Symonds racially abused vs India 5th ODI

But the way he looks is also a race issue. Asian people are a different race and have different typical facial features, eyes being the obvious point to make. It's still a comment on something tied in with his race/skin colour, so it's still rac(e)ist.

I don't really think there is the same racist attitude in India as in England/Australia. What I mean by that is calling someone a monkey because they are black is not a form of racial abuse that I have observed in India.
Thats another point worth noting. The attitude isn't the same over here. Never have I come across(in India) anyone being called a monkey because he's dark.

How multicultural is India? As in are there a lot of black, white people living amongst the Indians in the same way that there are a lot of other Europeans, Asian's, Black people etc living in the UK?

If you're not exposed to a lot of multiculturalism, then your not likely to have come across a lot of racism because everyone will be the same race, ergo there is no differences to discriminate upon.

Leaving that issue aside for a moment, I think most, if not all, of the Indian members here have expressed disapproval over the actions of those few spectators, but what we do take exception to are the generalizations about Indian cricket fans based on this incident.

But the way he looks is also a race issue. Asian people are a different race and have different typical facial features, eyes being the obvious point to make. It's still a comment on something tied in with his race/skin colour, so it's still rac(e)ist.
You know, by that token everything is racist. I can claim that you think the way you think because you were brought up around people of a certain race. By that standard, if I think your comments are stupid, do I become a racist?

Sreesanth has been claimed to have a monkey-face on this very forum but you will notice that NO Indian fan pulled the comment up to be racist one, but rather just a silly one.

How multicultural is India? As in are there a lot of black, white people living amongst the Indians in the same way that there are a lot of other Europeans, Asian's, Black people etc living in the UK?

If you're not exposed to a lot of multiculturalism, then your not likely to have come across a lot of racism because everyone will be the same race, ergo there is no differences to discriminate upon.
There is not a lot of exposure to different races in India--definitely not to the same level as in the UK (which is a mixing pot of different cultures). So now you run into the problem of interpreting something as racism which wasn't intended to be so. And I don't think it's right to accuse people of being racist when they clearly did not intend their actions to be of that nature.

And keep in mind that I do not condone their behavior...

Last edited:
Your not stupid but you haven't insinuated that I'm stupid because I'm English and white. Therefore it's not racist. If you were to say I was stupid because we English don't know anything, then it'd be a race issue.#

He may have been called a Monkey face, but as several members that are Indian on here have recognised, there are a lot of different definitions of what racism is to me being a westerner. I have my own definition of what a racist or a racist comment is because I've been brought up in a multi-cultural society. I believe that a racist follows the dictionary definition that a racist comment is made as a discrimination because of their racial characterists or racial place of birth.

Sreesanth has been claimed to have a monkey-face on this very forum but you will notice that NO Indian fan pulled the comment up to be racist one

Nor did any of the members here who have expressed outrage at the actions of these misguided fans.

I never saw these comments, but if I had I would have made a comment.

Having said that, I think it's fair to say that I have a different opinion of what racism is compared to some of the Indian fans on here, so I think we could do this arguement to death over it, but I feel I'm right because it's what I've been brought up to believe and it's genuinely the held concept over here, and similarly with the Indians (on here) and their view of the definition.

So, essentially, we can argue all we want, we'll just be going round in circles.

He may have been called a Monkey face, but as several members that are Indian on here have recognised, there are a lot of different definitions of what racism is to me being a westerner. I have my own definition of what a racist or a racist comment is because I've been brought up in a multi-cultural society. I believe that a racist follows the dictionary definition that a racist comment is made as a discrimination because of their racial characterists or racial place of birth.
Yes, and you are the one claiming that those comments were made "as a discrimination because of their racial characterists [sic] or racial place of birth", not the fans. In effect, you are putting motives into their mind. I did not really understand the response to Sreesanth being a monkey face, but I cannot see how you would claim that to be not racist and the Symonds incident to be racist.

I never saw these comments, but if I had I would have made a comment.

Having said that, I think it's fair to say that I have a different opinion of what racism is compared to some of the Indian fans on here, so I think we could do this arguement to death over it, but I feel I'm right because it's what I've been brought up to believe and it's genuinely the held concept over here, and similarly with the Indians (on here) and their view of the definition.

So, essentially, we can argue all we want, we'll just be going round in circles.
True. I guess we should leave it at that.

Last edited:
I don't claim it wasn't racist, I just never saw it, If I had I would have made a comment because racism is something I'm strongly against, but yerr. We could do this to death.

It's not alright, your all different races and heritages. The fans were Indian, a different heritage to black, so your therefore demeaning him because of him being a different race/heritage. To the best of my knowledge, Symonds is neither black, nor Austro-Indian, I think he's of aboriginal desent. Therefore it's a different issue. It was wrong. Racism in any form is horrible and is in no way condonable, especially how some of you put it.

If I were to call a black person a monkey it'd be wrong. If I were to make a stereotype about an Indian or a Pakistani owning a corner shop or something like that then it'd be wrong, it's racist. If I were to call an Australian of aborniginal desent a slave or insult him because of his colour, it'd be wrong. It'd be racist.

Nah, born in England. He has West Indian in him from where he gets his colour and has a incy bit of Asian in him. Nice post BTW.

I dont care how much the Indian Cricket fans try to justify them words, to me its racist and I don't like it. Its horrible.

Nah, born in England. He has West Indian in him from where he gets his colour and has a incy bit of Asian in him. Nice post BTW.

I dont care how much the Indian Cricket fans try to justify them words, to me its racist and I don't like it. Its horrible.

Just check your own posts you do not have a right to call anybody racist:p:p:p:p:p:p

Users who are viewing this thread