn't much of a gap between Akram and the other righties, as compared to other places where it might be hard to find a great leftie eg. opening batsmen. All depends where you pick in the rounds too I guess.

And are we going with 24 hour time limits? Because if so, I think cricket icon's time is up.

Yep, it's Zorax's turn now.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Any match/wicket limit?

Check first post for all rules.

Also, guys, we can do the other rounds simultaneously. For example, I can start the Openers round because I am first in that.

Last edited:

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Online Cricket Games Owned
Glenn McGrath and Curtly Ambrose

Nagging accuracy and penetration from one end, hostile pace and aggression from the other.

Ambrose begins with the new ball. Gliding up to the wicket, breathing fire, releasing his thunderbolts from about 10 feet high. Working the batsmen over, with sharp pace, bounce, and the subtle seam movement.

While they're hopping and fending off Ambrose, McGrath puts his own plans into action from the other end. Probing away, line and length, working out the chinks in the batsmen's defence before going for the kill. It's not about the pace for Glenn, it's the accuracy, bounce, and slight movement in the air and off the pitch that does the trick.

Ambrose softens them up, Glenn goes in for the kill.

Coming back for their second spells, the roles are reversed. Ambrose cuts down on his pace and shows the keen cricketing mind that lies underneath. The bounce is still there, coupled with accuracy and seam movement, with the odd rip snorter thrown in for good effect. Meanwhile Glenn bowls to his field, flawlessly, squeezing the runs, choking the batsmen, not letting the scoreboard tick over. Ambrose does the hunting while Glenn builds the pressure.

Some might say this pair won't work in swinging conditions -even though McGrath could find some swing when he pitched it up- they both between them have the timeless attributes of pace, accuracy, bounce and stamina. Hostile and intelligent, aggressive and controlled, definitely will be a good pair of quicks to have in a side.

EDIT: I may have over-emphasized Ambrose's pace here. He wasn't out-and-out pace, but fairly quick and faster than McGrath. Need a better word for Thunderbolts.

Last edited:

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Ambrose, he was the temptation!

And, Shravi I think we can do that we start only the next round simultaneously. Or the things might get odd. Actually, I will just leave it one round at one time. I mean there are only 5 of us. Shouldn't be too long to finish off a round.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
105740.jpg

Imran Khan once said that you judge a player on the strength of his opponents. In Sunil Gavaskar's time, West Indies were blessed with one of, if not the, strongest teams in cricketing history. He came up against 4 of the greatest fast bowlers to have graced the game, and didn't fall short. In fact, he triumphed where countless others failed and showed that even the meanest, fastest and deadliest bowlers could be dealt with. All it took was a little bit of grit, determination and of course a little bit of skill. Standing at just 5'6", Gavaskar came onto the scene in West Indies. He was an instant success. He became the second player after Doug Walters to score a century and double century in the same match. He also became the first Indian to make four centuries in one Test series, the second Indian after Vijay Hazare to score two centuries in the same Test, and the third after Hazare and Polly Umrigar to score centuries in three consecutive innings. He was the first Indian to aggregate more than 700 runs in a series, and this 774 runs at 154.80 remains the most runs scored in a debut series by any batsman. It was a defining moment in Indian cricketing history. Here was an Indian batsman that could finally take it to these frightening West Indian fast bowlers. Small in stature, but never lacking in confidence, Gavaskar laid the platform for other Indian batsmen- Shastri, Amarnath, Tendulkar, Dravid- giving Indian batsmen the confidence that they they too could tackle pace and bounce.

Sunil Gavaskar's defence was impenetrable and his technique was near immaculate. He holds the record for the 2nd highest number of centuries against a single nation- 13 against West Indies. The great Don of course, is first. Gavaskar could bat for long periods of time and unlike many batsman, he was just as good if not better in the 2nd innings as well- averaging 58. In fact has the 2nd best average in the 4th innings (Boycott is first) in the history of test cricket. In an era where India lost more tests than they won, this is perhaps representative of how Gavaskar could succeed where all others in his team failed, carrying the team on his shoulders. However, one player can only do so much and he can't always lead the team to victory single handedly. Gavaskar has scored the most runs in drawn test matches. He has saved India from defeat on countless occasions, which is a testament to his grit and perseverance. Sunil Gavaskar was the first to get 10,000 Test runs and 30 centuries. In 125 matches (214 innings) he scored 10122 runs at an average of 51 with 34 centuries and 45 fifties.

100132.jpg

Alongside Gavaskar is the great Sir Jack Hobbs, cricket's most prolific batsman who scored 100 first class centuries after he turned 40. He is also the oldest player to score a test century (46), proving that age is no barrier to him. Just as WG Grace, Hobbs was a pioneer and an inspiration to generations after. Unlike many other batsman of his time, Hobbs was equally proficient on sticky wickets which is perhaps one of the truest tests of a batsman's ability. Nobody has scored more first-class runs than his 61,760, or more hundreds than his 199. He was Wisden Cricketer of the Year 1909 and 1926. He was also selected as one of five Wisden cricketers of the century, 2000. In 61 tests (102 innings) he scored 5410 runs at an average of 57 with 15 centuries and 28 fifties.

There's my stodgy opening pair.

51295.jpg

Now, onto fast bowlers. One of only four players to feature in all three of Bradman's All Time World XI, Benaud's All Time World XI and ESPNCricinfo's All Time World XI, Dennis Lillee is widely regarded as one of, if not the, greatest fast bowler of all time. He was the complete fast bowler and truly mastered his trade as no other has. Just as I said of Gavaskar, Lillee was superb against the best in the business. In December 1971 he decimated a powerful World XI side in Perth, taking 8 for 29 in the first innings. He took the wickets of he took the wickets of Gavaskar, Engineer, Llloyd, Greig, Sobers, Hutton, Alam and Cunis- all in one innings! He went on to claim 31 Test wickets at 17.67 during the 1972 Ashes tour. Unfortunately, he soon broke down with stress fractures. Many thought this was the end of Lillee's career. However, Lilee came back stronger than ever after rigorous and intensive physiotherapy and with a remodeled action. He didn't have the same pace but he outwitted batsmen with variations in length, pace and movement.

