Rugby 08: The USA Eagles Resurrection - Set to return?

another poor game for me i really need to lift

It doesn't necessarily mean you had a poor game if you weren't mentioned. If you're not mentioned it means you didn't see the ball much, or you didn't see the ball in events such as a try. It's hard to comment on everyone and what they're doing, but I try my best.

That's why I suggested the idea of a video, as people will be more satisfied with it as they got to see themselves play whether in attack or defence. Whereas with text, it's difficult, especially when it's a sport like rugby. Forwards especially don't get mentioned much.

It's also why I do player ratings and comments after the match, so everyone knows how they played, and if they played well, even if I don't write it during the match.

Last edited:
Player ratings and comments for each is all that is needed mate,

dont worry about videos , and stop worrying your story is AMAZING :)

It doesn't necessarily mean you had a poor game if you weren't mentioned. If you're not mentioned it means you didn't see the ball much, or you didn't see the ball in events such as a try. It's hard to comment on everyone and what they're doing, but I try my best.

That's why I suggested the idea of a video, as people will be more satisfied with it as they got to see themselves play whether in attack or defence. Whereas with text, it's difficult, especially when it's a sport like rugby. Forwards especially don't get mentioned much.

It's also why I do player ratings and comments after the match, so everyone knows how they played, and if they played well, even if I don't write it during the match.

i know you try ur best mate. ur pres is awesome kutgw

versus.gif

Welcome back, where the score is 21-17 to the visitors, with two minutes to go. A drop goal won't do it, Tonga need a try. We have secured rights for full commentary of the last vital minutes.

77:45 - At the kick off, Gutterman makes a long kick into the 22 of Tonga. Caught nicely by Mertons. He makes a short run before he is tackled by Mangan on the 22 metre line. At the ruck now, fullback Vek'u passes to his left to Halo. He gives a no look pass over to his left to Te'ifuto. He passes it further left to centre Ngasmo, who finds a gap in the defence. He runs up to the ten metre line, before a diving tackle attempt by Roofrom50, which is unsuccessful. He keeps sprinting further to the halfway line before being brought down from behind by Holdenator. Mertons at the ruck, passes a diving pass left again to flyhalf Halo, who runs into the tackle courtesy of Gutterman. One minute for the Eagles to hold on now.

78:59
- Mertons from the ruck again, passes it this time right to Ngusmo on the halfway line. He's sweetly brought down by Clever. Tonga retain possession, seeming not to be going anywhere at the moment. Luta makes a quick pick and go from the ruck to no success. We run into the dying seconds now as the hooter goes.

80:00 - Tonga have to keep possession if they want it win. Mertons passes left from the ruck. A set play now. Halo throws it to centre Ngusmo, who passes it back. He goes to the number eight Kuvali, but again a tackle from Stanfill denies them of a break. On the halfway again, retaining possession. They need more players in the ruck, the Tongans. The ball seems to be hidden in the ruck. USA can sense a turnover now and bring in more forwards to help out. They secure the turnover! It looks to be the match for Tonga. Holdenator makes a well executed pass back to Gutterman, who kicks it into the crowd, and the referee blows for full time!

celebration-1.gif

celebration2-1.gif

That's what you call a game of rugby. Both sides in it, a quality match and the thriller right at the end. Full time here at National Stadium. The match was tight and it came down to the last second, but USA have secured their second win of the season. That's two from two now for coach Xuzuno, he should be very pleased.

The first half started in a physical encounter, with plenty of penalties being awarded, not to mention a sin binning. The Eagles ran out to a 16 point lead, until Tonga came back with a try late into the first half. The teams came back with improved discipline and we saw a territory game with not much being scored. Until the last three minutes, when Tonga came back again, scoring a late try to put the result of the match up for anyone to take. The nerveless USA held on with some brilliant defending.

The Eagles should celebrate their win, and the crowd got their money's worth today. The man of the match has been decided and Burnsy1 has been chosen for showing a magnificent display of defensive and attacking rugby especially the try he scored.

manofmatch.gif

That's all from National Stadium here today. Be sure to catch us again next time for their final match before they head off to New Zealand, against their toughest opponents yet, Fiji. But for now see you later!

Full Time Score: 21-17

Last edited:
Top work there mate. Looks as if I played pretty well!

very happy with my performance and especially to be awarded the MOM award. finally got on the scoreboard with the try. kutgw mate. also keep in those little news paper updates with the comedy it realy adds to the story.

