Steam update for DBC17 released

The good

I love the back foot game play and the spinners bowling short. It opens up a lot of the game that wasn't there before
Mentalities seem to be having an effect enough for me, with playing around with some sliders.
Nicks off a defensive shot are great (and a massive part of test cricket).
Bat pads are a nice addition
I think bowler stamina is improved, but I ramp the speed up a bit anyway so maybe it is just me.
Edges are great and varied.

The bad

The obvious inability to get a clean bowled (in my experience, in tests), or an LBW takes about half of the game of cricket away for me.
Bat pads come far too often now and only when driving.

I don't really care for T20 cricketainment or online gaming but for those that do, well I hope you have found positive results. I mainly bowl so haven't been able to look at fields that much.
I'm gonna have another bowl in test tonight and see if there is much difference on pro. Having bowled two innings on legend and had all catches it does feel a little unrealistic.

I'm gonna have another bowl in test tonight and see if there is much difference on pro. Having bowled two innings on legend and had all catches it does feel a little unrealistic.
Something I've been wondering. When BA made the game did they create it with some sort of optimismed settings and for some of the higher settings it is just wrong. In other words for example having your settings on pro and batting and bowling on medium would produce more variety of dismissals, mentalities working in a specific way and a more accurate depiction of cricket

Something I've been wondering. When BA made the game did they create it with some sort of optimismed settings and for some of the higher settings it is just wrong. In other words for example having your settings on pro and batting and bowling on medium would produce more variety of dismissals, mentalities working in a specific way and a more accurate depiction of cricket

If they have, I don't think any of us have found it yet. I think the game was done with the ability for anyone at any level to score runs and take wickets and have a good game of cricket, but the subtle realism and tactics has to be sort of eked out. It's not an easy game to replicate at all.

If they have, I don't think any of us have found it yet. I think the game was done with the ability for anyone at any level to score runs and take wickets and have a good game of cricket, but the subtle realism and tactics has to be sort of eked out. It's not an easy game to replicate at all.
Being an avid follower of both cricket and baseball, my impression is that cricket is much more complex. Not just the LBW decisions, or how conditions affect play, but the sheer variety of shots possible in cricket makes it much more diverse.

baseball-field-territory.gif

In baseball (above), around 270 degrees of the circle is foul territory meaning the shots made there don't count in terms that benefit the batting team. In cricket we've got the sweep, late cut, inside and outside edges, pull shot, leg glance etc. which dramatically complexify the game. Tough to be a cricket game developer in that regard.

Being an avid follower of both cricket and baseball, my impression is that cricket is much more complex. Not just the LBW decisions, or how conditions affect play, but the sheer variety of shots possible in cricket makes it much more diverse.

In baseball (above), around 270 degrees of the circle is foul territory meaning the shots made there don't count in terms that benefit the batting team. In cricket we've got the sweep, late cut, inside and outside edges, pull shot, leg glance etc. which dramatically complexify the game. Tough to be a cricket game developer in that regard.

And then you add in the fact that baseball only has one format compared to three and you see the monumental task that Big Ant has. If they decided to focus purely on T20 then I reckon they could absolutely nail that format but I appreciate them trying so hard for test lovers like myself as well.

Last edited:

Yeah I follow both and I don't think conditions play such a factor in baseball either, and there aren't so many forms of dismissal. And I imagine a cricket game doesn't exactly make much money. We're okay to come this far.

Yeah this is what dynamic lineups are what @wasteyouryouth mentioned.. For this i am crying for.. @jaffar100 what you said is basically different teams across different formats eith a few tweaks in batting order.. Thats already there.. Not these much chanes in XI but yeah changes are there but not in the same XI in same format.. That is what is needed

Bro, all I can say is as someone who's a long time lurker, plays only career and agrees with you on dynamic lineups adding value, you're still clogging up way too much space with these repeated posts. Please share your bank details. I am willing to pay you your refund. Happily. Just for the love of Wg Grace, stop with the 9 bazillion posts about the same tweaking feature fcs

My view is that in terms of gameplay, which despite what some people think is the most important thing, the AI is not competitive enough. Some of this can be solved with simple changes. Field settings in limited overs: it needs to be ensured that the field placements it has to select from are more appropriate. When you're facing three men out it can be too easy to hit over the top or even through the field into gaps. I think even if the AI posts 135-150 in a T20 it'd be a real challenge to chase when they're putting five fielders outside the circle for longer than just the last three or four overs.

The more complex is stuff is that across the board AI batting seems weak. In limited overs their is a lack of AI aggression in T20. When you feel like you're staring down 170 you end up only conceding 140-50. Maybe I'm just amazing at death bowling but after the powerplay it never feels like a point will come when the game will be taken away from you either from consistent aggression or a real slog in the last five overs. Maybe some of this is to do with the confidence of new batsman in that they're less likely to play big shots if they only just come in.

