South Africa Tour of Pakistan 2021

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Having watched the highlights, I feel like I can almost see why you wouldn't pick him. Imagine if you end up with an entire generation of young players teaching themselves to bat like that

There are more than enough role models in the sub continent who have done things their way and produced results. Just because the west perceives a certain way to play or do anything in life doesn't make it the only way.

It is the biggest lesson in life where you need to explore things by yourself and see what works for you. I am not saying that a copybook player like Williamson is any lesser a player or inferior in any way, I am just saying that there are many ways of making runs and Fawad's is one of them.

I know of a lot of copybook players who would have succumbed to the injustice meted out to him for a decade and even if they made it till here, they'd be bitter. What good is the copybook then? Fawad and Williamson's success is down to their mental strength and resilience, not their technique.

The amount of scrutiny that surrounded MS Dhoni's batting and keeping in his formative years was abysmal and if we read some of them now, it's hilarious. Who ended up as the greatest finisher and keeper of all time?

EDIT- This is not a comparison post. Just used Williamson as an example.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Agree. If you follow SA cricket, can you tell me why Ngidi is so highly rated? I've never found him great?

I honestly think he will be at the least a level below the very top tier SA bowlers if he achieves his potential. The main thing stopping him is fitness issues. On paper, he is tall, quick and has plenty of subtle variations to keep batsmen guessing.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Tough chance at slip, but no excuse for shelling it. I feel this pressure by the bowlers will go unrewarded.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Can feel the window slipping away. Markram and Rassie getting more comfort by each ball.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
I honestly think he will be at the least a level below the very top tier SA bowlers if he achieves his potential. The main thing stopping him is fitness issues. On paper, he is tall, quick and has plenty of subtle variations to keep batsmen guessing.

I think he will at best be like a Makhaya Ntini in the red ball format but I genuinely feel he's a terrible white ball bowler.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
There are more than enough role models in the sub continent who have done things their way and produced results. Just because the west perceives a certain way to play or do anything in life doesn't make it the only way.
There's really no need to turn this into an "East vs West" thing. I've also explained the issues that exist with Fawad's technique, the issues they're likely to cause against Test standard bowling, and why I'd pick him regardless. But you know, don't let that get in the way of a good narrative.
It is the biggest lesson in life where you need to explore things by yourself and see what works for you. I am not saying that a copybook player like Williamson is any lesser a player or inferior in any way, I am just saying that there are many ways of making runs and Fawad's is one of them.
Not disagreeing - just saying it's not one that you'd ever teach a young player to do.
I know of a lot of copybook players who would have succumbed to the injustice meted out to him for a decade and even if they made it till here, they'd be bitter. What good is the copybook then? Fawad and Williamson's success is down to their mental strength and resilience, not their technique.
Yes, Fawad is admirable.
The amount of scrutiny that surrounded MS Dhoni's batting and keeping in his formative years was abysmal and if we read some of them now, it's hilarious. Who ended up as the greatest finisher and keeper of all time?
Best finisher - I would say Virat Kohli is better than Dhoni ever was. Although not a classical finisher, he usually hangs around for long enough to be a finisher.
Best gloveman - Very subjective, but against spinners I'd agree with you about Dhoni. Against seamers, possibly Godfrey Evans. Although I do want to be a meme and say Niall O'Brien

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Finally a wicket. Can’t concede a lead of more than 150. The pitch seems to have gotten a little easier, paradoxically, but i know deep down that we'll have a collapse in the 4th innings.

Aislabie

Ireland
Here's something I find weird - a team sends out a night watchman for the last 20 minutes or so. If another wicket falls from the very next delivery, why send out the same batsman you were so determined to protect a moment ago?

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
De Kock is the key wicket here. We made a good comeback with 3 quick wickets, but he can easily take the game away with support from Bavuma and Linde. Will have to bowl them out in the first session tomorrow.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
There's really no need to turn this into an "East vs West" thing. I've also explained the issues that exist with Fawad's technique, the issues they're likely to cause against Test standard bowling, and why I'd pick him regardless. But you know, don't let that get in the way of a good narrative.

Not disagreeing - just saying it's not one that you'd ever teach a young player to do.

Yes, Fawad is admirable.

Best finisher - I would say Virat Kohli is better than Dhoni ever was. Although not a classical finisher, he usually hangs around for long enough to be a finisher.
Best gloveman - Very subjective, but against spinners I'd agree with you about Dhoni. Against seamers, possibly Godfrey Evans. Although I do want to be a meme and say Niall O'Brien

Okay, may be I shouldn't have mentioned west/east but it really felt like that. My bad.

I'd never teach a young player just one thing- Trying to be someone else. I think we have learnt it the hard way in India and it isn't just related to cricket matters.

Check Virat Kohli's record in ICC knockouts or finals and compare that to Dhoni's.

I don't think there's been a wicketkeeper like MS but I agree with you in the sense that it can be a matter of opinion. You would still agree though that with his technique, he was always safe as houses behind the stumps.

I personally don't think a package like Dhoni i.e a keeper, finisher and captain has ever graced our game. His value is in my opinion only seen once before and that was Imran Khan.
Post automatically merged:

Coming back to the game, Pakistan need to be careful. They don't want to be chasing anything beyond 150.

Bevab

Staff Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Here's something I find weird - a team sends out a night watchman for the last 20 minutes or so. If another wicket falls from the very next delivery, why send out the same batsman you were so determined to protect a moment ago?

The weirder thing is that Bavuma, who actually is competent at grinding and looking worth all the money in the world before getting dismissed for a valiant thirty is still in the shed. Surely this is the ideal scenario for him?

Aislabie

Ireland
The weirder thing is that Bavuma, who actually is competent at grinding and looking worth all the money in the world before getting dismissed for a valiant thirty is still in the shed. Surely this is the ideal scenario for him?
Oh for sure, that was the perfect match situation to send Bavuma out there for

Perfect Square

No Corners
PAK...
CSK
LQ
MS
Sydney Sixers
Brisbane Heat
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I have thought a lot about this before.

What I think is maybe the team who sends the player as a night watchman gambles thinking that night watchman won't be much useful with the bat on the grand scale of things later down the tail end. It's like if that night watchman survives. Then well and good you achieved your purpose. But if it doesn't then it doesn't matter, the batsman who was padding would come now anyways.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Need to break this partnership as soon as possible. 150 will be a daunting target.

Users who are viewing this thread