Lillee was also famous for his partnership with wicketkeeper Rod Marsh, and the scorecard entry 'c Marsh b Lillee' appeared 95 times in Tests, a partnership record between wicketkeeper and bowler that is yet to be broken.In 70 tests (132 innings) he took 355 wickets at an average of 23.92 at an economy rate of 2.75 and at a strike rate of 52. He took 23 four-fors, 23 five-fors and took 10 wickets in a match on 7 occasions.

023865.jpg

While pre-stress fracture Lillee is bowling fast and blowing fire from one end, at the other end I have White Lightning, Allan Donald. Donald was as his name suggests, lightning quick and struck fear into the hearts of the best of batsman. He could bowl on any pitch as shown by his average in the low 20s in India and Sri Lanka, considered to be two of the toughest places for a fast bowler to bowl. He is widely considered, South Africa's only truly great bowler until Shaun Pollock and Dale Steyn and often carried South Africa's bowling attack on his shoulders. In fact, he first bowler from his country to take 300 Test wickets. He reached the top of the ICC Test rankings in 1998 and peaked with a top ICC ranking of 895 points the next, thus proving that he was in his time, one of the best bowlers in the world. In 72 tests (129 innings), Donald took 330 wickets at an average of 22 at a startling strike rate of 47 with 11 four-fors, 20 five-fors. He also took 10 wickets in a match on 3 occasions.

Truly a terrifying combination of two of the greatest fast bowlers to have graced the game. Why did I pick Donald over one of the great West Indian quicks or Wasim's partner, you ask? Well, Donald not only spearheaded his attack, but pretty much was the attack of South Africa while the other guys had some support. I'm not saying they're not just as good, but that ability to put your hand up when no one else is willing or able to is something special.

Lol, didn't see your post User. I already made my picks anyway.

Sir Jack Hobbs
Sunil Gavaskar
Dennis Lillee
Allan Donald

Last edited:

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
What are we going to do with cricket icon. Replace? I think we need 5, maybe even 6 - otherwise the teams are going to look too good :p Yudi said he was keen so he might step in. Anyway, I'll leave my fast bowlers picks until someone else arrives, they can go before me. There are plenty of good quicks to pick from...

Ambrose softens them up, Glenn goes in for the kill.

Or the other way round :D Either way there wouldn't be a lot of buffet bowling with these guys in tandem. It would be asking questions all the time - I'd hate to be facing them.

And, Shravi I think we can do that we start only the next round simultaneously. Or the things might get odd. Actually, I will just leave it one round at one time. I mean there are only 5 of us. Shouldn't be too long to finish off a round.

Yeah I kinda agree. I could make 6 picks here - that's more than half my team. And if user posted his #3 I could make 7. That spoils the fun a little bit in my view because with only a little bit of speculation I basically know how my XI will look already - that takes away a bit of that pick by pick planning that I enjoy.

Anyway...I'll definitely make my all-rounder picks now. Cricket icon or replacement can pick their fast bowlers before me, and I'll pick my openers sometime in the future - after I make up my mind...:D

Sir Garfield Sobers
garfield_sobers.jpg
Sir_Garfield_Sobers_6.jpg

Well despite by skepticism of his unquestioned awesomeness in the greatest all-rounder (and other) threads , Sobers still comes out as cricket's best ever all-rounder in my reckoning. Although I personally don't think he's that far in front of his competition. The main thing to note about Sobers is that he was an all-time great even if he'd never bowled a ball because his batting was brilliant and often dominating. During most of his career he was the clear #1 batsman in the world, known for his ability to pick up the ball early and for his outstanding footwork.

And of course he could roll his arm over too, starting as a spinner before switching to seam up. Doesn't have a great attacking bowling record, but he was quite effective as a workhorse type - a perfect 5th bowler in my XI to step in and fill any holes that need filling. Sobers was also was excellent in the field too, mainly as a catcher, but he was a great athlete in the outfield too when required.

Tests: 93
Runs: 8032
Average: 57.78
Wickets: 235
Average: 34.03

Without sounding too disparaging of the great man, he was only a lock for this pick because of 2 factors - 1) he's a leftie, so that's one out of the way, and 2) he can bowl spin unlike most all-rounders, giving more balance to my bowling attack. Oh and also because everyone else would want him :p

Imran Khan
3781239584_b8d795e770.jpg
khan_236686s.jpg

Much like Sobers, Imran could be discussed for an all-time team even if he batted like Glenn McGrath because his bowling was that good. Imran started out trying to bowl as fast as he could before becoming a smarter, more complete bowler as his career matured and as injuries hit. His peak was during the 80s where his batting finally started to catch up to his bowling. In the 9 years between Jan 1980 and Dec 1988, Imran played 48 Tests and averaged 39.76 with bat and 17.77 with ball - a fantastic peak to his career where he showed it's possible to excel with both bat and ball at once.

Tests: 88
Runs: 3807
Average: 37.69
Wickets: 362
Average: 22.81

Imran is my #7 and captain - I don't care who else joins the team, Imran is captain.

6 Sir Garfield Sobers
7 Imran Khan (c)

Last edited:

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
He is an all rounder though sifter. You can't pick him as a bowler. He averages more than 25 with the bat, nearing on 30 in fact. I thought we had agreed to that in the rules. Even Richie agrees with me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread