South Africa in England July-Sept 2012

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Yeah, good to see Buttler starting to show what he can do. I think he'll become a special player in ODIs if he gets the chance, which hopefully some more good performances in T20 will bring for him. At least he should be safe in the team for the World Cup now.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
ICC World Twenty20 2012 : South Africa's trouble at the top of the order | Cricket News | South Africa v New Zealand | ESPN Cricinfo
Levi's reliance on leg-side play has been noted and he is now offered deliveries that are primarily wide of offstump, where he cannot hit to his favoured area of the field.

So how much of a hack is Richard Levi?? He's got that fast 100 vs NZ and not much else...he nosedived after his first 50 in the IPL when teams worked out to bowl spin at him early. Now apparently he can't score on the off side either?

Sounds like a worse version of Graeme Smith. Du Plessis might be the man to open instead of Levi, and pair him with Amla or Kallis.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Sounds like a worse version of Graeme Smith. Du Plessis might be the man to open instead of Levi, and pair him with Amla or Kallis.

Why not bring back Graeme Smith? I think he is a decent player in the format and Du Plessis has been in horrible form.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
South Africa should just open with Kallis and Amla. They both have the ability to score reasonably quickly and at least then they have a solid base for the rest of the order to push on with. Guys like Levi and du Plessis are going to come off once every handful of games at the very most.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Why not bring back Graeme Smith? I think he is a decent player in the format and Du Plessis has been in horrible form.

Yeah, why did they drop in the first place again?

----------

I'm all for a Kallis/Amla pair tbh, the rate they score at is good enough for me.

spooony

Club Captain

Because we do not care about T20. Its not "real cricket". Its school yard cricket for showbiz and the TV. We use 2nd stringers a lot in it and up and coming youngsters.

As for Levi. He's luck haven't been him with him for some time. Who is consistent in T20?

Strike rate is more important than batting avg in T20 cricket and if you notice you will see that everyone except 1in the SA team have a S/R of over 150

Last edited:

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
^Yeah...not really true. There are only a handful of batsmen in world cricket that have maintained 150 strike rates in T20s.
*Andrew Symonds is the only guy to have played 10 T20Is and have a S/R over 150.
*Only 9 men have scored over 1000 domestic T20 runs with a strike rate over 150 (Pollard, Sehwag, Afridi, Trescothick, Nazir, Harvey, Hick, Gayle and Y.Pathan).
*The average strike rate in T20Is is 116. The average economy rate for bowlers is 7.27 (or 121 S/R). So if you strike around 120, you are doing a reasonable job.

spooony

Club Captain
^Yeah...not really true. There are only a handful of batsmen in world cricket that have maintained 150 strike rates in T20s.
*Andrew Symonds is the only guy to have played 10 T20Is and have a S/R over 150.
*Only 9 men have scored over 1000 domestic T20 runs with a strike rate over 150 (Pollard, Sehwag, Afridi, Trescothick, Nazir, Harvey, Hick, Gayle and Y.Pathan).
*The average strike rate in T20Is is 116. The average economy rate for bowlers is 7.27 (or 121 S/R). So if you strike around 120, you are doing a reasonable job.

Sorry meant above 100 not 150. In fact only guys to have a strike rate rate under 120 in SA is Morkel, Steyn, Tsotsobe and Peterson. Peterson got one over 100 though.

I love the way how you reduce numbers to let it fit in your theory.

Levi and Rahman got a strike rate over 150. No matter if you play 1 or two or 2 matches. It says in International games played 9 guys have a strike rate of over 150.

Only 9 men have scored over 1000 domestic T20 runs with a strike rate over 150 (Pollard, Sehwag, Afridi, Trescothick, Nazir, Harvey, Hick, Gayle and Y.Pathan).
Which domestic league? You will find in "some domestic" leagues the SR is higher than their international one and others the other way around. SA players have a lower strike rate in T20 domestic than international competitions.

Just a interesting thing who would have thought Kallis would make such a good T20 player after all the criticism of him batting so slowly in his early and middle part of his career? 29 Matches 643 runs with a avg of over 40 and a strike rate of over 122.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Because we do not care about T20. Its not "real cricket". Its school yard cricket for showbiz and the TV. We use 2nd stringers a lot in it and up and coming youngsters.

Might as well not participate in the tournament if you don't care.

Users who are viewing this thread