Symonds racially abused vs India 5th ODI

The connection between Black people and monkey chants towards them being racist has been there for decades.

A great example is when John Barnes started playing football for Liverpool in England, he was the first black player. As a result the fans threw banana's at him and made monkey noises every single time he got the ball. It goes back to the slave era when we were convinced that black people evolved from monkey's but we evolved differently. Of course we all now know we evolved exactly the same etc, but the chans are still as racist as they were before.

i think they were showing their "dislike" because Australia absolutely slaughtered them all day and were seriously frustrated... fair enough on the frustrated part.. but no need to carry on about it..... get ready for the next match.

Probably why, been getting mullered all tour...

Anyway who's not racist these days? in cricket or whatever.....it's everywhere and it's not stopping that's probably the raw truth!

Definatly not stopping here what with the BNP running for elections pfft....

Just read an article on cricinfo about-Pakistan fans arrested for racial abuse,
I think Every where racist comments are used no body Including me can say we never have used racial abuses even in the the forums,those who are complaining need to check their own posts i read on the forum where somebody kept reffering to sreesanth as a monkey,

I Think this is the first instant in india and pakistan so no need for australians
who are known for racial abuses to tell us.

I Think vadodra should be banned and icc should ban all these grounds no matter if all the australian grounds are banned

Last edited:
The connection between Black people and monkey chants towards them being racist has been there for decades.

A great example is when John Barnes started playing football for Liverpool in England, he was the first black player. As a result the fans threw banana's at him and made monkey noises every single time he got the ball. It goes back to the slave era when we were convinced that black people evolved from monkey's but we evolved differently. Of course we all now know we evolved exactly the same etc, but the chans are still as racist as they were before.

I must say that I am shocked at the lack of disgust shown towards the behavior of those few Indian fans by some respected members here, especially after Animator's post explaining why its racist. Not to mention Hooper, who is black himself, has said it deeply offended him yet people failed to get a clue. Instead I see posts saying "who are you Aussies to tell us what is racist". Disgusting tbh.

If a white would have done it, it could have been called as racism. But why would those fans(Indians) who themselves are brown would consider themselves racially superior to another person who is brown and call him a monkey because of his skin colour. No doubt it was incredibly stupid of those fans and they should be banned but it doesn't make any sense to call it racism.

While racism is obviously unacceptable, to blame an entire nation for the actions of a minority is just as bad in my opinion. It happens in EVERY country unfortunately, so to label it to one nationality is just plain wrong.

If a white would have done it, it could have been called as racism. But why would those fans(Indians) who themselves are brown would consider themselves racially superior to another person who is brown and call him a monkey because of his skin colour. No doubt it was incredibly stupid of those fans and they should be banned but it doesn't make any sense to call it racism.

So to simplify your post, its okay for me to call a black person a monkey as opposed to a white person? Sorry, but no.

I never said it is ok. I said it is incredibly stupid. I'm not justifying their actions but I just don't think it classifies as racism. The reason I have explained in my previous post.

It's not alright, your all different races and heritages. The fans were Indian, a different heritage to black, so your therefore demeaning him because of him being a different race/heritage. To the best of my knowledge, Symonds is neither black, nor Austro-Indian, I think he's of aboriginal desent. Therefore it's a different issue. It was wrong. Racism in any form is horrible and is in no way condonable, especially how some of you put it.

If I were to call a black person a monkey it'd be wrong. If I were to make a stereotype about an Indian or a Pakistani owning a corner shop or something like that then it'd be wrong, it's racist. If I were to call an Australian of aborniginal desent a slave or insult him because of his colour, it'd be wrong. It'd be racist.

I never said it is ok. I said it is incredibly stupid. I'm not justifying their actions but I just don't think it classifies as racism. The reason I have explained in my previous post.

An Indian is a different race and heritage to an aboriginal Australian, therefore he's not the same. Therefore by your own logic they were being racist.

I never said that Indian is the same race as aboriginal Australian. The point people brought up calling Symonds a monkey was related to his skin colour. Of course people can call it whatever they want to. But If a black guy called me monkey, I'd be offended and probably beat him up(depending upon his size) but I wont call it racist. And btw I never justified their actions and they should have been arrested.

But it is, because he'd be making a comment based entirely on your skin colour. He'd be calling you a monkey simply because you are not white. Therefore it's a derogatory comment about your skin colour, also known as race, which is therefore racist.

I agree with AbBh and disagree with Animator on the issue of calling Symonds a monkey being a racism issue. As AbBh said, it was a stupid thing the crowd did and I am not condoning it, but I just don't see it as racist. I don't really think there is the same racist attitude in India as in England/Australia. What I mean by that is calling someone a monkey because they are black is not a form of racial abuse that I have observed in India.

But it is, because he'd be making a comment based entirely on your skin colour. He'd be calling you a monkey simply because you are not white. Therefore it's a derogatory comment about your skin colour, also known as race, which is therefore racist.
No... see here is where you are insinuating that it is a racist comment. I don't think the Indian fans were making a comment based on his skin color (since most of them were probably more dark-skinned than Symonds) but on the way he looks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread