Suggestions / Ideas / Wishlist

Muhammad Saad said:
Hi LM
I have an idea about spin technology in the game,when a bowler ready to release a ball there should be a timer (eg 2 sec for normal spinners and 3 sec for good spinner) to rotate a ball pressing left or right arrow keys repeatedly eg when we press left arrow key for leg spinner 15 times its should equal to 15 revolution and if we press right arrow key for again same leg spinner 15 times its should equal B/W 4 to 10 revolutions depending upon the amount of googly from that leg spinner ,and same for up arrow key for flipper ,same rules for off spinner

I think u Might be able to understand what I m trying to say
This idea also affect fatigue on ur fingers and it feels like actually bowling
good idea mate, This cud be apply for fast bowlers off and leg cutters by decreasing timer to 1 or 0.5seconds

Muhammad Saad said:
Hi LM
I have an idea about spin technology in the game,when a bowler ready to release a ball there should be a timer (eg 2 sec for normal spinners and 3 sec for good spinner) to rotate a ball pressing left or right arrow keys repeatedly eg when we press left arrow key for leg spinner 15 times its should equal to 15 revolution and if we press right arrow key for again same leg spinner 15 times its should equal B/W 4 to 10 revolutions depending upon the amount of googly from that leg spinner ,and same for up arrow key for flipper ,same rules for off spinner

I think u Might be able to understand what I m trying to say
This idea also affect fatigue on ur fingers and it feels like actually bowling

Good idea, but it causes accessibility problems (some people's fingers won't be able to take the strain). Also, people do that sort of thing at different speeds so some would find it easier.

And don't forget, you won't get a break in between overs (unless LM, are you implementing autoplay?) so you could be pounding those keys for an hour on end. Don't think the keyboard would like it either.

Zorax, drift is more about how you move your arm during your action. If you swing you arm more round from the right, you get some away drift.
Its devestating with off-breaks and googlies.

so if thats difficult to apply then it should be like that ,when bowler ready to release the bowl there should random numbers of revolutions at vary speed for different bowlers max number should be 20rev for best spinner and should different for different bowlers, and min should be 2 or 4 and we just press button at the right time,this will remove strain of fingers

and for swing my idea is
there should be 6 combination of arrow keys for eg ,for out swing six combinations are (down,right,up),(r,u,d),(u,d,r),(d,u,r),(d,r,u),(u,r,d) and bowler have figure the right one to get the most swing (combination should be random for each bowl) and only 2 combination are true , for finding first one u get most swing on that bowl ,for finding second one u get little swing and if u fail to figure out u fail to swing the ball (for new ball there will be only 3 combination out of which two are correct so greater chance for swing the ball )

Last edited:
Muhammad Saad said:
and for swing my idea is
there should be 6 combination of arrow keys for eg ,for out swing six combinations are (down,right,up),(r,u,d),(u,d,r),(d,u,r),(d,r,u),(u,r,d) and bowler have figure the right one to get the most swing (combination should be random for each bowl) and only 2 combination are true , for finding first one u get most swing on that bowl ,for finding second one u get little swing and if u fail to figure out u fail to swing the ball (for new ball there will be only 3 combination out of which two are correct so greater chance for swing the ball )

I'm a bit unsure of that, bowling is about skill, trying to decieve the batsman, not about whether you press the right buttons. Also, this completely eliminates the effect of the conditions.

