TAOC Discussion

legend_master said:
@Dhoni, not yet - i have a list of animations as long as my arm to get through, including those you mentioned, but i wanted to get all the core shots done before doing those 'cut-scene' type animations. But dont worry, we wont forget them...I recently made a list of every single animation - man it's quite scary how many there are going to be... ;-)

LM
Ok thanks man!

Propmanoz said:
Your dedication to this game is admirable, and you are a champion LM!!!
Truly L.M. you deserve lots of accolade.
your dedication is inspiring for entire planet cricket community.
It definitly is for me though.

From what I've seen so far of 'The Cricket Project', I've written down what I think and what I would like to see implemented. I know legend_master as a person who listens. Unlike EA SPORTS and Codemasters!

Gameplay
I like what you have said so far about gameplay. The way you describe it as 'non-scripted' is a great relief for me. To me, the gameplay of EA SPORTS Cricket 2005 and Brian Lara International Cricket 2005 is so predictable that it makes me only want to play it once or twice. I don't think that will happen with 'The Cricket Project'! I don't think the batting controls sound too complicated, but, as a right arm fast medium bowler (;)), I would love you to tell us more about the bowling aspect of the game. Cricket games so far have been too focused on batting and have released a game with a poor, unrealistic bowling system. Don't let that happen here. Fielding is another part. I hope you find a fine line between EA SPORTS Cricket 2002's too slow fielders and EA SPORTS Cricket 2005's too fast fielders, and take into account player abilities, so a young and fit player will run faster than an old player who has spent all day in the sun. All ideas to improve. :)

Graphics
Graphics are great. They mean nothing to me compared to gameplay, but the player models look superb from what I've seen so far. The animations come into it as well. I like the shots I've seen in the videos you've sent me so far. I feel you can improve the bowling action animation though. Overall, the player models are a lot better than EA SPORTS Cricket 2005's wrestlers, and Brian Lara International Cricket 2005's jockeys. The kit seems natural too. Brilliant! :)

Sound
Sound is the most left out part of cricket games. When you play a shot, you want that lovely noise of when the ball hits the bat in the middle, and edges with the 'little nick'. You also want to take into account the stump microphone, which picks up bowlers grunts, appeal and movement on the crease and the batsman's shots and the movement of the bat. Good luck with these ideas as I know you haven't done it yet. ;)

Bowling: By far, C2K5's was technically the best, with the variety of deliveries and just selecting which delivery to bowl, but BLIC has the option to change the direction late and to outsmart the AI properly - albeit a bit easily. A combination of the two would be great.

But C2K animatiosn were poor, The offspinner span it with his hands and all bowlers were the same??

langerrox said:
But C2K animatiosn were poor, The offspinner span it with his hands and all bowlers were the same??
In Cricket 2000, yea. Slow Left Arm bowlers were also actually left arm mediums...

C2K5 wasn't that much better. I am not sure, I have only played it a small bit. But technically it was better than I expected. When the bowler's confidence went up, more deliveries were avialble, etc. Not bad.

L.M. your dedication to this game is supreme. i am alwys here to support you mate. keep up the good work mate.

when are you going to release the new video? just asking can't wait to see those shots in play. ;)

SkateBoarder said:
From what I've seen so far of 'The Cricket Project', I've written down what I think and what I would like to see implemented. I know legend_master as a person who listens. Unlike EA SPORTS and Codemasters!

Gameplay
I like what you have said so far about gameplay. The way you describe it as 'non-scripted' is a great relief for me. To me, the gameplay of EA SPORTS Cricket 2005 and Brian Lara International Cricket 2005 is so predictable that it makes me only want to play it once or twice. I don't think that will happen with 'The Cricket Project'! I don't think the batting controls sound too complicated, but, as a right arm fast medium bowler (;)), I would love you to tell us more about the bowling aspect of the game. Cricket games so far have been too focused on batting and have released a game with a poor, unrealistic bowling system. Don't let that happen here. Fielding is another part. I hope you find a fine line between EA SPORTS Cricket 2002's too slow fielders and EA SPORTS Cricket 2005's too fast fielders, and take into account player abilities, so a young and fit player will run faster than an old player who has spent all day in the sun. All ideas to improve. :)