I've seen some differences with playing around with batsman mentalities but the sort of average scores never seem to change.

I've only played a little test cricket in the game but the impression I get is that the top order of teams are too vulnerable thus creating the low scores.

I really love bowling on this game but it still feels more a case of when not if you'll get the next wicket. There's a couple of minor changes I'd like to see (making it possible to keep the bowling hud to choose the delivery but having it hidden or switching it off during the delivery. However I've got a custom setting for bowling difficulty and I get far fewer perfect deliveries now. The other is that the AI bowlers seem to have a few MPH less pace than when I use them. I think it's probably because they either vary the deliveries more or don't 'get' more perfect deliveries (I think this must slow the increase of their confidence too).

I don't know what everyone else thinks about batting but to me it's pretty good (when set on Hard difficult). I've increased the shot force on the modifiers which makes six hitting easier something that I really found to be nearly impossible unless I was playing with a batsmen with a very high Strength skill.

Fielding is fine (save for a few weird things - fielders backing up over the boundary line, keepers leaping all over the place).
When your bowling are you using manual fielding if not could you please try an innings with manual fielding thanks

When your bowling are you using manual fielding if not could you please try an innings with manual fielding thanks

But what difference would it make whatever the result of manual fielding? As an example I only use semi automatic fielding as I don't want to field and I would expect AI batting to be as competitive on automatic pr semi-automatic fielding as it is with manual fielding. If AI is not putting up a competitive total on semi-auto or auto option, it's something to be looked at and tweaked.

But what difference would it make whatever the result of manual fielding? As an example I only use semi automatic fielding as I don't want to field and I would expect AI batting to be as competitive on automatic pr semi-automatic fielding as it is with manual fielding. If AI is not putting up a competitive total on semi-auto or auto option, it's something to be looked at and tweaked.
I had stopped playing because of poor AI I went back to play yesterday and decided to play using manual fielding anr it was a different experience AI made 3/325 in 50 overs no lob shots no cheap wickets really good batting I know manual fielding is a bit dodgy there were about 50 runs worth of overthrows but still I didn't get what normally happens give it a try and let me know what happens by the way I'm playing with patch 3 legend difficulty hardest batting and Bowling difficulties cheers

I had stopped playing because of poor AI I went back to play yesterday and decided to play using manual fielding anr it was a different experience AI made 3/325 in 50 overs no lob shots no cheap wickets really good batting I know manual fielding is a bit dodgy there were about 50 runs worth of overthrows but still I didn't get what normally happens give it a try and let me know what happens by the way I'm playing with patch 3 legend difficulty hardest batting and Bowling difficulties cheers

But extra runs due to dodgy manual fielding shouldn't cover for the lack of competitive AI. I can get some good matches with self imposed house rules about not playing certain shots or not hitting lofted shots in a certain area, or by simply simulating AI's batting and chasing the target score but that takes away from the game and you get fed up after some time. I would rather Big Ant be given the feedback that AI batting is still not that competitive and they try to tweak the AI batting than the PC/Steam opt for manual fielding to get competitive games.

But extra runs due to dodgy manual fielding shouldn't cover for the lack of competitive AI. I can get some good matches with self imposed house rules about not playing certain shots or not hitting lofted shots in a certain area, or by simply simulating AI's batting and chasing the target score but that takes away from the game and you get fed up after some time. I would rather Big Ant be given the feedback that AI batting is still not that competitive and they try to tweak the AI batting than the PC/Steam opt for manual fielding to get competitive games.
I am not saying that we should opt to use manual fielding I agree that the AI needs to be fixed its my biggest issue I have with the game plus at the moment with manual fielding it takes 5 minutes in DBC time to bowl an over instead of 4 and you get slow over rates plus its very sloppy to use and needs to be also fixed what I am saying that it was a different experience to using semi fielding which overall I find weird that its not all the same using different methods of fielding it was mainly to see if other people were having the same experience and my main point has manual fielding been tweaked in the latest builds on PC

@cricket_online also it was the fact that the AI did play good cricket no lob shots no cheap wickets which the actual dodgy manual fielding didn't really have much to do with it overall the AI batted better when set to manual fielding which like I said is weird give it a try so you understand what I mean

Under career mode even though you play good or not career skill points achieved remains same...man of the match also no extra rewards.
It would be good to change this and the skill points should be given based on runs we score and wickets we take.

Ex:
Batting per innings:

0-25 runs 1000 points
25-50 runs 2000 points
50-75 runs 3000 points
75-100 runs 4000 points
100 or 100+ runs 5000 points

Bowling per innings:

1 wkts 1000 points
2 wkts 2000 points
3 wkts 3000 points
4 wkts 4000 points
5 or 5+ wkts 5000 points

This would get averaged also more realistic instead of constant points always .

When moving to higher levels like county , international same ratio can be maintained to give the points.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread