Tamil Music/Movie Thread

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Watched two new movies over the weekend!

Madras (4.5/5) - Brilliant film! A very serious competitor with Jigarthanda for the 'movie of the year'. I havent watched Attakathi (the director's last film) but now I am planning to watch it. This movie shows North Madras with a lot of realism and the story/screenplay is so gripping that you are completely awed. The acting is top class, especially that of Karthi and his friend (Anbu in the film). The background score by Santosh Narayanan is extraordinary and songs gel with the film too. The director Ranjith seems a very promising guy to watch out for. The heroine was ordinary looks and acting wise, which was the only blemish.

Jeeva (3.5/5) - A very neat film about cricket. More so about the politics in Tamil Nadu cricket. The film got me thinking.... Is this why Baba Aparajith is continously ignored when CSK plays? Pity that the guy hasnt yet debuted for CSK inspite of being with them for long. Abhinav Mukund was meted similar treatment with CSK before he luckily moved over to RCB (his luck is not different there, but thats another story). And the guys who have played for India from Chennai so far in recent times are Ashwin, Vijay and Dinesh Karthik, all of whom come from the Brahmin community (Mukund was never allowed to play enough during his India stint). The villian is almost exactly styled to look like N. Srinivasan. The love story in the first half is very gripping. The cricket portions is where the film dips. However the director gets people to think of the backroom politics. The audience will now understand whats happening behind scenes. The songs by D. Imman are excellent, with "Ovvondrai" and "Enge Ponaai" the best of the lot. The acting is decent to say best. Vishnu has a lot to go before becoming an actor of good calibre. Sri Divya (of Vartha Padadha... fame) looks drop dead gorgeous and emotes well. Soori is wasted. Suseenthram's intentions are good, but I enjoyed the romantic portions of the first half and wished that the film was more of a love story that bringing in the cricket bit.

Aravind.

ICC Board Member
India
Mumbai Indians
Watched two new movies over the weekend!

Madras (4.5/5) - Brilliant film! A very serious competitor with Jigarthanda for the 'movie of the year'. I havent watched Attakathi (the director's last film) but now I am planning to watch it. This movie shows North Madras with a lot of realism and the story/screenplay is so gripping that you are completely awed. The acting is top class, especially that of Karthi and his friend (Anbu in the film). The background score by Santosh Narayanan is extraordinary and songs gel with the film too. The director Ranjith seems a very promising guy to watch out for. The heroine was ordinary looks and acting wise, which was the only blemish.

Finally heard a good review about Madras going to watch it soon.:thumbs

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Finally heard a good review about Madras going to watch it soon.:thumbs

Madras has been getting only positive reviews (that too mostly glowing reviews) so far from everyone. Where did you hear any negative reviews for it?

Aravind.

ICC Board Member
India
Mumbai Indians
Madras has been getting only positive reviews (that too mostly glowing reviews) so far from everyone. Where did you hear any negative reviews for it?

Many of my friends watched it first day & gave a review as mokka movie,but i liked the tralier & opening song ,so i was in a mood to watch it irrespective of their reviews,i didn't surf the net to find the reviews,but your review boosted me to watch the movie.

KrishnamurthiN

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Saw "Burma" an awesome movie about "car seizing" by debutante Dharani Dharan starring Michael Thangadurai, Sampath Raj, Atul Kulkarni and Karthik Sabesh. Awesome, fantastic,Simple yet Gripping...I can go on about this movie's story. The movie is only one hour and forty minutes, crisp editing( hats off to the editor Vivek Harshan), superb direction, screenplay and camera work too. Even the costumes of the movie was great. The music we must give it to the debutante Sudarshan M Kumar for getting it right almost everywhere by keeping the mood of the movie as it should be at a given place anywhere in the movie. Coming to the acting, Michael played Burma how it should have been and of course stellar performances by the "seniors" as I would say Atul and Sampath. I should also mention the excellent support given by Karthik Sabesh as Boomer to Burma in the movie.Finally I should also mention the apt usage of vintage movie scenes(from Sivaji's Pudhiya Paravai) and songs("Gundu onnu Vechirukken" from Arangettra Velai) and the Dialogues written for the movie overall or their usage from older movies( "Veeram na enna theriyuma" dialogue from KuruthipPunal as the ringtone for Burma's cell phone). And to think that this movie was served to us by a debutante makes me just take a bow for him, Mr Dharani Dharan in this place. Overall I would definitely give this movie a 4 on 5. Hats Off to the Producer too for supporting the director and giving us this good movie!

FC Akash.

International Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
Jeeva
I would rate it 4.5/5 as a cricketer
And 4/5 as a ordinary man

A great movie which showed us why many talents are rejected and forced to death. The movie starts of as a small love story combined with cricket which later on turns against politics on TNCA. The heroine sri divya has done her role in correct way. The villian looks like Srinivasan who was an former head of TNCA And BCCI and now the head of ICC. The film told many real stories happened in TN. Which later on teaches us the moral HARD WORK NEVER FAILS. Soori and everyone does their job correctly but the film gets a bit bored because of unwanted romance scenes in middle of interesting cricket career. However it is a great entertainer and an great motivation for cricketers like me

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Many of my friends watched it first day & gave a review as mokka movie,but i liked the tralier & opening song ,so i was in a mood to watch it irrespective of their reviews,i didn't surf the net to find the reviews,but your review boosted me to watch the movie.

