Story Sixes World League: India Sixes - Game 10 has been posted

HawkAussie

Panel of Selectors
Hobart Hurricanes
Profile Flag
Australia
F1da5ij.png

With the recent sucess of the IRB Sevens World Series, the ICC has imported a brand new competition which will involve the top 8 test teams being the core teams for all six rounds of the series. Which is
Australia
England
India
New Zealand
Pakistan
South Africa
Sri Lanka
West Indies

Also the calendar for the first season of the series has been annouced with no surprises on the hosts for the 2007-08 season

October 10-11: India Sixes
November 19-20: New Zealand Sixes
December 5-6: Australia Sixes
January 14-16: Hong Kong Sixes
February 10-11: England Sixes
March 14-15: Caribbean Sixes (Grand Final)

So lets hope for a fun and intersting battle as 12 teams will compete in India

Not World Series
Hong Kong Sixes to expand
Bangladesh take home the Asia-Pacific Championship

Last edited:
Yea this is going to be fun .. Always have enjoyed hongkong 6s tournament :)

Oh well one more story thread. :D yea, lets make this place active back :) good luck!

September 17, 2007: Cape Town, South Africa
With the T20 World Cup in full swing, the first tournament of the Sixes calendar has now officaly annouced their group stage draw. The 12 team tournament will have four non-core teams with all of them just coming out of the WCT20 with Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, Kenya and Scotland all making their first apperance on the Sixes stage aswell as the core teams

Groups for the India Sixes
Group A | Group B | Group C | Group D
:nz: New Zealand|:eng: England|:ind: India|:pak: Pakistan
:saf: South Africa|:aus: Australia|:sri: Sri Lanka|:wi: West Indies
:ban: Bangladesh|:zim: Zimbabwe|:sco: Scotland|:ken: Kenya

So with the groups announced and in no shock their is one group the exact same as the T20WC with England, Australia, Zimbabwe once again being in the same Group B. So with that the matches for the first Sixes tournament.

Day 1
Match 1: South Africa vs. Bangladesh: Bangladesh won by 1 wicket
Match 2: Australia vs. Zimbabwe: Australia won by 1 wicket
Match 3: Sri Lanka vs. Scotland: Sri Lanka won by 47 runs
Match 4: West Indies vs. Kenya: Kenya won by 5 wickets
Match 5: Scotland vs. India: India won by 29 runs
Match 6: Zimbabwe vs. England: England won by 1 wicket
Match 7: Bangladesh vs. New Zealand: Bangladesh won by 2 wickets
Match 8: Kenya vs. Pakistan: Pakistan won by 33 runs
Match 9: New Zealand vs. South Africa: South Africa won by 4 wickets
Match 10: England vs. Australia: England won by 34 runs
Match 11: India vs. Sri Lanka
Match 12: West Indies vs. Pakistan

Day 2
Match 13: New Zealand vs. 3GD (Bowl SF)
Match 14: Zimbabwe vs. Scotland (Bowl SF)
Match 15: South Africa vs. 2GD (Plate SF)
Match 16: Australia vs. 2GC (Plate SF)
Match 17: Bangladesh vs. 1GC (Cup SF)
Match 18: England vs. 1GD (Cup SF)
Match 19: Loser of Match 13 vs. Loser of Match 14 (11th)
Match 20: Winner of Match 13 vs. Winner of Match 14 (Bowl F)
Match 21: Loser of Match 15 vs. Loser of Match 16 (7th)
Match 22: Winner of Match 15 vs. Winner of Match 16 (Plate F)
Match 23: Loser of Match 17 vs. Loser of Match 18 (3rd)
Match 24: Winner of Match 17 vs. Winner of Match 18 (Cup F)

So with the group stage being announced what will we see in this, Hopefully some brilliant shots and catches will come as the season is about to happen with a bang in India.

Last edited:
September 24, 2007 (Cape Town)
Group A preview
The first group preview out of four is Group A with New Zealand, South Africa and Bangladesh. All of the teams have not made any international finals in their history and with the opening match being in this group then it will be good.

New Zealand
:bat: Ross Taylor
:bat: Lou Vincent
:ar: Jacob Oram
:ar: Daniel Vettori :c:
:wk: Brendon McCullum
:bwl: Shane Bond
:bwl: Chris Marin
:bwl: Mark Gillespie

New Zealand team to India is the strongest in the group with the likes of McCullum, Vettori and Taylor leading the ranks. If all of them do fire then New Zealand will be a tough team to beat in the opening round of the season. I predict that they will win both games in the group and a spot in the semis is easily theirs.