Graphics
Graphics are great. They mean nothing to me compared to gameplay, but the player models look superb from what I've seen so far. The animations come into it as well. I like the shots I've seen in the videos you've sent me so far. I feel you can improve the bowling action animation though. Overall, the player models are a lot better than EA SPORTS Cricket 2005's wrestlers, and Brian Lara International Cricket 2005's jockeys. The kit seems natural too. Brilliant! :)

Sound
Sound is the most left out part of cricket games. When you play a shot, you want that lovely noise of when the ball hits the bat in the middle, and edges with the 'little nick'. You also want to take into account the stump microphone, which picks up bowlers grunts, appeal and movement on the crease and the batsman's shots and the movement of the bat. Good luck with these ideas as I know you haven't done it yet. ;)

Skate,here here....yeah, i totally agree...i can't stand scripted stuff in any sports game..it just ruins it for me - i hate feeling like it doesn't matter what i do, the computer will do what it wants anyway :noway If this game turns out to be something people only play once or twice then i have failed in my goal. I want this to be played heaps and heaps and to grow and be added to etc. for years to come, be it in the form of updates, patches, add-ons, new versions etc. This is why i have put such a focus on physics and gameplay - i have spent soooo much time getting physics right that's it's not funny...but the results are fully worth it, IMO essential to the success of the game. I can truly boast that the ball can go to any part of the ground and it would be extremely rare for 2 shots to be identical. I want to release sometime in the future a wagon wheel (spider) of the batting strokes so i can demonstrate this variety.

Bowling is going to receive an equal amount of attention as batting, believe me. I am someone that always 'autoplays' the bowling, cos it was so boring - there really was no point to it. But to do that is to remove half the fun of cricket!! So yes, bowling will be awesome. Yes, i'm aware the bowling animation at the moment is a bit crap - this will be fixed once the batting is done and i get to work on completing the bowling. The reason its crap is cos i did that animation over a year ago ;) and it was actually one of my first real attempts at hand animation. I've come a long way since then though....

Fielding is going to pose possibly my hardest challenge, but will receive my full attention. Players will not be too fast or too slow - this will be tested till the cows come home and many opinions sought on the matter until it's just right. Also player abilities (as i have stated again and again) are going to be a big factor. If you can't tell one fielder is different from another then again i have failed in my goal. Just a little hint as well on stats...running between the wickets will also vary between players..so if you had Inzy for example, he would be slower than other guys at running between wickets and would be more prone to making bad judgement calls with regards to run-outs(when controlled by cpu) - you would actually realise he was slower. Likewise if you had a really fast player you would notice it in the running between wickets.

Graphics can always be improved (and will be), but yeah, i'm happy with the progress so far.

Sound - yeah, i've been giving this a lot of thought. Every point you mention is dead right. Sound is a massive factor...the sound of the ball crashing into the bat is what adds heaps of satisfaction when batting, and likewise when the stumps get smashed over by a fast bowler. Very very important.

@srk121 - video will be ready soon (hope to maybe just squeeze it out before Christmas period starts (i.e. this Thursday) but i need to finish off the batting code.

UPDATE* last night i completed the following strokes: FF leg glance (my personal fav!) ; FF leg glance-style block ; reverse sweep ; slog sweep ; lofted late cut (over slips / gully); ducking and leaving

Thanks all for your great support and encouraging comments :cheers

LM

Commentary?

I think if we could get people with Indian, Australian, Pakistani, Sri Lankan, Carribean, and English accents, and get each to do voice overs...it would be nice.

prarara said:
Commentary?

I think if we could get people with Indian, Australian, Pakistani, Sri Lankan, Carribean, and English accents, and get each to do voice overs...it would be nice.

But I feel commentary from the original game commentators would be good.... But since these guys work for free, I dont have too much expectations on that!

Well, I agree with Prarara, that say, in an Aus West Indies match, to have commentary from one Aussie, and one West Indian, would certainly make the game feel very authentic.

I'll do the commentary with Indian accent.
LM you're awesome man!!! Keep up the good work!

I can do Australian comentating (I think duff will do that),English and Caribean. My dad says I should become a comedian

Users who are viewing this thread