Wow. Wonder if that friend group of yours had any negative motives against either the hero or the producer. Everywhere I have read or heard of Madras, it has only been glowing reviews. The movie is turning out to be a super-hit in Tamil Nadu. Won't be surprised if the movie wins awards this year in certain categories (especially background score and screenplay).[DOUBLEPOST=1412101916][/DOUBLEPOST]
Jeeva
I would rate it 4.5/5 as a cricketer
And 4/5 as a ordinary man

A great movie which showed us why many talents are rejected and forced to death. The movie starts of as a small love story combined with cricket which later on turns against politics on TNCA. The heroine sri divya has done her role in correct way. The villian looks like Srinivasan who was an former head of TNCA And BCCI and now the head of ICC. The film told many real stories happened in TN. Which later on teaches us the moral HARD WORK NEVER FAILS. Soori and everyone does their job correctly but the film gets a bit bored because of unwanted romance scenes in middle of interesting cricket career. However it is a great entertainer and an great motivation for cricketers like me

The love angle and the pressure created by the love story on the hero's career prospect made it look very similar to Ajith's "Mugavari" (where he has to choose between his music career and his love).

But that "N Srinivasan" look alike villian was very smartly done. I'm surprised that NSR hasn't seen this film (or atleast heard about this lookalike) and hasn't raised an issue yet.

FC Akash.

International Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
The love angle and the pressure created by the love story on the hero's career prospect made it look very similar to Ajith's "Mugavari" (where he has to choose between his music career and his love).
But that "N Srinivasan" look alike villian was very smartly done. I'm surprised that NSR hasn't seen this film (or atleast heard about this lookalike) and hasn't raised an issue yet.

Even if he hear about this
he cant make any issue
if he do so then everyone will get to know that he did all those
because it was just done against the politics not against srini

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Watched 'Aranmanai'. Better than Chandramukhi. Same type of horror film (family moves to bungalow, ghost in bungalow, flashback, ghost gets into heroine, etc) but what makes this stands out from Chandramukhi are the performances. Sundar C plays a superbly underplayed character as opposed to Rajni in Chandramukhi who plays a larger than life character (for a film like this, it demands a true to life character). Wonder why Andrea has not got as much accolades as Jyothika. This is a knockout performance from Andrea. I am a huge Jyothika fan, but Andrea is as fantastic! And she has dubbed for herself here unlike Jyothika. Santhanam is as big of a laugh riot as Vadivelu (Santhanam-Sundar C are becoming the next director-comedian combo after Sundar C-Vadivelu). Hansika in a powerful role does well, but due to Andrea getting all the histronics, Hansika's contribution is barely noticeable. Vinay gets a smaller role than Prabu's role in Chandramukhi (not that its bad, as he is an ordinary actor).

Negatives - Songs; some of the character roles are ordinary to pathetic (e.g. Kovai Sarala is annoying, Laxmi Rai is irritating at many places, the sidekick to Santhanam, that Lollu Sabha guy is a blade). Also this can be classified as negative - this movie almost looks like a remake of Chandramukhi.

Overall: Very good entertainment, and well done Sundar C for directing a movie like this. The movie is a blockbuster in Tamil Nadu, and rightly deserved.

4/5

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Just back from Kaththi premier show in the US! Movie is good. Not better than Thuppakki, but this is a different genre (content heavy; social message). Vijay does a very good job and stars in possibly one of his most non-massy films with lots of intelligence (that feels good). AR Murugadoss chooses a Ramana type film this time, and succeeds to a large extent. However a problem that has plagued his films continues here. His execution is not upto the mark. Somewhere he falters and the film has some loose ends hanging.

The BGM by Anirudh is pulsating and lifts the film massively in a lot of places. Samantha is eye candy (as much as Kajal Agarwal in Thuppakki). The cinematography by George C Williams is extraordinary. The film looks beautiful and should be lovely to watch in blu-ray. Definitely a one time watch for Vijay, Murugadoss and the visuals. But dont expect a Thuppakki out of this!

3.5/5

Aravind.

ICC Board Member
India
Mumbai Indians
Good to see u guys doing short flims,over all the movie was pretty good with good acting & visuals,you guys tried gomtham menon style in dialogues huh ? over all i am impressed with the movie just clarify me what u r trying to say at the end and @SambarVadai will be very happy to see his name being used as the production company name.

FC Akash.

International Cricketer
Profile Flag
India

SambarVadai

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Innikum Sarakku Illaya,Indha madhiri mental case...yevan da ivan,As usual,innikum Newspaper orru uruppadi news illa,Indha dandatha 3 ruva kuduthu vanginen...Who wrote these dialogues?.They are pretty good!

BTW it seems quite unfinished in the end tbh.What happened to Sam?..Did Anniyan kil him too?

Apart from that,its quite good for a start.You should do em more often.KUTGW!

And you owe me a copyright :p :p
(Im kidding :p)

zeustrojanstark

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Good to see u guys doing short flims,over all the movie was pretty good with good acting & visuals,you guys tried gomtham menon style in dialogues huh ? over all i am impressed with the movie just clarify me what u r trying to say at the end and @SambarVadai will be very happy to see his name being used as the production company name.

Being a die hard fan of GVM sir, he has been an inspiration for my movie. Yes, i used english at most places as a mark of respect to my most favourite Gautam sir. And we weren't really telling anything, just an open ended movie. Thanks for watching.

Users who are viewing this thread