Steam update for DBC17 released

Have been thinking a bit about the bowled and lbw issue and how thats probably related to the error margin so here's a suggestion, although I have no idea how viable it is re putting out in a patch or build. How about linking the length colour/picking up of the length to the judgement stat, which seems not to do anything at the moment- the length reading is always 100% even for Courtney Walsh. If the judgement affected how accurately one picked up length, that might solve a whole lot of problems. So now you have tail enders playing back and missing full balls etc. It would also make things a whole lot more interesting in career mode as your judgement improves and you learn to trust your "instincts" more and more as you develop as a player.

We are talking more about bowling the AI batsman, not getting bowled yourself. That is possible. But yes it would be nice if you could be mislead a bit by an incorrect length.

Please Improve Wrong animation of stump out . This is Disaster

This type of AI fielding Happening many times in a custumized 60 over led day 3 day game

Does this mean that not outs issue resolved as well with this release?
I checked today again the not out is still not getting considered while showing average while player comes out to bat.
But there is no issues when you check under my career player.
Kindly fix it...

I'm assuming the stat would apply to all batsmen including AI.
It'd not just length, though. Prediction of line is perhaps more important and, for bowled opportunities, whether the batter is playing close to their pads or not. It's a difficult one to solve as it seems that changing the factors to favour one sort of dismissal, a little more, will have a knock-on effect on other dismissal types. We can only guess at how it is coded and I'm 100% sure BA are way better than us at coming up with ways to make appropriate adjustments.

That said, I'd love it if there was a bit more evidence of a good bowling spell (going passed the edge a few times in an over, good line and length not allowing the batter to free their arms, nicked edges that don't quite carry, back-to-back maidens, restricting runs with a required run rate creeping up, sharp turn from spinners not being read, ball starting to swing, etc.) making the likelihood of a wicket increase a bit. Not making it certain...we still want those recoveries of run rate after defensively seeing off the new ball, for instance...but just more of a pattern that if you bowl well, wickets are more likely; if you bowl poorly or the batter gets in, then it should become harder to get them out. Certainly not suggesting that it becomes formulaic: bowl two maidens = 1 wicket...just that the odds of a mistake edge up a bit. And the mistakes should be things like increased errors in judging line or length, reaching for wide deliveries that they should have left, playing away from the body, picking the wrong ball to attempt to hit for a boundary, clumsy defensive pushes granting edges or bat-pad chances, playing with the pads to a ball that goes straight...essentially all the things I do whenever I'm batting in DBC17, no matter how many hours I put in.

It'd not just length, though. Prediction of line is perhaps more important and, for bowled opportunities, whether the batter is playing close to their pads or not. It's a difficult one to solve as it seems that changing the factors to favour one sort of dismissal, a little more, will have a knock-on effect on other dismissal types. We can only guess at how it is coded and I'm 100% sure BA are way better than us at coming up with ways to make appropriate adjustments.

That said, I'd love it if there was a bit more evidence of a good bowling spell (going passed the edge a few times in an over, good line and length not allowing the batter to free their arms, nicked edges that don't quite carry, back-to-back maidens, restricting runs with a required run rate creeping up, sharp turn from spinners not being read, ball starting to swing, etc.) making the likelihood of a wicket increase a bit. Not making it certain...we still want those recoveries of run rate after defensively seeing off the new ball, for instance...but just more of a pattern that if you bowl well, wickets are more likely; if you bowl poorly or the batter gets in, then it should become harder to get them out. Certainly not suggesting that it becomes formulaic: bowl two maidens = 1 wicket...just that the odds of a mistake edge up a bit. And the mistakes should be things like increased errors in judging line or length, reaching for wide deliveries that they should have left, playing away from the body, picking the wrong ball to attempt to hit for a boundary, clumsy defensive pushes granting edges or bat-pad chances, playing with the pads to a ball that goes straight...essentially all the things I do whenever I'm batting in DBC17, no matter how many hours I put in.
I definitely think good bowling brings wickets in the game. I've had instances where it seems like a shot comes from frustration caused by keeping it tight.

I've played around with judgement and other skills just to see what difference it makes. I've only played one game but it felt more balanced.

Mate, I'm with you on all this. I think line and length can both be linked to judgement, if thats the path one chooses. It'd just be nice to see players being subject to those vagaries- not even Bradman judged length and line right 100% of the time unlike the lowliest tail ender here. Again, mino quibble, but maybe helps with the bowled issue as well? I guess BA is the best judge, as you said.

I'm playing my first ODI cause I wanted some more field settings to go on about. Anyway I just really wanted to share this cause it is one of those little things that even though it goes against you makes the game feel more real.

Virat Kohli kept sweeping my spinners to fine leg for 1. I put in a leg gully to put him off that idea. Next over the first three balls he faces: reverse sweeps for 4, launches a 111m six down the ground and then one over mid wicket. Fourth ball he puts one down the throat of deep cover point. I love it.

Last edited:
I do love this game: I had gulley but I felt he was too deep looking at the bounce of the ball so I brought him into a 7th slip position, slightly closer to the stumps....I was focusing on tempting the drive....four balls later I give it a bit of width, batsmen drives......caught at seventh slip with an outstretched dive that gulley would never have got to.....captain's instinct!

Last edited by a moderator:
not sure if this is a bug but started a career with Hampsted in the middlesex league and our home games are at Hampstead fields but get played at durban fields.Similarly in different career the Mumbai indians play at the mcg.Also commentators often call the wrong names.I've mostly downloaded get best.

not sure if this is a bug but started a career with Hampsted in the middlesex league and our home games are at Hampstead fields but get played at durban fields.Similarly in different career the Mumbai indians play at the mcg.Also commentators often call the wrong names.I've mostly downloaded get best.
Your problem is get best. It is not necessarily the "best". Many of those teams were created way back at release and never updated

I finished my ODI and lost after a pathetic batting display. The AI got 240. If I hadn't got them down to 23 for 3 early on there's a good chance 300 would've been on the cards. Fields were good and scoring rates from the AI were. It was very good.

It got me thinking though, this business with not enough bowleds or lbw. Could it be solved by just moving the default guard of the batsman? After putting in a lot of overs I know how it must be like to bowl to Steve Smith, except there are 11 of them. Wide on the offside gets punished, anything on middle and leg gets flicked away down the legside, if you hit the pads the batsman has already taken a stride to get out of the line. I do the same when I bat. I do change guard, but a tap on the left stick takes them too far, I'd rather they went only a little to one side.

Here is a poor diagram of what I mean.

in30TeP.png

Users who are viewing this thread