Prett happy with my performance too. Got named a bit in the general play, unlike the last match we played :p

nytlogo379x64.gif

The USA Eagles have got their second in of their season, with a nail-biter 21-17 win over Tonga in Fiji on Tuesday. The stand out performers of the match, were the USA backs, who attacked and defended superbly throughout the match.

Match Report

The match started in calm conditions, with USA dominiating much of the possession. The first points came from Mad Snake's boot after a dangerous tackle went against Tonga.

The first half continued with more penalties, when pressure on the home side finally forced an offside ruling against Tonga. Mad Snake kept his 100% kicking record, extending his teams lead to 6-0.

USA saw a lot of ball, and were attacking for much of the first half an hour. Nothing seemed to come from it, until some magic out of nowhere by the USA winger Freddiw, set his team mate Mad Snake up with the first try of the match.

The match continued with more penalties and the referee was fed up with the constant infringing, and finally gave Tonga flanker, Afreakon a yellow card. He was sent off until the beginning stages of the second half, meaning Tonga was one man short.

Tonga's play surprisingly improved as they found momentum in the late stages of the first spell. The men in red got themselves on the scoreboard after a shot a goal. Then a lapse in USA's defence, Mertons played some nice assist play, and Halo scored Tonga their first try to bring the score within six points.

The teams went into the break with a score of 16-10 to the visitors. USA would have been disappointed that they let the late try in. During the half time interval, coach Xuzuno brought on Ayub 95 and M.French.

The majority of the second half was a battle of territory. Kicking galore and looking more like a table tennis match, rather than rugby. The teams cut down on their penalites and looked more disciplined.

Fifteen minutes into the second spell, however, Freddiw again set up another try, this time to centre Burnsy1. The try extended their lead to 11 points.

The Tongans found some rhythm and were attacking constantly to the Eagles line. Their hard work paid off, when another defensive error award Tonga with their second try. This narrowed the gap to 21-17.

The final two minutes were always going to put USA under pressure. Tonga needed a try to win the match. The home side had a long phase of attack, but couldn't get out of their own half. The Eagles forced a turnover, and kicked it out of the field of play. The Eagles won a tight physical match and it's another win for USA and coach Xuzuno.

Coach's Thoughts

Xuzuno said after the match, "That was a tight match, but the boys managed to hold on. The Tongans surprised us a bit with their determination in the scrum and the line-up, but the team held on just enough. The first half started off the way we wanted it, but I wasn't too pleased the boys let in the try right before the break. The second phase didn't play to how I wanted it to, with the quantity of kicking. I would have wanted them to run the ball up a bit more. However I'm proud of the teams performance today and how they perform under pressure. We'll all take a deserved break and look forward to the match next week against Fiji.

Players' Performances

This section is where we analyse the PlanetCricket players' performance during the match. A rating is given as well as a comment as to how they did.

4. Thesweepmaster - 5/10
Several mistakes from the lineout, but scrummaged well. Set the ball up nicely for the backs.

6. Shevchenko - 6/10
Nice debut. Had some good runs in general play, and great defence.

8. Griffo - 6/10
Didn't see the ball much, but made the most of his opportunites. Good pressure placed on opposition.

9. Holdenator - 8/10
No mistakes from the halfback today. Cleared the ball quickly from the ruck, to set up opportunites for the backs. Brilliant defensive effort.

10. Mad Snake - 7/10
Another great match. Flawless goal kicking, and decent attacking. A few errors on tactical kicking and clearances.

11. Freddiw - 8/10
Played a defensive game. Saw the ball quite a bit, assisting in a couple of tries. Showed good pace on the outside.

12. Highlander999 - 5/10
Didn't see the ball much. Made good tackles however.

13. Burnsy1 - 9/10
A man of the match performance. Efficient attacking with the ball, including a try. Brilliant defending and a try saving tackle.

14. Roofrom50 - 6/10
Didn't see the ball much again. A few missed tackles, but held his nerve when the pressure was on.

15. Shefellover93 - 6/10
Took the high ball well. Kicked decently.

20. Ayub 95 - 7/10
Good supportive play. Shined on defence.

21. Gutterman - 6/10
Played defensively well. Made crucial tackles. Wasn't a stand-out on attack, but played as expected.

22. Adyhorn - 5/10
Poor defensive match, let in a try. Kicked decently.

Users who are viewing this thread