Sack Ricky Ponting

angryangy

ICC Chairman
The fielding tactics for Hauritz were bizarre though
But it was the field Hauritz asked for, which raises an interesting point. How many decisions are perceived as poor simply because the viewer lacks the information to understand them? Ponting has often been blamed because Katich and Clarke aren't fit to bowl and a few were similarly critical when Bollinger didn't take the field at Mohali. He does make some bad or questionable decisions, but I also think out of anyone, he's under the most scrutiny. People want him to be making bad decisions, so they can catch him. And this is not to say that there lies a great swath of cunning captains in world cricket. There aren't. You can take your pick of indifferent or reluctant decision-makers.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Well Dhoni made much more errors this series but since India won 2-0 nobody will ever speak about it.

Who cares?

I don't rate Dhoni that much as a captain either don't see what reflection that has on the fact that it might be time for Ponting to at least give up the captaincy.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Same thing and same article that was return few months back for Dhoni when his captaincy lost 2 consecutive T20 world cups.

Sacking Ponting is just a foolish thought. He has done great things for Australian Cricket including sledging :p

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Exactly my point, nobody cares.

Who cares in reference to Ponting was my point. Strauss is a decent but very defensive captain does that make any difference to Ponting's Captaincy?

Ponting always gets the blame for Australia's losses. Not saying he shouldn't, but it is a bit over the top don't you think?

I wouldn't say its over the top. He has a long record of being a rather shite captain things have finally came to the fire so to say.

Sacking Ponting is just a foolish thought. He has done great things for Australian Cricket including sledging

As a player he's been one of the best for the last ten years. As a captain he's consistently been poor for my point of view.

TumTum

International Cricketer
Who cares in reference to Ponting was my point. Strauss is a decent but very defensive captain does that make any difference to Ponting's Captaincy?

I wouldn't say its over the top. He has a long record of being a rather shite captain things have finally came to the fire so to say.

Well you just suggested two captains that are worse than Ponting, yet Ponting is always the one getting called for his head. So how does that not make it over the top? Especially considering Ponting's experience and record.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
But it was the field Hauritz asked for, which raises an interesting point. How many decisions are perceived as poor simply because the viewer lacks the information to understand them? Ponting has often been blamed because Katich and Clarke aren't fit to bowl and a few were similarly critical when Bollinger didn't take the field at Mohali. He does make some bad or questionable decisions, but I also think out of anyone, he's under the most scrutiny. People want him to be making bad decisions, so they can catch him. And this is not to say that there lies a great swath of cunning captains in world cricket. There aren't. You can take your pick of indifferent or reluctant decision-makers.

Didn't knew that. Its better to not bowl then with that field if you do not have confidence on yourself to stop batsman from scoring runs or take wickets.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
I think he is a good ODI captain. And when things are going his way, there is no better captain to have than Ricky Ponting. He is aggressive and will put the choke on any team.

But when you are down, or even when its even, he tends to drop the ball. Bad bowling changes, fielding plans (seriously it was SO defensive yesterday) you name it.

But I don't see a replacement. Clarke? I don't think so. Katich? Watson? Nah. NORTH! :laugh I'd probably go with Hussey, but he's old and not a long time option.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I've always found Ponting to be a substandard captain. I think Australia is in a difficult situation because there isn't really a history of a former captain sticking around in the team. And Ponting most definitely merits a spot in the XI on batting alone. I would say he was the Aussies second best bat in the India series after Watson.

Compare that to India. We at one point had a team captained by the Dhonster that contained 3 former Test captains--Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly. The only one of our recent captains who ended his career with his captaincy are Azharuddin (due to match-fixing allegations) and Kumble (due to retirement).

Just from India series, it seems Ponting lacks the ability to rotate his bowlers correctly. When we toured Australia, he was over-reliant on MJ being able to bowl long spells. In another match, he had to fill in overs with a part-timer because the over-rate was hosed.

That said, compared to the current crop of international captains, Ponting is about average. Good captains are hard to come by. The list of really good captains throughout cricket history can probably be counted on one hand. It doesn't help Ponting, either, that he had to fill the boots of Steve Waugh.

irottev

School Cricketer
I was gonna say Clarke should take over, but given the form he's in - not a good idea. Ponting has to stay. He should probably give up after the Ashes though. It's a shame Australia will lose to England so he'll leave cricket on a sour note.

Robelinda

International Coach
I've always found Ponting to be a substandard captain. I think Australia is in a difficult situation because there isn't really a history of a former captain sticking around in the team.

Greg Chappell. Played his final series at least as just a player under Kim Hughes' captaincy. Chappell missed several tours and Kim took over, then but eventually Kin retained the captaincy ahead of Chappell for at least 2 season from memory.

Ian Chappell even played on as just a player too after he handed the reins to Greg for the 75/76 test series.

So there is precedent for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread