TAOC - Commentary Lines

Just an idea...Geoff Boycott is fond of getting his mum involved while commentating. Something like:
'Eee, me mum could have hit that'
or a recent example: 'If the groundsman makes another flat, slow pitch that my mum would get runs on it will be a tedious draw.'
Get these lines in! :D

Can you have this line "He is like and Indian three-wheeler, he sucks up a lot of diesel, but never goes past 30" :).

Drewska said:
Can you have this line "He is like and Indian three-wheeler, he sucks up a lot of diesel, but never goes past 30" :).

lmao I like dat and
I would Like Sukh Dhatt in please

Ok, I think I have a mic somewhere in my drawer, next weekend I may post some commentary samples...it might be embarrasing for me to hear though considering i havent heard myself on tape in bout 3yrs and i dont know if my voice has broken :cool:

I pmed this to duff and thought I must aswell post it here too

COMMENTARY SAMPLE LINES

If you think they are good I will provide more, if not, i wont.

Here are some phrases/facts to be used:

"To go to a cricket match for nothing but cricket is a though a man were to go into an inn for nothing but drink" Sir Neville Cardus, 1947

It was Steve Rixon the New South Wales coach of the time who suggested that Glenn Mcgrath furthere his cricket career by moving south from the small town of Narrowmine to Sydney to further his cricket. This came back to haunt him when he was New Zealand caoch in the 1999 World Cup.

Generic phrases:

Regardelss of milestone (although common sense is needed):

"He was peppered there (hit by 2 or more bouncers)"
"He hit x4's and x6's there."
"Dropped on ..., and im sure theyre regretting it now."
"Good innings so far, hopefully he can reach the next milestone."
"Good fifty/hundred."
"Any thing over 100 is excellent."

"Thats his 50"...etc...
Usually followed by:

- SR>80 in Test, SR>100 in 40 or 50 overs match

"It was a fast paced innings"
"Just over/under a run a ball there"
"Good innings there he looked shady at the crease but recovered to make a good fifty"
"Superb innings, he looked comfortable from the start and carried on for a fantastic fifty"

- SR>105 in Test, SR>120 in 40 or 50 over match

"What an innings he blasted those runs"
"He kept getting singles there and it all amonted to a great fifty."/Loads of boundaries, the crowd go wild in appriaciation for a great innings."
"x4's and x6's in that fifty"

-SR>45 in Test, SR>60 in 40 or 50 over match.

"Solid fifty, he just nurdled the ball into the gaps/he waited for his oppotunity then got the boundaries."
"You need an innings like this to hold an innings together"

-SR<45 in Test, SR<60 in 40 or 50 over match

"Gutsy innings"
"Good fifty, reminded me in part of the days of Geoff Boycott"
"Slow and steady wins the race"
Other commentator asks "What race is that?"

-SR>150

"<Insert name here> is something special to provide an innings like that"
"Some of those overs reminded me of my credit card bill...e.g. 346436."
"Call <insert opposition name here> a fish because they have been battered"
"This guy loves to slog"

-SR>150 in 20-20

"WOW, this is 20-20 for you, good innings."
"A quick 50/100/150 there"
"He blasted that 50/100/150"

-SR>150 in 40/50 overs match

"Scores in one dayers are getting bigger and bigger thanks to innings like this...well done <insert name here>."

-SR>150 in Test

"The test match game is evolving, no longer a game for old fogies drinking tea, now a game for youngsters smashing the ball to all ends off the park"

This is just to give you an idea of the many lines I can provide if you want me to.

Here are the phrases suggested by members earlier + some from me.

'My mum could have hit that' - poor ball, missed by batsman.

'If the grounds man makes another flat, slow pitch that my mum would get runs on it will be a tedious draw.' - After 2nd or 3rd innings when >1000 or >1500 have been scored respectavaly.

"He is like and Indian three-wheeler, he sucks up a lot of diesel, but never goes past 30" - Player with description of opener or middle order batsman out 20<30.

'He's what I call a good all rounder, he plays all around the ball and it goes on to hit the stumps' Player bowled playing straight drive, cover drive or square drive.

'He's usually a good hooker, but couldn't quite get it up that time' (Richie said this one) - caught off the hook.

'That six has cleared the car park' - huge six.

'He's got a hold of that one, but so does the fielder at [position goes here]' - obvious.

'That's a good example of how to take a catch, but unfortunately for the bowling team, a member of the crowd was the one taking it' - six into crowd.

"A man back in Row S has taken that catch" - six into crowd.

"WOW He's Smashed that so hard it?s gone out the stadium and hit a driving car's windscreen" - huge six.

"Oh this is VERY close we have to go to the 3rd Umpire" - 3rd umpire referral for run out.

"Chance if he hits" (You always here commentators say that) - obvious.

"Struck in front," - LBW shout thats going on to hit stumps

followed by:

"Keeper's appealing"..."but is about the only one" or "others follow, and got him"

"All fielders appealing"..."but not out" or "and got him"

"Plumb!"..."..." or "Oh dear, not given"

"Wow this is a very high shot its cleared the height of the stadium there?s a man under it and gone, What a catch" - skied and caught.

"There's a hundred dollars for a lucky fan taking a catch down in the third row!" - six into crowd.