South Africa
:bat: Richard Levi
:bat: Alviro Petersen
:ar: Justin Kemp
:ar: Albie Morkel
:ar: Vernon Philander
:wk: Heino Kuhn
:bwl: Johan Botha :c:
:bwl: Charl Langeveldt

A bunch of unknowns lead the squad into battle for South Africa as the main team will be in Pakistan. They do say a bunch of unknowns can cause trouble but with not much fire power in the lineup they are going to struggle, maybe even lose to Bangladesh. I reckon it is going to be a tough experience for them and maybe just scrape through to the plate with a close win against Bangladesh

Bangladesh
:bat: Mohammad Ashraful
:bat: Tamin Iqbal :c:
:bat: Nazimuddin
:bat: Junaid Siddique
:wk: Mushfique Rahim
:ar: Farhaz Reza
:ar: Shakib Al Hasan
:bwl: Ziaur Rahman

What can I say about this squad, cause I honestly think that they may of randomize the squad from the T20 into here. 4 batsman is in my word, crazy. Crazienss for miles and miles. That being said, Shakib Al Hasan and Mohammad Ashraful will be handy players in the squad for the non-core team. I thinking that Bangladesh will lose both matches with the game against South Africa by a whisker.

So with the squads for Group A announced, Any surprises or any players that should of been but ain't then just post in this thread.

Last edited:
You never know on Bangladesh, they are expert in creating upsets especially with the formats like these. :D I am going to support Bangladesh. ;) Good luck with this Matt, what game/sim you would be using for this?

You never know on Bangladesh, they are expert in creating upsets especially with the formats like these. :D I am going to support Bangladesh. ;) Good luck with this Matt, what game/sim you would be using for this?

I am using the same sim which I used for my league with random.org and hoping that it doesn't backfire on me.

Thanks. Sounds good Matt, Lets go Bangla! :D 'Wrong Turn' coming up for other teams.. ;)

Shakib Al Hasan is a bowler o.O

September 25, 2007 (Cape Town)
Group B preview
With the Group A gone, We now preivew the second group or Group B as it is known with the teams being Australia, England and Zimbabwe. This is the same group that competed in the recent T20 taking on each other so lets see what squads come

Australia
:bat: Matthew Hayden
:bat: Michael Hussey :c:
:bat: Cameron White
:bat: Adam Voges
:wk: Daniel Smith
:bwl: Cullen Bailey
:bwl: Dan Cullen
:bwl: Shaun Tait

Well this is a good squad, knowing that the main team will be in India during Day 1 and 2 of the Sixes tournament. But with no all arounders in the squad for the tournament, they will be some good bowling from the batsman espically the captian and Voges to get them over the line. I think that they will win take home a win against Zimbabwe but not against England.

England
:bat: Darren Maddy
:bat: Jonathan Trott
:wk: Matt Prior
:ar: Andrew Flintoff :c:
:ar: Luke Wright
:ar: Dimitri Mascarenhas
:bwl: Chris Tremlett
:bwl: Monty Panesar

I honestly don't know what to make of this team with the likes of Mascarenhas (who is he) and Maddy just getting into the squad from other well known players like Wright and Tremlett. Matt Prior injury to the finger wasn't as bad as it looked and he will be right to play to see if that finger is working. Anyway I reckon they are going to just take home the 2 wins in their pool to go through to the Semis

Zimbabwe
:bat: Hamilton Masakadza
:bat: Johnson Marumisa
:bat: Justice Chibhabha
:wk: Brendan Taylor :c:
:ar: Elton Chigumbura
:ar: Sean Williams
:bwl: Christopher Mpofu
:bwl: Tawanda Mupariwa

Zimbabwe cricket was so happy when the draw came as they did involve the team that they beat in the T20WC just recently and with familar opposition then they could defeat one of the two to get some points on the board in this early stage. A full squad to choose from and hopefully it would pay off for them. I reckon that they will give it a hot red go but just fall short in both games.

Group B is now completed with some not surprising results for the squads. Lets see if history will repeat itselve or not.

Viewer Comments to the previous article and responses
Thanks. Sounds good Matt, Lets go Bangla! :D 'Wrong Turn' coming up for other teams.. ;)
Hope so too
Shakib Al Hasan is a bowler o.O
I have fixed that error that I made

Last edited:
September 26, 2007 (Cape Town)
Group C preview
The group that we are previewing today is the host nation group which is Group C, the teams of India, Sri Lanka and Scotland will be competing in the group for India.
India
:bat: Viredner Sehwag
:bat: Rohit Sharma
:ar: Joginder Sharma
:ar: Yusuf Pathan :c:
:ar: Piyush Chawla
:wk: Dinesh Karthik
:bwl: Ajit Agarkar
:bwl: Ramesh Powar
The host nation of the first tournament of the season and much like the other teams that do have to tour in October, a weaken squad is the name. While I am saying that, they do have their top hitter in the squad with Virender Sehwag coming into the squad. Other than that they do have 2 other players that could impress. I reckon that they will win only one game against Scotland but lose to Sri Lanka.

