Sharing the cable internet via wireless to my phone

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Hey guys, I am really sorry if this has been asked before.

Well, there are some apps which my phone needs and they can be downloaded directly to the phone only. Vodafone India is pretty expensive in data charges. So, the only option left with me is to use the internet I use on my laptop.

Sadly, the internet I use is not a wireless one, but its the cable internet (needs a wire). I don't know how do I use this internet service in my phone.

I tried Connectify, virtual router and even created a new ad-hoc connection with sharing on, but still, no results.

I guess I do some mistakes in the settings. Can anyone help me?

General Errors:

• Connectify is not able to create a connection
  • Virtual Router connects to the phone, but there is no internet connection. Same with the new ad-hoc connection

I use Windows 7 Home Premium (32 bit).

Thanks

Windows 7 is not the info we need. What is the mobile phone you are using? :p

Don't you have 5 rupee per day unlimited data usage or 99 rupee monthly pack for 2 GB in Vodaphone?

SciD added 3 Minutes and 10 Seconds later...

Also CCD has free Wi-Fi so you can grab a coffee and enjoy free web usage on phone there.

I need it for two reasons. One of them being on Blackberry Torch and the other one being the Samsung Wave.

Yudi added 1 Minutes and 1 Seconds later...

I came across this link, might be what you're looking for: Access Internet From Mobile Using Computers Internet Connection
I guess I tried it on my N95 earlier, but failed there too.

Go to CCD now. Why will you buy BB if you are afraid of Data charges?

SciD added 3 Minutes and 17 Seconds later...

What about Blackberry app world?

You have BB Torch! Is it released in India yet?
How much did it cost you? I need a detailed review from you sometime soon. :)

Just invest in a router. Shouldn't cost you that much.

I'd hate to have just wired internet. We've got like 20 devices using our network at home!

You have BB Torch! Is it released in India yet?
How much did it cost you? I need a detailed review from you sometime soon. :)
I don't use BB, my friend does. I use Samsung Wave. Well, and I clarified, its not torch. He use 9600! Says that he wishes to update the BBM or something like that and it can be done only through a wi-fi connection.

I need some apps for my wave, which can directly be downloaded to the phone. Also, I need to test some other in-built applications. Vodafone India doesn't provide imap and other settings. To use them, we have to pay a lot. :)

Yudi added 2 Minutes and 11 Seconds later...

Just invest in a router. Shouldn't cost you that much.

I'd hate to have just wired internet. We've got like 20 devices using our network at home!
Hmm.. Currently, this looks as the best possible option. Would also give me the liberty to move around with my lappie anywhere in my house. For now, to access the internet, I have to stick at one place. :(

Why do you need IMAP? Gmail account allows you to use POP3 for using with push or poll mail apps in your phone.

Does it actually "push" mail? i.e. is the mail delivery real-time, or you have set it up to synchronize every say 10 minutes?

I am am using my Gmail account set up as microsoft exchange for push mail, and the Gmail business account set-up for sync because my phone allows only 1 push mail account.

But I don't get what he means by Vodafone charging extra for Imap access.. it's just the normal gprs isn't it? it just needs to be always-on, so it shouldn't be a time-based charge, which I haven't seen any gprs to be.

Does it actually "push" mail? i.e. is the mail delivery real-time, or you have set it up to synchronize every say 10 minutes?

I am am using my Gmail account set up as microsoft exchange for push mail, and the Gmail business account set-up for sync because my phone allows only 1 push mail account.

But I don't get what he means by Vodafone charging extra for Imap access.. it's just the normal gprs isn't it? it just needs to be always-on, so it shouldn't be a time-based charge, which I haven't seen any gprs to be.

I think he is one confused dude. :p

Its real time push but I don't use that option for battery life.

It is automatically synchronized every five minutes.
And its not only IMAP, Vodafone charges a lot for POP3 too. In fact, they both come in the same package, known as Vodafone Connect. The Rs. 5 daily plan is just WAP.

Is there any solution to use my laptop's internet on my phone? I thought the answer would be straightforward, but...

The link I gave you seemed the only option..

Abhas added 6 Minutes and 13 Seconds later...

I don't get what you mean by charging for pop3 or Imap. These are mail delivery protocols, and vodafone doesn't need to care about either. It is simply providing you GPRS.

It's like, you subscribe for Internet from a company, and then it's upto you what you use it for.. you want to make an email account on gmail, hotmail, yahoo, or whatever, upto you. The ISP shouldn't have a say in that.

What plan are you looking at? Blackberry plans would be different from the normal GPRS plans. For your Samsung Wave, you should look at GPRS, not Blackberry Internet Service.
For the BB however, I don't think normal GPRS works with the mail and messenger. You'll need to subscribe to the BB services, which are expensive because they are encrypted and run through the Blackberry servers.

Users who are viewing this thread