Symonds racially abused vs India 5th ODI

Yes, you may sledge Hodge all you want - he has been horrible!

Symonds racially abused...Again!

Far out, this is bullcrap...Something has to be friggin done!

Roy subject of more taunts

0,5001,5702150,00.jpg

INDIAN fans subjected Andrew Symonds to racial abuse for the second successive game in India yesterday.

So this is why Symonds said nothing before - probably to avoid controversy.
Symonds was gagged by Cricket Australia but still managed to write a paid Sunday newspaper column syndicated around the country yesterday, addressing the matter.
But this is what he said.
"I am a pretty liberal sort of bloke but racism is a big issue in world sport, not just cricket," Symonds wrote.

Sorry, but this just gives Indians a bad rep...I dont know what else to say.

OMFG, someone knock some sense into those pillocks!

You guys just wait, he'll be back.

I hope. :upray

Indians usually aren't racists, especially to Aussies. Trust me, I'm Indian! (:p)
Its that frustrated chant thing. He looks like a gorilla! (No offense). It's not saying "Aussie Possie Scum" or something, right?

You guys were all calling Sreesanth a monkey. Isn't that racism then? Isn't that against PC rules? ;)

Being called a Monkey is racist - fact. Being told you look like a monkey is just an insult that can be said to white and black people...but being called a monkey or getting monkey chants/noises thrown at you is racist.

Animator! posted it perfectly why
The connection between Black people and monkey chants towards them being racist has been there for decades.

A great example is when John Barnes started playing football for Liverpool in England, he was the first black player. As a result the fans threw banana's at him and made monkey noises every single time he got the ball. It goes back to the slave era when we were convinced that black people evolved from monkey's but we evolved differently. Of course we all now know we evolved exactly the same etc, but the chans are still as racist as they were before.

Well, I didnt call him a monkey. Don't know where you got that from - Iam pretty sure it was an Indian who posted that picture anyways.

Well, I didnt call him a monkey. Don't know where you got that from - Iam pretty sure it was an Indian who posted that picture anyways.

It was me who posted the picture (in good humor) but some other members have been calling him a monkey in a not so nice tone.
I'm not going to be pulling up quotes but Yeah.
We're brown too, so I don't know how we can be racist to our own skin color.

This whole thing is stupid. The bottom line is- There is no room for racism in sport. Even if this wasn't a racist comment, it's still not nice.
-Although, this does happen alot all over the world and it's quite unavoidable. Even when I went to the WI to watch Ind vs SL, it was there.

How to stop it? Kick em out, of course, but you can't get all the bad eggs in a huge barrel of good ones can you?

Being called a Monkey is racist - fact. Being told you look like a monkey is just an insult that can be said to white and black people...but being called a monkey or getting monkey chants/noises thrown at you is racist.
No it isn't. It's not a fact because it is an opinion. And if you are going to get that anal, they made monkey sounds at him. They didn't tell him that he was a monkey.

It can be interpreted as racist but if you are going to bag the fans for being racist when that wasn't their intent, then I am not going to be giving you much respect. This is the problem with over-sensitization. If there is no racist intent in a statement, I do not think it is the "perpetrators" fault that the "victim" takes offense from the incident.

As has been said over and over again, the antics of those crowd members is undesirable at the game. But I don't think you can objectively call their behavior racist because there is obviously a lot of subjectivity involved.

Ok, well its not a fact, but its not just one person's opinion either. Its pretty well known that Monkey is a racist remark to black person mainly from African descent. How do I know? Because its happened to me, its happened to my father and so on. Oh, well its obvious there intent..why else would they bloody do it? Just for the sake of it? Sheesh

I think your just letting this blow over your head (when I mean "your" I mean all the Indian fans on this forum), because most of you guys think its not called racism while the rest of us beleive it is. I think you guys are just trying to justify it, even the Indian Cricket board aren't even looking into it properly there just "Waiting for a complaint from the Australians". Well, they know its happening then do something about it yourselves...its happening at your grounds and just giving you guys bad rep for acting like its not happening.

I don't really see why an Australian would take offence to what an Indian would say in the first place. Our country totally outclasses their country in every aspect possible.

I'd honestly laugh if someone from another country attempted to be racist against me because I'm Australian. I'm proud and there is no other nationality I'd rather be.

I don't really see why an Australian would take offence to what an Indian would say in the first place. Our country totally outclasses their country in every aspect possible.

I'd honestly laugh if someone from another country attempted to be racist against me because I'm Australian. I'm proud and there is no other nationality I'd rather be.

Symonds would probably be able to take on the entire section of the crowd that is causing the trouble.

Coming to the monkey chants theory, unfortunately, it is accepted as a racist taunt. So whether you are doing it with that intent or not, if its a monkey chant, directed at a black person, it will be considered racist. Do the same to Ponting, Clarke, Hayden, or any white guy, no one will even care.

To be honest, I for one am least surprised by the behaviour of the crowd. Being born and brought up in Mumbai (Bombay), I have been to a lot of games at the Brabourne and Wankhade stadium. I felt really disgusted during the 2001 Australia-India test match, where almost the entire ground (including the VIP section) showered Glen McGrath and Shane Warne with horribly abusive chants and taunts. I could understand the frustation because Australia had outplayed India in that game, but to disrespect two of the finest players of the game, and in this way, was just unacceptable.

So while it might not be racist as such, its still something the game can do without.

Users who are viewing this thread