South Africa in India

Its been broadcasted in Tv. If hes unfit he should not play. Hes not 24 year old anymore.

He is certainly unfit. His and Ishant Sharma's participation in the second Test relies on fitness tests which will be conducted today. I think that it is unfortunate to see India possibly going back to three spinners and I hope they don't do it. I feel that even with RP, Zaheer and possibly Ishant unfit, India should back up the support of Irfan Pathan (kinda already expected to play though), Munaf Patel*, Praveen Kumar, VRV Singh and Pankaj Singh, all of whom boss domestic FC cricket.

*If he is seen as unfit for selection, why don't the BCCI do something about it and try and get him fitter through the use of the NCA. I know talent when I see it and he is an undoubted talent, he possesses an intangible 'X-factor' which translates (simply) to a skiddy bounce off the pitch combined with some seam movement. It is something which I believe Jerome Taylor and Glenn Mcgrath to have possessed. It gives the illusion of pace through the ball appearing not to decellerate off the pitch as it would with another bowler - this taken into account, Munaf is still capable of bowling 140kph when in his stride, as he showed in Pakistan and Australia (for his first two games).

I feel that even with RP, Zaheer and possibly Ishant unfit, India should back up the support of Irfan Pathan (kinda already expected to play though), Munaf Patel*, Praveen Kumar, VRV Singh and Pankaj Singh, all of whom boss domestic FC cricket.

Munaf is still capable of bowling 140kph when in his stride, as he showed in Pakistan and Australia (for his first two games).

I think you are a big fan of Dadaji.Truth is he doesnt deserve a place. Bowling at 140 ks is not enough.He needs to give in on the field too which he does not.He is not 100% committed to playing cricket.

Irfan could play or as you say give Pankaj Singh a chance..Praveen Kumar,i dunno about his test abilities -could be worth a try.
VRV-i have no faith in him.

Irfan and Sree should be our attack tomorrow. We dont need RP even if he is 99999999999999% fit .

Also Sree is not required. If Ishants fit get him in with closed eyes.

Manee loves Dadaji. He still thinks he will get up some day and become active like Bret Lee.

Sree will pick up wickets.We need him to do another dance while batting. :D
Irfan might also not play tomorrow-They might ask Ganguly to open the bowling.Not a bad idea though.

DNA Injections????
Hmmm Never hearted of that...Please Stop mentioning Dadaji..Its Hurt..:p

India might be n trouble If Kumble won't play though I always wanted to see P Chawla in Action...I think He has potential...

Sree will pick up wickets.We need him to do another dance while batting. :D
Irfan might also not play tomorrow-They might ask Ganguly to open the bowling.Not a bad idea though.

I think If Kumble won't play then Irfan must be in the Playing 11..
In any case I should go with Irfan because that would straighten our batting..

Last edited:
I think you are a big fan of Dadaji.Truth is he doesnt deserve a place. Bowling at 140 ks is not enough.He needs to give in on the field too which he does not.He is not 100% committed to playing cricket.

He is not a good fielder - nor was West Indian fast bowlers of the 1980s. They were athletic but Holding has noted on commentary that they didn't dive in the field as many players today - should they have not been picked. In Test matches, fielding should be a low priority. Furthermore, the main priority with fielding should be taking catches - which he does well; he has a safe pair of hands. I understand that there is more to Test bowling than bowling at 140kph, but with the seam movement and accuracy that he has, it should be enough to have him in the second string of pace bowlers before resorting to three spinners - something which I regard as a negative tactic.

Irfan could play or as you say give Pankaj Singh a chance..Praveen Kumar,i dunno about his test abilities -could be worth a try.
VRV-i have no faith in him.

Why are you unsure about Praveen Kumar and VRV Singh? Praveen Kumar is a superbly talented bowler who has done it in the four day game. From what I saw in the Duleep Trophy final, VRV Singh has the ability to take wickets at all levels. His length is erratic and he extracts little lateral movement, but he always probes the corridor, which means lots of runs off drives (especially on flat pitches), but also lots of wickets!

Hardly anybody in the 80's dived in the field Mannee, irrelevant point.

Manee loves Dadaji. He still thinks he will get up some day and become active like Bret Lee.

Hmmm...

He is a talented bowler. I know his fitness leaves a lot to be desired, which is why I would not pick him in regular circumstances - but I feel he is the best option on a flat pitch, with RP, Ishant and Zaheer injured.

Hardly anybody in the 80's dived in the field Mannee, irrelevant point.

Stuttering is a sign of madness.:)

Seriously though, I do not believe that it is an irrelevant point. 80s or 2000s, their fielding would be disregarded in favour of their superior bowling prowess and although Munaf is not the best bowler in India, he is the best, fit option, imo.

Well how much I hate him I think dadaji is better than RP and Sree.

He is not a good fielder - nor was West Indian fast bowlers of the 1980s. They were athletic but Holding has noted on commentary that they didn't dive in the field as many players today - should they have not been picked. In Test matches, fielding should be a low priority. Furthermore, the main priority with fielding should be taking catches - which he does well; he has a safe pair of hands. I understand that there is more to Test bowling than bowling at 140kph, but with the seam movement and accuracy that he has, it should be enough to have him in the second string of pace bowlers before resorting to three spinners - something which I regard as a negative tactic.

Why are you unsure about Praveen Kumar and VRV Singh? Praveen Kumar is a superbly talented bowler who has done it in the four day game. From what I saw in the Duleep Trophy final, VRV Singh has the ability to take wickets at all levels. His length is erratic and he extracts little lateral movement, but he always probes the corridor, which means lots of runs off drives (especially on flat pitches), but also lots of wickets!

Munaf's bowling was good,i do not deny that fact.He bowled very well in the few limited chances he got Downunder. But,i'll stick to the fielding and committment issue.
Also,when you say that the Windies never dived in the 80's,you need to understand that during those days,fielding was not given as much importance as it is given today.

Praveen Kumar-I meant,I do not know how well he'll fare in Tests.He does swing both ways in the ODIs'.

VRV Singh-I belive he has been given enough chances to prove himself.

Users who are viewing this thread