Shocking: Afridi quits international cricket!

Pranav

ICC Board Member
Shahid Afridi, Pakistan's captain at the 2011 World Cup, is reported to have announced his retirement from the international game. Afridi, 31, had quit Test cricket last year after leading Pakistan to defeat in the first Test in England, but remained an integral part of the limited-overs sides, which he continued to lead until the recent tour of the West Indies.

More to follow ...

Pakistan news: Shahid Afridi quits international cricket | Cricket News | Global | ESPN Cricinfo

Highlander999

ICC President
Pakistan realised nothing too extreme had happened recently so Afridi thought he would do his bit..... Odds he will return from retirement within a few months? Extremely high :facepalm

Pranav

ICC Board Member
This is nothing but shocking. I am afraid this isn't going to help the situation of Pakistan cricket which is already in turmoil

If he has really called it quits and doesn't change his mind in favour of returning back, which is highly unlikely, it is a shame! He was going pretty good and was excellent in this year's World Cup. Given his age, he has at least 5-6 years of international cricket left in him.

ksduded

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
you guys do know that this is all hogwash... specially the disclaimer that I won't return while the current cricketing board is in power. Its a conditional retirement which counts for nothing.

Afridi had the chance to be the bigger man here, but once again disappointed his fans by reacting emotionally.

BKB1991

Panel of Selectors
Dont be too shocked, he will be back. But I think this news has huge potential. He has the support of the nation, his heroics in the World Cup didnt go unnoticed. The government should step in and see whats wrong with the PCB and hopefully can sort it out.

Prediction is, nothing happens, he will be back by 6 months, but whether captain or not, remains to be the question.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Guys be fair. He is quality player. Only needs to be responsible in batting. However he is still going to play in Sri Lankan premier league. That will be worth watching.

If truth be told, he will return :).

Pakistan has so many potentially best cricket but are all being corrupted because of the PCB.

Curse you PCB members. Don't spoil Pakistan. Get out of the board :mad

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
The guy is in the form of his life, so he shouldn't quit now.

I am guessing the article has now been updated. He says he wants to come back when a new board comes.

Shahid Afridi 'quits' international cricket
ESPNcricinfo staff
May 30, 2011

Shahid Afridi, Pakistan's recently axed one-day captain, has announced his "conditional" retirement from the international game, as a mark of protest against the way he has been "humiliated" by the PCB. However, Afridi said he was ready to reverse his decision if and when a new board came into power

"There is nothing bigger than a man's respect, and the way the board has treated me, there is a limit to everything," Afridi was quoted as saying by Geo TV in Pakistan and by the Jang newspaper. "I will not play under this board. If a different board comes in, I will definitely return but I cannot play under this board. When you have been humiliated like this, by dishonourable people, what is the point in playing on?

"The way I've been treated ... the future doesn't look too good. I can't play under a board that doesn't respect its players. Because of this, under protest, this is a conditional retirement.

Pakistan news: Shahid Afridi 'quits' international cricket | Cricket News | Global | ESPN Cricinfo

mohit_dude10

Club Captain
In Pakistan is there any such thing as retirement/ban? I'm sure he'll be back soon :p

Looks like an emotional and rash decision as he was removed from captaincy.

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
Its not a shocking decision maybe its a shocking decision for the cricket world but for us it wasn't and it was kinda expected. Shahid Afridi has taken the right decision and he must have given it quite a thought.

He is a bold and respectful person and he needs respect. He has been bearing all the rubbish from Cricket board since he was made captain. He further said that "I was bearing the improper behavior for quite a long time and there is a limit to everything"

This news has got some potential now we will be seeing millions of messages bombarded in the media to bring him back and as Captain, coz Alhamdullilah, He has proved that he is the best choice of captain Pakistan has.

Last edited:

Prithvi

10 years at Planetcricket
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
PCB= EPIC EPIC EPIC FAIL:cheers!

This is a board, which needs to learn from some domestic boards on how to deal with players. PCB should dissovle, a new board should form, with the likes of Rameez Raza, Wasim Akram, Imraan Khan etc- the ones who know how to deal properly with a player in my opinion.
With PCB and that bloody Ijaz Butt and all those crappy members, you cannot expect Pakistan to improve even a bit.

Shahid Afridi should play for India, which will be just like "adding salt to injury" ;) :p.

Users who are viewing this thread