"Going, going, going, GONE" - six.

"Oh! That?s a little ripper by [bowler?s name]" - great delivery

"He comes down the pitch and smacks it for...wait he's out! Played all around it!" - advance down the wicket but bowled.

"In this over he's swung it in, out, in, out and he's shaken the stumps all about!" - wicket (not on first ball of over)

"He?s looking about as comfortable out there as America in the Iraq War" - play and miss, or hit by bouncer.

"That?s a rip snorter," - brilliant delivery.

"Judging by that decision, I think the umpire is deaf, dumb and plain stupid" - after: "Plumb, oh dear, not out."

"[Team] has about as much chance of success as EA creating a good cricket game" - team going at under 1/2 required rate in one dayer.

"Yorker, Majorca" - bowled or lbw by yorker.

"Gone, Cya, Au revoir, Auf Wiedersehn, Sat Sri Kal, goodbye" - batsman out.

"Maybe Courtney Walsh can give this guy some batting lessons" - slog shot missed.

"Going, going...this match is brought to you by planetcricket...GONE...six runs. - six.

"Oh, <insert batsman name> is on fire" - well timed boundary.

"That?s a shocking decision by the umpire"

"MAXIMUM!!" - six

"If that had gone any further the batsman would be asking for 9" - huge six

"That?s the death rattle, played all around that one" - bowled.

"Oh! Huge! That's 12 that is!" - huge six

And some short phrases:

?Gone? - out

?Out? - out

?Ooo? - play and miss

?Six? - six

?Four? - four

?Edged and four/out/dropped?

?Dropped?

?Bowled?

?They appeal?

?Huge appeal?

?In the air and??

?Mix up? - batsman mix up whilst running

?Bouncer? (don't say this too much as it can get annoying.)

?Yorker? (don't say this too much as it can get annoying.)

?Good slower ball?

?That ones getting old? (excess use of Yorker, bouncer, or slower ball)

?Huge swing?

?That?s the out swinger? (don't say this too much as it can get annoying)

?That?s the in swinger? (don't say this too much as it can get annoying)

Final note: for things like LBW shouts, have one phrase for the appeal...because in C2005, whether the batsman is out or not can be given away by how soon you see the umpire, the scorecard changing and Ritchie saying "Struck in front,"

Last edited:
good ideas but a few points:

"WOW, this is 20-20 for you, good 150."
"A quick 150 there"
"He blasted that 150"

sr means strike rate right, but those phrases imply the batsman's score was 150.

"Oh, Afridi is on fire"

shouldnt this be batsman's name is on fire?
(unless the implication the player is like afridi and therefore sloging it everywhere. i dont think it is)

as for the short phrases some of them are good, but some of them like bouncer, yorker, etc are stating the obvious. IMO It would get kind of annoying if everytime u bowled a bouncer, it would tell u that u did cos you u would know that it was a bouncer cos you bowled it. maybe if it there were a few comments about the bouncer it would be better

dont think im slating you, its just my opinion. Other than that, keep up the good work.

You haven't done one about the ball spinning, what about something like

"That one from [Bowler's name] has turned square."

Also what about when Murali bowls a bad ball in Australia,

"The crowds' shouts of no-ball there obviously affected his delievery"

Also, when a batsman hits it to the boundary,

"No need to run for that"

Couple more
"Bowled him!"
"Bowled him! Wait! No ball! It's all going [batting team]'s way out there."
"He just can't play swing/reverse swing/spin."
"That's 5 for "
"[bowlers]'s appeal sounded like a little girl screaming"
"[Batsman] looks bewildered at that descision"

What about a bit of banter between the comentators?
e.g
A: [Batsman] is smashing all over the place, another huge 6!
B: He's just giving him a few easy ones, he'll get caught sooner or later.

A: Out! Must be caught
B: He is..... In the crowd

A: Out!
B: Out of the ground!

Soon I'm going to create a file which contains all phrases suggested and their appropriate title:

They will be:

Out
LBW shout
Bowled
Mix up
In the air
Dropped catch
Byes
Wides
Leg byes
No-ball, line, pacer
No-ball, line, medium pacer
No-ball, line, spinner
No-ball, height
Boundary
Four
Six
Huge six

Nice work manee, keep it up, there are some very nice lines there, also the more lines there are the less repeditive it will be which will make it sound better

Doing these commentary lines, I realised that to do commentary, initial lines are needed upon an appeal or an edge...

So...

Here are my commentary lines...

I would appriciate if the planetcricket community could help...using the system I have stated...

The first person to reply to this post (who wants to) edits my below attachment and states the areas they are going to do...

People must wait for them to complete their sections, the first person to state that they want to continue the commentary lines states what sections they are going to do, edits the file and then reposts it...this process should repeat itself...

People can only volunteer for sections once the person who is currently editing it has reposted the document

With your help this can be done by monday...

Post here if you don;t understand the system

Here is the initial file...

Attachments

• Commentary Lines.doc
    37 KB · Views: 17
I'll have a read of your document Manee. Also good work in compiling all of the commentary lines for me in the PM. Do you think it is a good idea of appending the lines to the first post of the thread still?

Users who are viewing this thread