RabbleRouser said:
I\'m a bit unsure of that, bowling is about skill, trying to decieve the batsman, not about whether you press the right buttons. Also, this completely eliminates the effect of the conditions.
It will not eliminate conditions.depending upon the nature of the pitch we will get turn.
I think his idea can be put under Manual Bowling.This would be the first time introduction of manual bowling in cricket game.

muhammad i like the lines along which you are thinking, but there are a lot of logistical problems in your suggestion. it just wont work. i think Brian Lara's swing system is pretty decent. it can be modified to our liking, like with this shiny/not shiny side suggestion and the like.
i think i remember LM suggesting somewhere that there would be an animation /picture showing how the ball is held in the hand, at the top of the screen

dhruvdeepak said:
muhammad i like the lines along which you are thinking, but there are a lot of logistical problems in your suggestion. it just wont work. i think Brian Lara's swing system is pretty decent. it can be modified to our liking, like with this shiny/not shiny side suggestion and the like.
i think i remember LM suggesting somewhere that there would be an animation /picture showing how the ball is held in the hand, at the top of the screen

yeah that's right...i like the idea (think it was Rabblerouser's suggestion) of choosing which side to face where, so i may have like a 3d ball animated icon in the top where you are more or less showing how you are holding the ball - but will probably be based on a default choice of bowling types, but similar to batting in that if your player has no skill level in a bolwing type then it wont be available to choose from. The bowl types he will be able to choose will be available, and upon selection will pop up this 3d ball which will show how the ball is being held in the bowler's hand. So if you shoose inswinger as your delivery type, for example, he will hold the ball as if to do an inswinger. You shouldn't have too much control over what the ball will do, but enough that a real bowler would have. What i mean by this is when a player bowls a delivery, no-one can get it exactly where he wants every time and get it to do exactly what he wants every time, it just doesn't work like that. So you can choose what kind of delivery you want to bowl, and can choose to give it a bit power variance (based on that delivery type), but how much it ends up swinging will depend on so many other factors as well as the player's "inswing stat" for example...i haven't decided yet if i'll allow the user to change the default angle of the ball etc. in the hand grip icon, or if the default will be locked in...is it necessary to change it? Id like some more feedback on this...im not a bowler and dont know all the science behind it, just a very general knowledge and what i have read...i have obviously bowled before, but am not an expert on swing etc....

I think reverse swing will be very uncontrollable, as in real life..players will have a stat for reverse swing, but it will be very hard to pull off and will only come off if many factors are all successful and present, such as ball condition, pitch conditions, weather, stats etc.

LM

legend_master said:
yeah that's right...i like the idea (think it was Rabblerouser's suggestion) of choosing which side to face where, so i may have like a 3d ball animated icon in the top where you are more or less showing how you are holding the ball - but will probably be based on a default choice of bowling types, but similar to batting in that if your player has no skill level in a bolwing type then it wont be available to choose from. The bowl types he will be able to choose will be available, and upon selection will pop up this 3d ball which will show how the ball is being held in the bowler's hand. So if you shoose inswinger as your delivery type, for example, he will hold the ball as if to do an inswinger. You shouldn't have too much control over what the ball will do, but enough that a real bowler would have. What i mean by this is when a player bowls a delivery, no-one can get it exactly where he wants every time and get it to do exactly what he wants every time, it just doesn't work like that. So you can choose what kind of delivery you want to bowl, and can choose to give it a bit power variance (based on that delivery type), but how much it ends up swinging will depend on so many other factors as well as the player's "inswing stat" for example...i haven't decided yet if i'll allow the user to change the default angle of the ball etc. in the hand grip icon, or if the default will be locked in...is it necessary to change it? Id like some more feedback on this...im not a bowler and dont know all the science behind it, just a very general knowledge and what i have read...i have obviously bowled before, but am not an expert on swing etc....

I think reverse swing will be very uncontrollable, as in real life..players will have a stat for reverse swing, but it will be very hard to pull off and will only come off if many factors are all successful and present, such as ball condition, pitch conditions, weather, stats etc.

