Should Ricky Ponting give up captaincy after Ashes

Should Ponting hand over Captaincy after the Ashes

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I hope he doesn't. We may not win it again if he does.

NICK_GIFF

Club Captain
Possibly his last Ashes as captain, but I reckon he will (and should) stay as captain for a bit longer. Clarke isn't quite ready yet - although over the next year they have a great chance to prepare him for it with Ricky's guidance.

Plus he's had a pretty sound series captaincy wise - unlike '05 where his leadership abilities were a bit more questionable.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
He should stay. I love the look on his face when he's losing and when he's lost. Wouldn't be the same if he wasn't captain.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I dunno, there was a lot of talk about how this was "his" team after warne and mgrath retired. it was an oppertunity for to develop something that was more than sum of it's parts. the old australia didn't need to be more than the sum of it's parts because the parts in question included 5 or 6 of the best players in the world.

but his record is looking a little hideous now. the win against india was marred with controversy, they were then soundly beaten by india in india and lost out to a gritty south africa at home, even the highlight of this period, the win in south africa, had the shine taken off it when they were smashed in the last test leaving most people thinking "what if south africa hadn't so tamely collapsed in the other tests." (not that it wasn't a good win largely down to an on fire johnson, but for me anyway, I was left feeling that it hadn't really been as much of a fight as I expected) of course along the way there has been some typically comfortable wins against the lesser opponents.

I still feel like he has more to offer, mostly because I can't see clarke doing a much better job, but that's perhaps unfair until he's had a chance to prove himself, going into a period of tests they should win, perhaps now is the time for some new players to blood themselves.

Last edited:
P

pcfan123

He will deffo captain them in the next Ashes in Oz and we will probably get our teeth kicked in

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
Our record under Ponting is far from poor. He showed he is still the number 1 man for the job this series. Clarke does seem ready, but Ponting doesn't deserve to have it stripped off him.

Some Guy....

School Cricketer
It's not the time for him to step down. He's still the rock in the batting line up, and he's still got something to prove.

Gilly75

School Cricketer
He wont give up the capaincy lightly. I'm convinced that he will be there to win back the ashes in 18 months time as captain.

Users who are viewing this thread