Rugby World Cup 2011

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
So who all other than the All Blacks & Tonga perform this so called ritualistic Haka?

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
So I went to the waterfront at 2.45 and there were heaps of people. Flagged Queens Wharf and went to the Viaduct. Couldn't see anything at all. Being short ftl >.> Could hear some stuff though. Then the waka people came and walked along Quay St except it was hard for them to move since no one had really roped anything off.

I went to the end of the Cloud line then went back to the front when I found some friends who wanted to go lineup so ended up going back to the end of the line again. That was about 3pm, about 4.15pm they say it's closed and they have reached capacity. After that is was choas trying to get anywhere, I was right by some people that lifted the fence near the entance. Security guard eventually got through but those people that sneaked in managed to go on in. After that there was some argument between the guys on either side of the fence one arguing they had been waiting in line for ages and the guy on the outside bargaining likewise. Anyway after that tried to get to the Viaduct, got absolutely no where until the first part of the opening ceremony was over by which stage I had lost my friend and couldn't contact him cause Vodafone crapped out.

Somehow got a couple of messages to another friend who eventually found me, after that grabbed dinner, watched the fireworks from the viaduct and then found a good spot near the screen where the crowd was well behaved.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Absolute chaos last night from my perspective.

Left home at 2pm and left town at 1am, overall it took me two and a half hours when normally it takes about half an hour each way. The public transport was a joke, even at 1am they were sending Western people on the Southern train, and the people running the show didn't know what train's were going where.

So I got there after 3pm and went down to Queen's wharf, but that was well full, and since the whole of the east of Quay St was packed we decided to head over the other side. A normal five minute walk took us 45 minutes, it was just absolute chaos. Lucky I'm tall and skinny, because old people and little kids were getting tweaked up. People were jumping on roofs and cars etc, and climbing trees to get out of it. The security guards had no idea what to do, and people were climbing the fences they had put up to get up of it.

So we got to the other end and no screens were working, so we headed into town for an hour or so, and came back out in time for the opening ceremony. We were at the far east of Quay street outside Queen's wharf, and that was absolutely packed. After the fireworks and before the match the chaos started up again as people started moving. I got picked up off my feet a couple of times. Once the match started it sorted itself out, and I actually had a pretty good view. By then though my body was tweaked as I'd been standing up for over six hours because there were no seats around.

In the end we actually got into Queen's wharf after midnight, but after half an hour or so the concert wrapped up, and by then I was quite happy just to head home.

Overall the experience wasn't really that bad, but it was something which I expected to be a whole lot better.

Not to mention the phone service was completely tweaked up. After the game at McDonald's I got nine texts at once some dating back to 4pm. :/

----------

England vs Argentina or the Warriors tonight, hmmm...

ferg512

International Coach
Well the public transport problem was to be expected really, here in Wgtn the trains and buses struggle to go a day without any sizeable delays when people are going to and from work. If it was that bad at Auckland, it will be twice as bad here. My mate got some tickets for Aus v USA so hopefully I might end up going to that.

----------

Yeah I'm not really sure either, might have to do a lot of flicking back and forth

----------

These afternoon games are going to be annoying. Not going to manage the Romania game at 2am.

Yeah, I suppose at least the majority of the big matches are at night so for you guys it would be like around 8-9am.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Lucky I live only three streets away from Eden Park, so I never have to reply on public transport to get there.

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Yea was so hard trying to contact people. It didn't seem to be as bad for me as it was for you Callum, I'd get the txts about 15 minutes after people sent them. But it was nearly impossible to get calls through. Wasted so much money getting to people's voicemails instead

Biggy

Panel of Selectors
Absolute chaos last night from my perspective.

Left home at 2pm and left town at 1am, overall it took me two and a half hours when normally it takes about half an hour each way. The public transport was a joke, even at 1am they were sending Western people on the Southern train, and the people running the show didn't know what train's were going where.

So I got there after 3pm and went down to Queen's wharf, but that was well full, and since the whole of the east of Quay St was packed we decided to head over the other side. A normal five minute walk took us 45 minutes, it was just absolute chaos. Lucky I'm tall and skinny, because old people and little kids were getting fried chickened up. People were jumping on roofs and cars etc, and climbing trees to get out of it. The security guards had no idea what to do, and people were climbing the fences they had put up to get up of it.

So we got to the other end and no screens were working, so we headed into town for an hour or so, and came back out in time for the opening ceremony. We were at the far east of Quay street outside Queen's wharf, and that was absolutely packed. After the fireworks and before the match the chaos started up again as people started moving. I got picked up off my feet a couple of times. Once the match started it sorted itself out, and I actually had a pretty good view. By then though my body was fried chickened as I'd been standing up for over six hours because there were no seats around.

In the end we actually got into Queen's wharf after midnight, but after half an hour or so the concert wrapped up, and by then I was quite happy just to head home.

Overall the experience wasn't really that bad, but it was something which I expected to be a whole lot better.

Not to mention the phone service was completely fried chickened up. After the game at McDonald's I got nine texts at once some dating back to 4pm. :/

----------

Well the public transport problem was to be expected really, here in Wgtn the trains and buses struggle to go a day without any sizeable delays when people are going to and from work. If it was that bad at Auckland, it will be twice as bad here. My mate got some tickets for Aus v USA so hopefully I might end up going to that.

----------

Yeah I'm not really sure either, might have to do a lot of flicking back and forth

----------

Yeah, I suppose at least the majority of the big matches are at night so for you guys it would be like around 8-9am.

Suckers....here in Queensland:

6:30pm: Broncos v Warriors
8:30pm: Sea Eagles v Cowboys
10:30pm: England v Argentina

:D

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I think I'm just going to record the England match :p

-D-S-B-

International Coach
So who all other than the All Blacks & Tonga perform this so called ritualistic Haka?
Only NZ does a haka but other Pacific Island teams have their own cultural wardance thing.

Gutted I miss the Warriors game tonight, going to Argentina vs England should be a good enough substitute I suppose.

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
Just saw the highlights of Scotland v. Romania.. couldn't believe the final score was so close and even more surprised that it was 24-24 until the final minutes. Hopefully a few more matches like this, as I usually only watch a handful of pool games.

And now Japan pushing the French to the final minutes, good stuff so far.

Last edited:

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I see Argentina are playing the All Blacks ;)
ABs don't appear to be playing like ABs though...

----------

How crap are these numbers? They'll all have blank shirts by half time.

Users who are viewing this thread