Steve Bucknor Dropped from third test

Well Malcolm Speed on the radio has just confirmed that Bucknor was dropped to appease the Indians. He said it wasn't due to ICC concerns over his performance - it was because India wanted him gone...

Wow to do it is one thing, but to confirm it?

That's appalling. Malcom Speed and his cronies can catch the last bus home. I think living in a country where islands are made to look like a palm tree plays on whether one has any sense of reality.

Wow to do it is one thing, but to confirm it?

That's appalling. Malcom Speed and his cronies can catch the last bus home. I think living in a country where islands are made to look like a palm tree plays on whether one has any sense of reality.

I suppose they're desperate to see some cricket being played. I sort of agree with that but dropping an umpire for those reasons is a bit silly. The fact that Bucknor didn't have a great match would have been fair but to drop him because India wanted him dropped is poor.

You could tell Speed (for those who watched the interview) was relitivly pissed off with India, in the end the ICC just want the tour to go ahead.

Otherwise more issues would have been brought to the surface if Bucknor wasn't dropped. Smart decision in a way but now it sets a precident for teams who are unhappy with the umpriring just to 'pull out' of the series to get thier way..:rolleyes:

Well Malcolm Speed on the radio has just confirmed that Bucknor was dropped to appease the Indians. He said it wasn't due to ICC concerns over his performance - it was because India wanted him gone...
Umm... that's a poor decision then. Especially since there were plenty of other reasons that would have been less controversial.

Malcolm Speed clearly wants to show that he's the boss. But he got owned by the BCCI...

I agree... neither side would like this kind of thing and it shows poor diplomacy.

Maybe they could have made it out as though Bucknor voluntarily resigned from the next Test? That would have really helped Bucknor out and not embittered this issue further?

The West Indian Cricket board is really angry over Bucknor's dismissal.

Read here: http://uk.reuters.com/article/sportsNews/idUKDEL18387520080109

Malcolm Speed is not the best Guy ever, so is bucknor, and so is Faisal Iqbal.

I did like Bucknor, during the Ashes i thought he did a wonderful job. But he has been brought to shame by his eyes and ears.

the dropping of am umpire because india went off is wrong. we all know the umpire has the last say.this is another time the icc has fell over in favor of week teams.ie cambells run out in the west indies the west indies board should have taken control emptied the ground not called the batsman back,ranatungas walk off when murlithuan was called for throwing what do the icc do change the rules so the man with worst action ever to play the game can play .

It's funny because I seem to remember people being upset with Bowden after the 1st test :) He made some mistakes then, he often does. Honestly, I find Billy as a pretty bad umpire, but certainly Bucknor had to go.

Umm... that's a poor decision then. Especially since there were plenty of other reasons that would have been less controversial.
Agreed. It just says a lot about how powerful the BCCI has become. His performance was enough.

Last edited:
Agreed. It just says a lot about how powerful the BCCI has become. His performance was enough.
The worst part is when I read the posts of Indian fans who rejoice at this fact. I cringe every time I hear an Indian fan talking up how big and powerful the BCCI is.

The worst part is when I read the posts of Indian fans who rejoice at this fact. I cringe every time I hear an Indian fan talking up how big and powerful the BCCI is.

You know something? the main reason why we react like that is the sense of rankling injustice and the undeniable provocation by the Australian fans over here. I called a truce yesterday and I'm willing to move on, but it seems that the random attack on Indian cricket and India in general will continue on this forum.

Is this forum anti-India? I'm sure it's not but that's been the feeling I've been getting of late... with even neutral fans taking unjust digs at India over anything at all.

I believe that all's fair in love and war... but it seems that some of the people dishing it out cannot take anything back.

My sole intention is to remain friendly with members of this forum, no matter what their nationality, but some people are making that extremely difficult. (I'm not going to name anybody specific, but people who've been reading posts over here pretty much know what's been going on)

Last edited:
You know something? the main reason why we react like that is the sense of rankling injustice and the undeniable provocation by the Australian fans over here. I called a truce yesterday and I'm willing to move on, but it seems that the random attack on Indian cricket and India in general will continue on this forum.

Is this forum anti-India? I'm sure it's not but that's been the feeling I've been getting of late... with even neutral fans taking unjust digs at India over anything at all.

I believe that all's fair in love and war... but it seems that some of the people dishing it out cannot take anything back.

My sole intention is to remain friendly with members of this forum, no matter what their nationality, but some people are making that extremely difficult. (I'm not going to name anybody specific, but people who've been reading posts over here pretty much know what's been going on)
Sure, but bringing up the power of the BCCI won't help a situation anyhow. It's just a retaliation which is completely unrelated to most topics of discussion. In fact, if anything, bringing up the power of the BCCI fuels the anti-India trolling.

Sure, but bringing up the power of the BCCI won't help a situation anyhow. It's just a retaliation which is completely unrelated to most topics of discussion. In fact, if anything, bringing up the power of the BCCI fuels the anti-India trolling.

I totally agree. The BCCI is a much-hated body even in India at most times. Even I've been against the BCCI in their bullying tactics over the ICL.

I was just trying to explain the reason as I saw it, why the power of the BCCI is being brought up in these discussion.

Because the level of debate has reduced to "my daddy stronger than your daddy" and I don't think the fault lies on just one side.

the dropping of am umpire because india went off is wrong. we all know the umpire has the last say.this is another time the icc has fell over in favor of week teams.ie cambells run out in the west indies the west indies board should have taken control emptied the ground not called the batsman back,ranatungas walk off when murlithuan was called for throwing what do the icc do change the rules so the man with worst action ever to play the game can play .

It was a sensible decision. Bucknor had to go so that series and match could go on. Imagine if Bucknor had made blunder at Perth? He would have been forced to resign. The ICC has not only saved the mans career but saved a diplomatic situation which could have developed among countries.

I think the underlying issue is that both sides must have confidence in the match officials. If something happens where the match official loses his credibility in either side's eyes, it should be sorted out regardless of any rules or regulations. And especially where the tensions on-field were so high as in this case.

What the ICC did was right, but the manner in which they did it could have been better.

Users who are viewing this thread