TAOC Discussion

ok, several questions to answer here.... ;)

i) the marker of where the ball is going to land will appear either very late or very early based on the batsman's skill of "reading deliveries" AND the bowler's skills - but in any case will appear pretty late - this will be editable anyways to your own preferences - so @Cricket Doctor is correct, this will make moving before hand silly if you dont know roughly where it is going to land - if it turns out to be too unrealistic (in alpha testing etc.) then i can just allow movement as the bowler is bowling the ball as @dhruvdeepak suggested. It is also important to note that as with the bowler, there is a 'chaos' element to the bowling as well - just because the marker shows where the ball will land, doesn't mean it will 100% land there. Think of it more as an 'intended pitching area' that the bowler wants the ball to land in.

ii) @dobbo2k4 - I want to make Wicket keeping as real as possible, so i will be putting a lot of work into it. For example, there will be an option included (which was suggested by a forum member) to position the keeper, so you can keep closer to the wicket for a bowler that has less speed etc. etc.

iii) @Das - yes to both ;)

iv) @Propmanoz - lol, give me some credit ;) - the movement keys / buttons are different from shots, so you can back away and to the right (for example) and then cut it away, having given yoursefl room first.

* I have tested the movement fully and it's really great i have to say ;) (IMHO)

:happy

* update - finished all shot animations - now integrating into code...almost finished integrating all front foot shots. Hopefully have all of this done by Monday. I'll then look to release a new vid.

LM

LM said:
It is also important to note that as with the bowler, there is a 'chaos' element to the bowling as well - just because the marker shows where the ball will land, doesn't mean it will 100% land there. Think of it more as an 'intended pitching area' that the bowler wants the ball to land in.
LM
Hey fantastic idea LM, it also means dat bowlers wont b able 2 bowl 6 yorkers or 6 bouncers in an over and at d same spot again and again, as in cricket 2005 and BLIC 2005.
I reckon bowler's line & length shud more depend on d type,quality and form of d bowler. Wat do u think??

Last edited:
This cricket game surly will be the best game ever! Great work LM!!! You're putting a lot of hard work into this cricket game. Thanks!

Excellent Work !

After playing all the crap dished out by the so called Big names of the Gaming industry, Iam refreshed to see the gaming community come up with what I feel will be something special .
I admire your dedication `Legend Master` . Great stuff by all of those involved , JK16, skateboarder ! Great playr models .
I just checked the screens after playing Cricket 2005 and Iam refreshed to see a cricketer looking like a cricketer and not a wrestler !

Attachments

• eng5.jpg
    eng5.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 117
legend_master said:
ok, several questions to answer here.... ;)

i) the marker of where the ball is going to land will appear either very late or very early based on the batsman's skill of "reading deliveries" AND the bowler's skills - but in any case will appear pretty late - this will be editable anyways to your own preferences - so @Cricket Doctor is correct, this will make moving before hand silly if you dont know roughly where it is going to land - if it turns out to be too unrealistic (in alpha testing etc.) then i can just allow movement as the bowler is bowling the ball as @dhruvdeepak suggested. It is also important to note that as with the bowler, there is a 'chaos' element to the bowling as well - just because the marker shows where the ball will land, doesn't mean it will 100% land there. Think of it more as an 'intended pitching area' that the bowler wants the ball to land in.

ii) @dobbo2k4 - I want to make Wicket keeping as real as possible, so i will be putting a lot of work into it. For example, there will be an option included (which was suggested by a forum member) to position the keeper, so you can keep closer to the wicket for a bowler that has less speed etc. etc.

iii) @Das - yes to both ;)

iv) @Propmanoz - lol, give me some credit ;) - the movement keys / buttons are different from shots, so you can back away and to the right (for example) and then cut it away, having given yoursefl room first.

* I have tested the movement fully and it's really great i have to say ;) (IMHO)

:happy

* update - finished all shot animations - now integrating into code...almost finished integrating all front foot shots. Hopefully have all of this done by Monday. I'll then look to release a new vid.

LM

Perfect, LM. you are covering all the bases. maybe the new video will clear things up for me.
I cant say that i can visualize exactly how this mechanism will be (when you see the ball as a batsman and how you can move about) but I think your idea about the chaos element is fantastically unique and is a big selling point. cricket is a game of luck on many levels and finally it is being incorporated into a video game!

@ the wicketkeeper idea, that is great too. maybe if the fella is standing way too far back we'd be able to steal a single, and if he's too close the ball might go over him for 4 byes?

cant wait for the video!

cricket doctor said:
Hi dhruvi,
I think one more solution 2 dis cud be dat d appearance of d cursor can b delayed till d bowler is just abt to deleiver d ball or just prior 2 dat, so even if u r allowing d batsman 2 move anywhere in his crease all d time, d shot selection wont be too easy bz u'll get very less time to see where d ball is going 2 pitch isnt it?
I wanna know ur opinion.
boy that was hard to read! :eek:

here i made a 300*100 logo. Will make more later.

edit: added another. I looked on your site and couldn't find any kitted batsman, and used the pic aditya posted earlier. If someone could direct me to those pics, i could make better logo's.
i've got to say, this looks very promising.

Attachments

• The cricket project.png
    The cricket project.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 111
  • thecricketproject2.png
    thecricketproject2.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
legend_master said:
hehe lol...there wont be any rapping going on...that's fer sure

yeah, i would like to have afew different celebrations in there....how many remains to be seen, but there wont be rapping, and there will be at least a few different ones...

PS: SWeep shot and leg glance completed last night...and looking really awesome imho :D

still on course to have all batting anims done by end of this weekend

LM

It would be kinda funny if you threw in a "Ronaldo-type" celebration as a joke.

@Dhruvdeepak - yeah, it will be much clearer when you see it on the video - but let me say movement is essential...think of it as rather taking a step or two just before you swing to help improve your positioning..because i am using actual collision, rather than scripted shots, if the ball does not hit your bat then you do not hit the ball, simple as that. In some games (not mentioning any names here) it doesn't matter if the bat actually hits the ball or not, but if you swing and you are close enough, it will go where you intended, but in this you need to be pretty damn close to perfect collision between bat and ball for a hit to occur. So being able to take a step or two as you see the ball coming towards you is really critical. Imagine this...Warney comes in to bowl and you briefly see the marker of where the ball is roughly likely to land...as the ball drifts in and spins you realise it would actually be cool to cut it, so you move back and to the right to give yourself room and then you cut it away. Without being able to have moved back and across, you would have been too cramped to play a cut. Believe me, this does not make it 'too easy' ;) - think of it more as a critical tool in the batsman's arsenal ;)

update: had to fix up some little bugs with the stroke animations, so didn't make a whole lot of progress...but i intend to have this stuff sorted out pretty soon. The movement works really well though! And the shots i have done so far do look and feel great ;)

LM

Keep it buddy!!! Can't wait for the video to release.

moza1 said:
Great work guys.
The game sounds great.

Do you know around what time it will be released?
Long way to go buddy...not soon. Maybe it's going to take him 5-6 more months.

From what I've seen and heard, late 2006 is the plan at the moment. In my opinion there is already a release date- when it's ready. It's demanding release dates that makes cricket games rubbish. Be patitent, and you will love this!

another problem in giving release dates is that there will be 100's of posts saying "please release it soon", "why is it taking so long" , blah blah and the most annoying "release it before WC starts" :rolleyes:

and please dont expect a release date for atleast another 6 months.
Be Patient and you guys can relish the fruits of our labour ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread