South Africa in Australia Nov-Dec 2012/13

Something from Cricinfo:

Nath: "The way this match is going, Australia should stick that "Extras" guy in at first drop. He's playing a solid innings so far." 17 and counting. Australia conceded 11 in 151 odd overs.

He's got a good point.

Another article has said that McDermott has gotten angry at the bowlers for not following his legacy, not keeping it simple and swinging it his way.

HE should come back!

Kleinveldt has now bowled 7 no balls in 7 overs! For his sake I hope it is just nerves from being on debut.

Couldn't pick a better guy to rack up a hundred than Cowan at this stage. Has been getting starts every time and deserves more credit for seeing off the new ball in past matches. If he can keep this up, he should prove hard to dethrone as a permanent opener.

Haven't seen much of Quiney in shield cricket, so dunno if he always plays like that, but looked to be a bit overwhelmed with the situation. Can't blame the guy when playing his first test and having a front row seat to Amla and Kallis piling on runs.

Warner was pretty typical all or nothing. Must be a big score just around the corner, and tends to score them in bundles, so here's hoping that even a somewhat meaningless 2nd innings score can find him some form.

Deja vu for Ponting. At least he has some domestic form behind him, but it will be frustrating if he has another series of single digit scores, then goes back to pounding 100's in domestic.

Hussey's record against South Africa isn't exactly impressive either, so things could've gotten ugly if not for Cowan and Clarke putting on this massive stand.

We have to remember, that was Ponting's first Duck in ages. But I remember the last time he scored a double century before India, it was against Pakistan and his form just died after that.

----------

I love how McGrath has to adjust to commentating. Instead of saying "we" he now has to say "Australia"

Just woke up Cowan has done it now Clarke turn :)

Clarke has done it 100 up :yes #Captain Fantastic 20th test match hundred 4th at Gabba :yes

I love how McGrath has to adjust to commentating. Instead of saying "we" he now has to say "Australia"

I've noticed that too. It does sound strange.

Centuries to both Cowan and Clarke. Very happy for both of them, they've played well.

Have to agree. I'm more worried about the regression in our bowling attack than the performance of our top three. After last summer it looked like we might be about to put together an attack to rival any in the world. I think that's still on the cards, and I like the heart they showed during South Africa's innings - but they're down on pace and the discipline that McDermott instilled appears to have gone... could just be a bad couple of days, of course.

I don't think Australia were that bad. Average, mediocre, nothing special perhaps, but not bad. They kept SA reasonably quiet even when you take into account it was Amla and Kallis. SA bowlers have been pretty pedestrian as well. Pitch and conditions have certainly played a part.

They are talking about declaration scenarios at present in commentary and if Australia wants to win this they need to declare behind. An hour before stumps they might be up to 375, maybe 400 with some aggressive batting. That's 50-75 behind, but the WORST that could happen for Australia from that spot is that SA bat out the whole final day easily. I don't think SA would have time to set a safe 200+ target. Would also be a good test of the attitude of SA and it might confuse their batsmen a bit ie. do they set a target? play for the draw? play 'normally? That's the only chance of a result here - SA can't win now bar a massive Aussie collapse.

SA can't win now bar a massive Aussie collapse.
Warner,Quniey,Punter will have to play a part in the 2nd innings not everyday Clarke and Cowan will safe us :)

They are talking about declaration scenarios at present in commentary and if Australia wants to win this they need to declare behind. An hour before stumps they might be up to 375, maybe 400 with some aggressive batting. That's 50-75 behind, but the WORST that could happen for Australia from that spot is that SA bat out the whole final day easily. I don't think SA would have time to set a safe 200+ target. Would also be a good test of the attitude of SA and it might confuse their batsmen a bit ie. do they set a target? play for the draw? play 'normally? That's the only chance of a result here - SA can't win now bar a massive Aussie collapse.
I'd like to see some gauntlets thrown down. Challenge South Africa to bat aggressive, get the target past 250 and still have most of the day to bowl.

Cowan what was he thinking :facepalm

Users who are viewing this thread