Sri Lanka
:bat: Chamara Kapugedera
:ar: Farveez Maharoof
:ar: Dilruwan Perera
:ar: Gayan Wijekoon
:wk: Prasanna Jayawardene :c:
:bwl: Nuwan Kulasekara
:bwl: Ruchira Perera
:bwl: Malinga Bandara
India southern neighbours, Sri Lanka is in this group with a unbalanced lineup which only having one batsman in the squad (Chamara Kapugedera). Other than that, there are unknowns across the board with the players nearly only known in Sri Lanka. Even with a not so good squad, I think they will surprisely to Scotland before defeating India

Scotland
:bat: Ryan Watson
:bat: Neil McCallum
:ar: Majid Haq
:ar: Gordon Drummond :c:
:ar: Gavin Hamilton
:wk: Colin Smith
:bwl: John Blain
:bwl: Dewald Nel
One of the two associates in the 12 country field, Scotland rounds out Group C with a strong squad with the main players competing in India. All of the players will be able to perform as they could get an upset with this format. I reckon there will be an upset against Sri Lanka but will lose to India by a big margin.

So one more group to complete the preview of and it will be Group D tomorrow and then it will be game on for young and old.

Last edited:
India looks weak :D well, we need R Jadeja, the legend to dominate single handedly all by himself :-D

Sir Jadeja *

September 27, 2007 (Cape Town)
Group D preview
The final group of the India Sixes is Group D with Pakistan, West Indies and Kenya taking the spots in this group. So who are playing in this is the weak group.
Pakistan
:bat: Khalid Latif
:bat: Imran Nazir
:ar: Sohail Tanvir
:ar: Shahid Afridi :c:
:wk: Zulqarnain Haider
:bwl: Shoaib Akhtar
:bwl: Rana Naved-ul-Hasan
:bwl: Danish Kaneria
Pakistan squad for the first tournament is in what you say, a little bit underpower for the squad. Some of the squad could be a threat while others maybe not. So I reckon they will win only one game against Kenya.

West Indies
:bat: Chris Gayle
:bat: Shivnarine Chanderpaul
:wk: Denesh Ramdin
:ar: Darren Sammy
:ar: Dwayne Bravo :c:
:bwl: Fidel Edwards
:bwl: Daren Powell
:bwl: Ravi Rampaul
The West Indies has got a powerful squad to the opening round with some of the big names playing in the West Indies squad. Chris Gayle will be an big name for the West Indies to spur them on. This team does have potential to take home the title in India so I reckon that they will win two from 2.

Kenya
:bat: Tammay Mishra
:ar: Steve Tikolo
:ar: Collins Obuya
:ar: Thomas Odoyo :c:
:ar: Tony Suji
:wk: David Obuya
:bwl: Peter Ongongo
:bwl: Elijah Otieno
Kenya could be a smart team with 4 all rounders being in their squad for the opening round but could also be a risk factor in this type with only one pure batsman and two pure bowlers. Some of the players can easily play the A game. I reckon that the all rounder style will backfire on them as they will lose both games.

So with all of the group previews now done and dusted, lets start this history making tournament for Sixes cricket and for India.

Viewer Comments to the previous article
India looks weak :D well, we need R Jadeja, the legend to dominate single handedly all by himself :-D
Sir Jadeja *
They obliviously haven't seen the talent yet.

Last edited:
October 2, 2007 (Chennai)
Hong Kong Sixes to expand
The Hong Kong Sixes will officaly be a 16 team tournament for the 2008 edition of the tournament, after a decision by the ICC and Hong Kong Cricket to extend the format. The tournament will run over 3 days with 16 games playing on each of the days. The Hong Kong Sixes will be one of two tournaments to be having the 16 team format with the other being the Sixes World Cup.

As well as the 8 core teams that will be competing, there will be 8 non-core teams with 2 in each of these regions (Europe, Americas, Asia-Pacific and Africa). After the group stage which will have 4 groups of 4 teams, the knockout stage has been modified to include the quarter finals stage which will add 8 more games into the schedule.

All of the team managers of the core teams are 50/50 with this decision with one saying 'This will help the game of Sixes Cricket but one shock lost could mean we won't get points for this round of the championship'. The comments were must like that but a little bit of modification here and there instead. The teams that are attempeting to qualife are here:

Europe
10. Ireland
13. Scotland
14. Netherlands
19. Denmark
27. Italy
29. Norway

Americas
15. Canada
16. Bermuda
22. Argentina
24. Cayman Islands
29. USA
37. Bahamas

Asia-Pacific
11. Bangladesh
17. United Arab Emirates
20. Oman
23. Papua New Guinea
25. Hong Kong
28. Fiji

Africa
9. Zimbabwe
12. Kenya
18. Namibia
21. Uganda
26. Tanzania
29. Botswana

Last edited:
Participation from minor teams would be great, it would be interesting to see if we can get some more upsets.

I am routing for Bangla Vs WI finals. :D

Users who are viewing this thread