LM
Hi LM
you should know even in green top and swing condition not every ball swings even the bowler is master of swing ,it swing normally 3 or 4 out of 6 times(In BLIC every bowler swing every ball ,very unrealstic) so if the balls swing always it does'nt sound real ,so thats why I gave idea of combination system, for good bowlers there should be only few combinations to figure out and also bowlers have swing stats not how oftenly they swing the ball but how much they got the swing from ball

Last edited:
IMO the swing should be uncontrollable.i guess someone already said this but still. cause when the ball is released from our hands, we are unsure how much the ball is gonna swing. so i suggest you not to make a swing meter. ;)

jk16_4 said:
IMO the swing should be uncontrollable.i guess someone already said this but still. cause when the ball is released from our hands, we are unsure how much the ball is gonna swing. so i suggest you not to make a swing meter. ;)
Yes He knows it already

DOnt put swing meter.Just give angle of approach,and let the ball doitslef off the pitch.

But i dont like shiny idea as suggested by rabble.Bcoz the new ball will have both the sides shiny and it swings.
Rabble thinks that there should be only one side shiny to swing the ball.nOO
His idea is useful when reverse swing.When reverse swinging the ball swings towards the rough side.

Actually most of the time ball seams off the pitch for the first 1-10 overs.

Only in some conditions ther will be swing thought the day(it shud be very rare).Mostly that type of swing occurs in NZ pitches.

But dont make to swing in NZ pitches everytime.Sometimes NZ piches also become batting friendly just like England\\\\\\\'s now.

I think LM knows all these basics .So leave it to him.

I want to know about AI captaincy

Last edited:
You should choose which way you want the ball to swing (because not only do you change the grip, you have to change your action a little bit to help the ball swing).

I think the user should choose where the seam is positioned because then you can do scrambled seam deliveries for one thing. Its much harder to implement than the default seam, but it is much more fun (hours spent fiddling around in Nets mode with where the seam is).

Oh yeah, how are you implementing seaming? That is even more unpredictable than swing. Like swing, in BLIC it is far too much. The ball should only move occaisonaly and only on green or damp pitches.

embi said:
You should choose which way you want the ball to swing (because not only do you change the grip, you have to change your action a little bit to help the ball swing).

I think the user should choose where the seam is positioned because then you can do scrambled seam deliveries for one thing. Its much harder to implement than the default seam, but it is much more fun (hours spent fiddling around in Nets mode with where the seam is).

Oh yeah, how are you implementing seaming? That is even more unpredictable than swing. Like swing, in BLIC it is far too much. The ball should only move occaisonaly and only on green or damp pitches.
Seaming is more easier to implement.Its just a deviation of the pitch which every bowler may get and if the bowler bowls to a perfect line n length when seaming,then he will get wickets(faint edges).

I think a bowler shud have these options
1)How to hold the grip of the ball (scrambled or along the seam) (I dont like this option)
2)ROlling the fingers over just like slow off spin deliveries
3ANy more?

The ball should move on all surfaces not only green and damp.Even in Indian pitches u get seam movement for the first 1-10 overs but since the pitches are slow ,batsman will adjust easily.

And one more point

Kokaburra balls are very very very harder to reverse swing.

Duke balls are very helpful for swing.

embi said:
Zorax, drift is more about how you move your arm during your action. If you swing you arm more round from the right, you get some away drift.
Its devestating with off-breaks and googlies.
So my wrist isn't helping?
That means I have a killer action to get in-drift :)

legend_master said:

LM

Lot of potential problems pop up with this question of swing and seam.
Here is my formula of the options a bowler should have in the game.
a) angle of delivery. this is two-fold.
1) from where on the crease the bowler delivers the ball. maybe you could have 2 options for each side of the wicket. over the wicket, the bowler can bowl from wide of the crease, or more orthodox, closer to the umpire. same for around the wicket.
2) where the bowler wants to pitch the ball. here i think you have to strike the balance between a few things. you want the bowler to have some sort of control over where he is pitching it, this obviously depends on the bowler's particular skill, but there should be some element of skill in the player himself putting the ball where he intends to.
A side-note on this: one quarrel i have with cric 2005 and BLIC is that as a batsman, you know where the ball is going to pitch way too early. this is not a problem if you are bowling against the PC, but if you are playing multi-player, or are batting, it takes away the fun. i realize the obvious difficulty in managing this, so i suggest that the "marker" for where the ball will be placed come up as late as possible, like when the bowler has already jumped and is about to release the ball. the benefits of this? you require real control of your keyboard/gamepad as a bowler, and you dont see it as early as a batsman. of course, others will have a different point of view because they might be looking for a simple stress-free, uncomplicated hit out, or may want something even more hardcore. this is just my suggestion.

b) different types of deliveries based on how the bowler holds, releases the ball. for a fast bowler, depending on the various skills, you can conventionally swing the new ball, and/or you can seam it.
1) for conventional swing: you have to keep one side of the ball dry/shiny, and for outswing basically angle the ball towards the slips with the shiny side on the inside. you have to do the opposite for inswing.
the release of the ball has to be nice and 'clean', and the bowler has to sort of snap his wrist in order to impact back-spin on the ball i.e. the ball is rotating backwards in the air.
2) for reverse swing: one side of the ball needs to be shiny (this also takes some skill by the fielding team), while the other is worn, beat up, dirty and has had many different layers of spit. if delivered in a manner where the seam is rotating without scrambling (i dont think the angle the seam is directed towards matters), the ball will swing TOWARDS the SHINY side.
3) seam movement also involves a good wrist position and release. basically, tall bowlers get more favored seam movement, and obviously grass on the pitch helps the seam make contact with the pitch in such a way that it deviates. i dont think this is an assured thing every ball even for Glenn McGrath, even on grassy pitches, so you should factor that in.
For seam movement too, you need to have the straight seam you often see bowlers getting in intl cricket, but i personally think it depends a lot on how hard the bowler makes the ball hit the pitch as well.

So the big question, HOW are you going to incorporate all such things in your game? You're the best judge of that, but my advice is to keep it as simple as possible, while offering the best of these options.
The 'random' element i have heard you talk about (mostly in batting, but im hoping in the bowling as well)is a great idea which, i think will bring a lot of success to the game.

basically the 3d animated model is great. How about you have the 3d animated ball rotate, with the bowler having to push a key when it reaches the seam alignment he wants? Maybe you can vary the speed of this rotation according to the skill of the bowler? If he is a great McGrath, it will rotate slowly, but a part timer will not have that luxury.
This sort of thing will simplify everything for everyone. Those not interested in these nuances will just bowl however they feel like, without worrying about swing et al, and those that want to play with all these toys can enjoy and appreciate this.
Each bowler will have his own strengths, and it is up to the player to find them and use them to the best of his ability.
I agree with you that reverse swing is not a science. just keep a hidden stat for each bowler, and voila, if the ball is released with a good seam alignment, it might reverse swing. Obviously, the faster the bowler, the more the chances of reverse swing. This is not true for conventional swing though.

I think you can do something along similar lines for spin bowling, except that let the amount of turn depend on the spin stat of the bowler, the speed of the delivery (i.e. the flight imparted on the ball), the pitch, and obviously the type of delivery bowled. i always feel that when the ball is spinning along the axis of the seam, you get more spin (perhaps because you give the ball the chance of landing on the seam and it can grip more and hence spin more). This is just my observation though, from what I see in int'l cricket. My point is, you can use the rotating animated ball to help determine the amount of spin too.

I think the biggest hurdle to overcome is predictability. This is where other games are not realistic. So, if I am a batsman, there has to be a method devised where I get to know of all these details such as shiny side of the ball, amount of spin imparted, position of the seam, where the ball pitches...
in as real-life and real-time a manner as possible.
So maybe, i get to know the shiny side beforehand, when the bowler is just about to jump in his runup, because this is quite common. then i get to know the seam position after that, and where the ball is to pitch at a corresponding time. obviously, this is not easy to do, in fact damn near impossible, but the advantage of having it sort of a community project is that we can come up with the best possible steps together.

thnx for humoring my rant...

Users who are viewing this thread